Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #1341
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaTaco View Post
Well got the front diff and t case oils changed, went to do the rear diff and stripped the fill plug. Anybody got suggestions or ideas to get the fill plug out?
By "stripped the fill plug" do you mean that you rounded the head of the bolt, or did you actually destroy the threads of the bolt/housing?

If you rounded the head, you can get a dremel and CAREFULLY cut or grind two of the surfaces into parallel. Then you can use an adjustable wrench to get it off.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1342
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaTaco View Post
Well got the front diff and t case oils changed, went to do the rear diff and stripped the fill plug. Anybody got suggestions or ideas to get the fill plug out?
What did you do? Round it off with a 12 point? Get a bite on it with Vise Grips, then replace the mangled one with a new one and buy a 6 point socket.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #1343
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
i could of swore my manual said 1.1 quart for my rear diff, or am i smoking crack, i got the regular cab 4x2
Sounds like front . Rear is like 3.1
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #1344
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
By "stripped the fill plug" do you mean that you rounded the head of the bolt, or did you actually destroy the threads of the bolt/housing?

If you rounded the head, you can get a dremel and CAREFULLY cut or grind two of the surfaces into parallel. Then you can use an adjustable wrench to get it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn1911 View Post
What did you do? Round it off with a 12 point? Get a bite on it with Vise Grips, then replace the mangled one with a new one and buy a 6 point socket.
Thanks guys, I used a 6 point in the beginning, it started slipping so I soaked the plug with PB, then tried the socket again, nothing. I then used vise grips and hi-lift handle for leverage, still nothing and rounded it off pretty damn good. Took a file to the plug to make 2 flat edges, tried an adjustable and vise grips again, and now it is destroyed. Not sure who did it last, but im guessing toyota did it before they sold it to me last year. Unless anybody else has got more tips I will probably be taking it into a shop. Thanks again
Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #1345
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I used my impact to get mine off. Mine were also to tight.

On another note. Anyone used the Royal Purple? I was given a few bottles. But WOW these are double the price of the Mobil 1 I got. Cant find much on TW users with them though./
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #1346
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
You could weld a nut to it or get after it with a chisel.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #1347
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Both the local dealer and NAPA use/recommend/sell Valvoline SYN Power full synthetic 75w-90 for limited slip. Both say no additives needed. Only difference is $33 at dealer, $16 at Napa.

Edit: More content.
Just finished mine. Took 3.2 qts for mine. The lower plug was a breeze to loosen. The upper plug was a very different story. Used 6 point socket with standard 1/2 inch drive, damn near had an aneurysm trying to loosen it. Went to my impact next, 1st setting - nothing, 2nd setting - nothing, third setting - finally broke loose. Whoever did it last must have had an 800 pound gorilla jump up and down on a 5 foot beaker bar to tighten it. Good lord!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #1348
Large Member
jmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CIVILIAN/ E-5
Name: Jess
jmarquez808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikoloa Tacoma View Post
Both the local dealer and NAPA use/recommend/sell Valvoline SYN Power full synthetic 75w-90 for limited slip. Both say no additives needed. Only difference is $33 at dealer, $16 at Napa.

Edit: More content.
Just finished mine. Took 3.2 qts for mine. The lower plug was a breeze to loosen. The upper plug was a very different story. Used 6 point socket with standard 1/2 inch drive, damn near had an aneurysm trying to loosen it. Went to my impact next, 1st setting - nothing, 2nd setting - nothing, third setting - finally broke loose. Whoever did it last must have had an 800 pound gorilla jump up and down on a 5 foot beaker bar to tighten it. Good lord!
lmao i usually bust out my breaker bar or a socket wrench with a big pipe for stubborn bastards like this! or my 600lb gorilla, hes usually big enough for the job. lol
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #1349
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I usually pull out the breaker bar as well but with the impact I am directly in front so less chance of rounding off the corners.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #1350
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Changed my diffs again yesterday for the 2nd time.

First time, was at 26,000 miles (3 years ago). Used Mobile 1 75W-90 and 2 bottles Ford XL3 friction modifier.

Yesterday, 59,400 miles and 6 years later. Mobile 1 75W-90 and 1 bottle of XL3 so far. It grumbled almost immediately within the first mile or so until I was able to do my 'diff mixing routine' several times. We'll see what happens after I drive it for a few days.

It's still a *mystery* with Mobile 1 LS compared to 3 years ago and today. This is the one negative thing about Mobile 1 - is that they can't (or don't want to) explain themselves for their 'advertising' of this oil and how confusing it is. Until you actually change your oil and run a diff mixing routine (drive in tight circles / 8's in both directions) -you really and truly don't know how much friction modifiers you'll need.

The front diff oil was still translucent and only slightly dirty. The rear was darker than the front ....but neither of them were nearly as dark/dirty as the OEM fluid I removed 3 years ago. Both magnets had a similar amount (small film) of material on them.

OH yeah, and Thanks to my local Toyota Dealer - who couldn't give me the right part I needed for the front diff drain plug gasket and I discover this after draining it. I just re-used the old one. They gave me two rear gaskets.... The front drain is a bigger and copper looking.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #1351
B/CS Tacoma
brucejoh is on a distinguished road

Name: John
brucejoh's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed my diff fluid.....

I know the book says 3.12 Qts. or something like that but mine just took 4 qts. of Lucas 75w90. When I checked the level with my finger it was just at the bottom of the fill hole. Is it bad to have this much fluid in my diff? should I drain some out? Is it possible to overfill and cause damage?

This was my first diff fluid change on my 2010 TRD Pre runner.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #1352
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejoh View Post
I know the book says 3.12 Qts. or something like that but mine just took 4 qts. of Lucas 75w90. Is it possible to overfill and cause damage?
Sub'd for the answer to this.

This seems similar to the final drive on my m/c. Supposed to drain, then fill till it starts coming out of the fill hole. In essence, cannot overfill the m/c. Wondering if it is the same for the Taco.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #1353
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post

This seems similar to the final drive on my m/c. Supposed to drain, then fill till it starts coming out of the fill hole. In essence, cannot overfill the m/c. Wondering if it is the same for the Taco.

Thanks.
There is probably an official answer but I filled mine til it came out. It was more then it is supposed 2 B. I was worried but its been months now and no problem.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #1354
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
There is probably an official answer but I filled mine til it came out. It was more then it is supposed 2 B. I was worried but its been months now and no problem.
The manual states that over filling the diff, can cause the oil to "froth" or foam up, thus causing the gears to over heat.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #1356
Pill it till you kill it!
DheadTaco is on a distinguished road

DheadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Now you can begin to refill your differential! You should add your LSD additive sometime between your first and second quart of gear oil.

If I have a 2WD PreRunner do I still need to add this additive?

When filling, the oil will begin to run out at some point. Put the plug in the fill hole, and let the gear oil run down into the lenght of the axle shaft. After a few minutes, remove the plug and begin to fill again.

What is the quantity of oil that it call for to put in?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #1357
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejoh View Post
I know the book says 3.12 Qts. or something like that but mine just took 4 qts. of Lucas 75w90. When I checked the level with my finger it was just at the bottom of the fill hole. Is it bad to have this much fluid in my diff? should I drain some out? Is it possible to overfill and cause damage?

This was my first diff fluid change on my 2010 TRD Pre runner.

Thanks.
Was your truck on level ground?

If you were parked with the nose pointing downhill - your essentially over filling it.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #1358
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DheadTaco View Post

If I have a 2WD PreRunner do I still need to add this additive?

What is the quantity of oil that it call for to put in?
Only if you have a mechanical LS Diff, as indicated by the sticker on the axel, as in the pic in the first post.
and it takes 3 quarts.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #1359
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Did you take into account the amount left in each quart. I use a pump and have about a quarter quart left in each jug so there for it wilm take 4 quarts to get 3.12qt's.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #1360
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Changed my diffs again yesterday for the 2nd time.

First time, was at 26,000 miles (3 years ago). Used Mobile 1 75W-90 and 2 bottles Ford XL3 friction modifier.

Yesterday, 59,400 miles and 6 years later. Mobile 1 75W-90 and 1 bottle of XL3 so far. It grumbled almost immediately within the first mile or so until I was able to do my 'diff mixing routine' several times. We'll see what happens after I drive it for a few days.
FOR Mechanical LSD only
It's been several days....but I had to add 1/2 bottle of friction modifier to prevent the diff from rumbling for a total of 1.5 bottles.

Even though Mobile 1 says they put friction modifier in the 75W-90....it's not much - if any at all.

Products Discussed in this Thread