LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #1381
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

Name: David
byrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The funny thing is.... I emailed Mobile 1 about their 'friction modifier' wanting to know what it is and how much is in a bottle ... But they can't seem to answer my email.
Now that's pretty sad that a company that big can't supply an answer to a simple question about their own product. I have used Valvoline since the late 70s in all my vehicles with no problems and see no point in changing what's not broken.
However, I have switched to using Royal Purple in my transmission with good results, having the 6 speed and when I bought this truck it had a slight grind going into 3rd gear every so often, I have not had that grind since the switch 2 months ago. Shifting is much smoother as well. Time will tell. When I bought this truck at 47k it had factory fill for all gear oils. Now at 52k all has been changed and everything runs smooth.
Good luck in getting your answer, I don't know it since I've never used Mobil oil.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #1382
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
This may seem obvious (as it did to me about 20 seconds too late to be helpful), but one thing I just learned the hard and very scary way:

If you're going to use any sort of tubing to get the oil into the pumpkin, make sure the tubing you use is too long to fit all the way into the diff. I got to spend a good hour with a flashlight and wire hanger fishing out a 4-inch piece of nylon hose which I had stuck on the nipple of the oil bottles I had to get some extension and visibility for when the oil was flowing or not - didn't occur to me that this was a bad idea until the hose slipped off of the bottle and sank into the 2/5 quarts of fluid I already had put in (and then had to drain back out and try to funnel back into the bottles so I could put it back in).
Old 06-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #1383
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
Now that's pretty sad that a company that big can't supply an answer to a simple question about their own product. I have used Valvoline since the late 70s in all my vehicles with no problems and see no point in changing what's not broken.
However, I have switched to using Royal Purple in my transmission with good results, having the 6 speed and when I bought this truck it had a slight grind going into 3rd gear every so often, I have not had that grind since the switch 2 months ago. Shifting is much smoother as well. Time will tell. When I bought this truck at 47k it had factory fill for all gear oils. Now at 52k all has been changed and everything runs smooth.
Good luck in getting your answer, I don't know it since I've never used Mobil oil.
I couldn't agree more. I asked a similar question on their facebook page - and got a 'generic' response. I've read this same paragraph on their website.
https://www.facebook.com/mobil1/post...t=feed_comment

Hi Jandy - Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid. Thanks for using Mobil 1!

They could theoretically claim they put it in ...but that statement covers just about every situation on the planet. I've always used Mobile 1 and the changes they've claimed over the years never cease to confuse the crap out of me (to the point they're not believable).

We have used Amsoil Severe Gear in our Corvette diff. That's a highly recommended oil for the corvette diffs and its worked great. Not easy or convenient to get a hold of.....

Doesn't matter..... diffs are done, chatter is gone (after 1.5bottles). In 3 years from now when I'm ready to do it again - things will probably be different and confusing once again.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #1384
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgreene View Post
This may seem obvious (as it did to me about 20 seconds too late to be helpful), but one thing I just learned the hard and very scary way:

If you're going to use any sort of tubing to get the oil into the pumpkin, make sure the tubing you use is too long to fit all the way into the diff. I got to spend a good hour with a flashlight and wire hanger fishing out a 4-inch piece of nylon hose which I had stuck on the nipple of the oil bottles I had to get some extension and visibility for when the oil was flowing or not - didn't occur to me that this was a bad idea until the hose slipped off of the bottle and sank into the 2/5 quarts of fluid I already had put in (and then had to drain back out and try to funnel back into the bottles so I could put it back in).
Won't do that again!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #1385
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
If u use anti -seize on this do u have to lower the ft- lbs when u torque them down? I will be working on this this weekend. Got some anti- seize I thought about using on all my diffs. Since I've already heard stories about how hard some are to get out the first time, though mainly its the front diff and transfer case I've heard of issues from.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #1386
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

byrd's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have any problem breaking loose any of my drain/fill plugs on my diffs, transfer case nor tranny from the factory fill. I also didn't use a 24MM socket as it felt a little loose on the nut. I used a 6 point 15/16 socket which fit on tight. As for the 10MM hex I took a hammer and tapped it in and then slipped the racket on. No issues.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use anti-seize on them.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1387
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't have any problem breaking loose any of my drain/fill plugs on my diffs, transfer case nor tranny from the factory fill. I also didn't use a 24MM socket as it felt a little loose on the nut. I used a 6 point 15/16 socket which fit on tight. As for the 10MM hex I took a hammer and tapped it in and then slipped the racket on. No issues.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use anti-seize on them.
Good info on the 15/16 socket. I did the math and you're right, it is slightly smaller than a 24mm. I haven't done mine yet but I did buy a 24mm for it, and I'm betting that I already have a 15/16. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1388
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
As for the 10MM hex I took a hammer and tapped it in and then slipped the racket on. No issues.
What is the 10mm hex for? Not sure if I've forgot something or simply overlooked.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #1389

byrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post
What is the 10mm hex for? Not sure if I've forgot something or simply overlooked.
10MM hex fits Front Differential fill & drain plugs.

24MM or 15/16 6 point socket will fit Transfer Case, Manual Trans and Rear Differential fill & drain plugs, a 12 point socket from what I've read can cause the bolt head to strip and/or leave marks. My 24MM socket was a 12 point which could be why it felt loose, my 15/16 was a 6 point.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #1390

Thanks! The 24 mm I got from Northern Tools is an el cheapo $5 socket, but it's a 6 point socket. I checked the fit, and it seems snug...
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #1391
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
I have never done this and it seems pretty simple.

I am not exactly the most mechanic savvy person but I am learning a lot from this site. I do my own oil changes, thats about as much as I get into it. ...for now anyways

My 09 DCSB 4X4 (no locker, no TRD) has roughly 65K on it and I dont know when this was done last. I imagine there is some nasty stuff in there.

Any advice for a first timer. I guess I am concerned about seals, leaks etc. I do have the LSD and I am a bit confused regarding whether an additive is needed or not. Right now everything is fine and I dont want to mess anything up.

Thank you all for the info and wish me luck!

AT Fluid change and Front transfer case fluid change maybe next if this goes well.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #1392
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post

I am not exactly the most mechanic savvy person but I am learning a lot from this site. I do my own oil changes, thats about as much as I get into it. ...for now anyways

My 09 DCSB 4X4 (no locker, no TRD) has roughly 65K on it and I dont know when this was done last. I imagine there is some nasty stuff in there.

Any advice for a first timer. I guess I am concerned about seals, leaks etc. I do have the LSD and I am a bit confused regarding whether an additive is needed or not. Right now everything is fine and I dont want to mess anything up.

AT Fluid change and Front transfer case fluid change maybe next if this goes well.
You have an 09 which should have the AUTO LSD -which is brake actuated. You do not need friction modifier.

But to be safe, walk around to the rear of your truck and take a look at your rear diff. If there's a red/white sticker that says "Only LSD Oil", then you'll need friction modifier. I'd post a photo of the sticker but I can't do it with the phone.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #1393
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
NOTE: 2009 and newer trucks do NOT need LS Diff addative, or TRD Off Road trucks with the factory locker.

You only need the additive if you have this sticker ^^
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #1394
Jayhawker is on a distinguished road

Jayhawker's Tacoma Gallery
I need an opinion.

At 60k I changed the oil in the rear on my 06 Taco. 80W-90 with a LSD additive.

I'm 18K down the road and I noticed a chatter. So here's the question.
More additive or drain and start over?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #1395
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post

In my situation, I overfilled and syphoned some out. I didn't really notice chatter, but did experience the inside wheel spinning where it normally wouldn't.
I added a little more additive. Also, someone here mentioned "figure 8s"; I went to an open parking lot and did a couple slow, tight, figure 8s, and gave it some more time. It seems fine now. It may just take a while to mix all the fluids properly.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #1396
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post

Maybe your fluid is low?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #1397
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Couple questions before I change the diff oil front & rear as well as the t case oil..

What should the fill and drain plug be torqued at for the front & rear? This thread says 36lb-ft for both while another thread says the front diff fill plug should be torqued at 29lb-ft and the drain plug at 48lb-ft. Doesn't say anything about the rear..
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nge-howto.html

So what should I torque the fill/drain plugs for the front & rear diff?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #1398

byrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmo View Post
Couple questions before I change the diff oil front & rear as well as the t case oil..

What should the fill and drain plug be torqued at for the front & rear? This thread says 36lb-ft for both while another thread says the front diff fill plug should be torqued at 29lb-ft and the drain plug at 48lb-ft. Doesn't say anything about the rear..
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nge-howto.html

So what should I torque the fill/drain plugs for the front & rear diff?
Manual states this:
Front Differential: Fill Plug 29 ft-lbs Drain Plug 48 ft-lbs
Rear Differential: Fill/Drain plugs 36 ft-lbs
Transfer Case: Fill/Drain plugs 27 ft-lbs
Manual Transmission: Fill/Drain plugs 27 ft-lbs
Automatic Transmission: Filter bolts 84 in-lbs....Fluid pan bolts 65 in-lbs....Drain plug 15 ft-lbs.......Overflow plug 15 ft-lbs......Refill plug 29 ft-lbs

Jeez, glad I don't have an automatic
Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #1399
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
I have an auto . Thanks for the info, though!

Products Discussed in this Thread