Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #1461
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought some Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 for my rear diff. While I was picking up spark plugs and an oil filter at the dealership I asked how much for their gear oil... $30 for synthetic 75w-140, one quart. Same as I paid for three.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #1462
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devux View Post
Just bought some Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 for my rear diff. While I was picking up spark plugs and an oil filter at the dealership I asked how much for their gear oil... $30 for synthetic 75w-140, one quart. Same as I paid for three.
I got 6qts of Mobile 1 for less than $50 at Advanced Auto a week or so ago thanks to a 40% off coupon they were running.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #1463
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
My local Autozone gets like $21 bucks a quart for mobil 1. I get it at this local wholesale place called Bi-lo here and i pay $7.99 a quart. I hope they never stop carrying it, probaly should buy 6 more just to have on hand.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #1464
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
My local Autozone gets like $21 bucks a quart for mobil 1. I get it at this local wholesale place called Bi-lo here and i pay $7.99 a quart. I hope they never stop carrying it, probaly should buy 6 more just to have on hand.
Yeah, Advanced had it for $10.99/qt as I recall. Not an amazing price in and of itself but with that 40% off I wasn't finding it cheaper anywhere else that's for sure. I think my price was $48 for 6qts after tax and everything.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #1465
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
I am confused about what gear oil to buy for my 2011 4WD without the LSD. Should I use the Redline 75w85 or should I use something else like Mobil1, which I can only find in 75w90 in my area?

This is what my diff looks like - no LSD sticker. Please help. Totally confused here.

http://postimg.org/image/lzg2g4n6d/
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #1466
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman01 View Post
I am confused about what gear oil to buy for my 2011 4WD without the LSD. Should I use the Redline 75w85 or should I use something else like Mobil1, which I can only find in 75w90 in my area?

This is what my diff looks like - no LSD sticker. Please help. Totally confused here.

http://postimg.org/image/lzg2g4n6d/
I just did mine with mobil 1 75w 90. No problems so far. Also, I regularly tow a boat at 2500 lbs. I have a regular cab base model.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #1467
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Do 1st gens use the same 75-90 gear oil?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #1468
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
First gens call for 80-90 i think in the rear end and 75-90 in the TC and FD. I use 75-90 in all 3. Just 5 degrees difference.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1469
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kevin
wheelerkr2's Tacoma Gallery
Was just trying to do this and i cant get the first bolt out, i tried oiling it to loosen it up but im afraid of stripping it, any recommendations?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1470
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerkr2 View Post
Was just trying to do this and i cant get the first bolt out, i tried oiling it to loosen it up but im afraid of stripping it, any recommendations?
PB Blaster and let it soak in a fairly long while...like maybe overnight?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #1471
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm hoping you mean the fill plug! If so, do what Moose said, soak it in PB blaster, just keep dosing it every couple hours and trying to work the bolt loose. If that doesn't work, you might have to resort to a little bit of heat.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #1472
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kevin
wheelerkr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm hoping you mean the fill plug! If so, do what Moose said, soak it in PB blaster, just keep dosing it every couple hours and trying to work the bolt loose. If that doesn't work, you might have to resort to a little bit of heat.
haha yes i mean the fill plug, im gonna pick up some PB blaster, if that doesn't work ill have to wait to go to my dads garage as i have minimal tools at my apartment.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1473
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
PB Blaster and let it soak in a fairly long while...like maybe overnight?
He's alive!!! How's it going Rob?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #1474
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
First gens call for 80-90 i think in the rear end and 75-90 in the TC and FD. I use 75-90 in all 3. Just 5 degrees difference.
Thanks Kelly, I got ahold of a online manual and it calls for 80-90 or 90, so i picked up enough 80-90 to do my rear diff, which I might be doing today
Old 10-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #1475

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha yes i mean the fill plug, im gonna pick up some PB blaster, if that doesn't work ill have to wait to go to my dads garage as i have minimal tools at my apartment.
Yea, you need a quality 6pt 24mm socket preferably in the half inch drive flavor an a 15" breaker bar.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #1476
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea, you need a quality 6pt 24mm socket preferably in the half inch drive flavor an a 15" breaker bar.
I got it done, i did get a 6 point 24mm socket the other day, and my uncle happened to have a real long 1/2'' ratchet.

The E-brake cable is right in the way though, and i didn't have a pump but i was able to use 2 funnels to get the diff full.
Gonna top it off tomorrow, i think i filled it on a slight incline, so it may not be filled all the way.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #1477
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
He's alive!!! How's it going Rob?
PM'd
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #1478
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
In my situation, I overfilled and syphoned some out. I didn't really notice chatter, but did experience the inside wheel spinning where it normally wouldn't.
I added a little more additive. Also, someone here mentioned "figure 8s"; I went to an open parking lot and did a couple slow, tight, figure 8s, and gave it some more time. It seems fine now. It may just take a while to mix all the fluids properly.
This is an update from my post #1395.
I had about 4K miles on this fluid change and was starting to feel vibrations. It was strange and only happened on the first drive of the day, backing out of the driveway; after that it would be ok. As I would back out and cut the wheel, I could feel the vibrations through the seat; then again pulling forward, wheel cut the opposite way ... That was about it.
I had read where the "Dino" oil performed better in the rear, so I changed it out again. This time I used Valvoline HD, 75/90 with the additive, of course. Same procedure that I mentioned above, looking silly in the HS parking lot going in circles, but all seems fine.
I must not have dropped the spare tire the first time, but let me tell you, what a big difference ... I bailed on the pump and was able to fill the diff by the bottle alone.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #1479
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
This is an update from my post #1395.
I had about 4K miles on this fluid change and was starting to feel vibrations. It was strange and only happened on the first drive of the day, backing out of the driveway; after that it would be ok. As I would back out and cut the wheel, I could feel the vibrations through the seat; then again pulling forward, wheel cut the opposite way ... That was about it.
I had read where the "Dino" oil performed better in the rear, so I changed it out again. This time I used Valvoline HD, 75/90 with the additive, of course. Same procedure that I mentioned above, looking silly in the HS parking lot going in circles, but all seems fine.
I must not have dropped the spare tire the first time, but let me tell you, what a big difference ... I bailed on the pump and was able to fill the diff by the bottle alone.
dropping the spare made it MUCH easier for me. gave me more room to crawl under there too.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #1480
marcom13 is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt,3rd Special Forces Group
marcom13's Tacoma Gallery
Cool diff fluid change

Hi,
I'm new and stupid about this, I'm still reeling from my taco which should be able to pull 5100 GVWR but mechanics at Toyota World say the frame is so rusted they won't clear it for 3000 GVWR. Anyway, that's another thread. I will be changing my diff gear oil, I have a 2001 TRD with Factory locker so I won't need any additive. I hope I read that correctly!?! The write up and pics will be very helpful just as soon as I unrust the nuts from the axel pumpkin.
Thanks again,
by the way, I'm marcom 13, 2001 Taci TRD 4x4 150k and rusted to hell, underneath. Drives good!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in this Thread