Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #1481
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
You read exactly right, no additive is needed in yours. Sorry about all the rust, but good news is you might get a new frame soon. I dont know how all that works but quite a few have. Welcome!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #1482
YoterHead is on a distinguished road
YoterHead's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot washer

Just changed my rear diff oil tonight....

Has anyone else forgot to put the small washer on the drain plug?

I didn't see it in the oil pan until I was already done with the change. So, I didn't exactly want to take out the bolt at that point.

Think I'll be okay? I'm torqued to spec. No visible drips, etc.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #1483
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoterHead View Post
Just changed my rear diff oil tonight....

Has anyone else forgot to put the small washer on the drain plug?

I didn't see it in the oil pan until I was already done with the change. So, I didn't exactly want to take out the bolt at that point.

Think I'll be okay? I'm torqued to spec. No visible drips, etc.

You're referring to the crush washer? That part is not optional. You'll likely develop a leak with the expansion/contraction of the housing.

You really need to bite the bullet and chalk this one up as a learning experience. Go to the dealer and purchase 2 new washers (drain and fill ports) for about $2 each. Then drain the lube. Call it an expensive flushing of the diff

Some people re-use the crush washer, but you're supposed to replace them. The reason you torque is to properly crush and seal the drain plug against the crush washer.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #1484
No. I don't think this is a crush washer. There was not a crush washer on there. This is what I'm looking at.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #1485
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Thats the crush washer. You need to put it back on or replace it with a new one. Tip: Never let the plug fall into the bucket. I dont recall off hand which way the washer goes so i hold it until i clean it up and see which way it goes on the plug before sliding it off. I have never installed a new one and never a leak.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #1486
Wtaco42
LaborisAmust2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Roy
LaborisAmust2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again this was a great right up did mine last week bought some attachment for the quart bottles that had a clear plastic tube 3 ft or so long and was able turn the oil upside down in the wheel well right side of spare tire seemed to go faster with know mess. Walmart quart bottle attachment 3 or 4 $. Kendall 75-80w gear oil compatible with LSD rears. Thanks again LaborisAMust2.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #1487
Well son of a b****

I wonder how little I can spill while trying to get that thing back on?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #1488
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well son of a b****

I wonder how little I can spill while trying to get that thing back on?
Just a thought...but if you put it up high enough and use a funnel to bottle or just a clean catch can of some sort, you could probably pump the oil right back in.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Just a thought...but if you put it up high enough and use a funnel to bottle or just a clean catch can of some sort, you could probably pump the oil right back in.
Yeah I could do that. I've got some extra oil left over too. I'd just have to buy a new pump. I bought a brand new pump yesterday and the thing broke after like 5 pumps. I had to hold the pieces together while pumping...

Maybe the oil won't come out as fast if I leave the fill plug on while I get the washer back on there.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #1490
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I could do that. I've got some extra oil left over too. I'd just have to buy a new pump. I bought a brand new pump yesterday and the thing broke after like 5 pumps. I had to hold the pieces together while pumping...

Maybe the oil won't come out as fast if I leave the fill plug on while I get the washer back on there.
Bummer ... surprised mine has lasted thru ... hmmm ... 2 complete driveline fluid changes now. If you put it up high on jack stands or ramps and move quick (have that washer ready, plug out washer on, plug back in) you'll probably only have to put back a quart or less. But have the right clothes on ... cause there's bound to be some splash. Good luck and we'll be waiting to hear how it goes.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #1491

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I use the marine lower unit pump from Wal-mart and it has done the truck and numerous lower unit changes on my boat. Still going strong. Somebody else had the vato zone one break also.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #1492
Remember to lube your brake pads and tire treads!
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
I use the marine lower unit pump from Wal-mart and it has done the truck and numerous lower unit changes on my boat. Still going strong. Somebody else had the vato zone one break also.
this one? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Unified-Ma...-Pump/29363647
i need a pump that fits the quart size diff bottles
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #1494

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
this one? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Unified-Ma...-Pump/29363647
i need a pump that fits the quart size diff bottles
Yep, just like it. Think it was Attwood brand in the store or maybe even Mercury.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #1495
Remember to lube your brake pads and tire treads!
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Yep, just like it. Think it was Attwood brand in the store or maybe even Mercury.
cool, thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #1496
I got the crush washer back on there and barely lost an ounce or two. It wasn't so bad.

And I haven't read this whole thread. But I have a 05-08 mechanical LSD and I asked the dealer what they used in them. He sold me this:

Synthetic oil and friction modifier. But he swore by the stuff. I'll update if I ever have an problems with it.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #1497
JcTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: TONY
JcTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up. So today my plan was to drain and fill my rear differential but everything came to a halt when I couldn't brake loose the fill plug. Anyone have this problem? Should I try a braker bar or heat the plug or just try it after a day of driving ?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #1498
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcTacoma View Post
Good write up. So today my plan was to drain and fill my rear differential but everything came to a halt when I couldn't brake loose the fill plug. Anyone have this problem? Should I try a braker bar or heat the plug or just try it after a day of driving ?
Breaker bar
Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #1499
JcTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: TONY
JcTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks, and it's counter clockwise right? Just want to make sure
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #1500
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcTacoma View Post
Cool thanks, and it's counter clockwise right? Just want to make sure
Yup. Righty tighty, lefty loosey

Best to use a 6 pt socket, not a 12 pt

Products Discussed in this Thread