Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #1601
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIN8124 View Post
Awesome! Thank you Chris!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #1602
ehp is on a distinguished road
Navy: NUSC
Name: ED
ehp's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil one has 75-90 LSD can I use that in my rear that has Auto LSD
Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #1603
Wired is on a distinguished road

Wired's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Noob question. Does it take all 3 Qts of the oil to fill the rear diff?

I have the TRD Sport 2x4.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #1605
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehp View Post
Mobil one has 75-90 LSD can I use that in my rear that has Auto LSD
Thanks
Yes.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #1606
BRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRUIN8124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
BRUIN8124's Tacoma Gallery
DONE! Piece of cake! I had a bitch of a time getting the fill plug loose but I got it eventually.

Thank you all for the help! ...and the extra change in my pocket from doing it myself!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #1607
Sheepshead45 is on a distinguished road
Sheepshead45's Tacoma Gallery
OK maybe this has been covered here but I have a question/problem.

I recently changed my diff fluid (3rd time 90k miles) and when I tightened the fill bolt I'm pretty sure I stripped it. Seemed like I just got past setting the new crush washer when it started slipping, you know the feeling.

So I just left it where is was, so far no leakage but I'm sure it's a matter of time. So, what should I do? I'm wondering if maybe the bolt threads are softer & designed to fail there rather than the diff case. Can I just buy a new fill plug? Or does this mean a trip to a shop for a real repair?

Thanks & sorry if this is repeat maybe point me to post #!!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #1608
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Part number for crush washers on what page?

Just found them: 12157-10010 - Need 3 2 for rear diff and 1 for front diff fill plug. Invoice price $1.23
90430-18008 - Need 2 both for the T Case. Invoice price $1.51
90430-24003 - Need 1 for front diff drain plug. Invoice price $1.74 - Brass
Old 04-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #1610
rtkbowhunter is on a distinguished road
rtkbowhunter's Tacoma Gallery
First, thanks to folks like Brian and Chris, with what seems like a limitless supply of patience in answering questions.

Dealer did the 30k service. Plugs, fluids, rotate tires, just shy of $600.00. Never again. I'm doing the 60k myself. So I'm heading to Advanced Auto to pick up fluids for changing the rear and front diff, plus the transfer case. My Taco is an '11 SR5 quad cab with auto LSD. I planned on getting 6qts of Mobil1 syn 75-90 LS. Ok, to use in all three, front, transfer and rear?

Apologies, if this has been asked and answered previously.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkbowhunter View Post
First, thanks to folks like Brian and Chris, with what seems like a limitless supply of patience in answering questions.

Dealer did the 30k service. Plugs, fluids, rotate tires, just shy of $600.00. Never again. I'm doing the 60k myself. So I'm heading to Advanced Auto to pick up fluids for changing the rear and front diff, plus the transfer case. My Taco is an '11 SR5 quad cab with auto LSD. I planned on getting 6qts of Mobil1 syn 75-90 LS. Ok, to use in all three, front, transfer and rear?

Yeah, you would be fine using it in all 3.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #1612
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If U haven't gone already - buy on line - use code TRT30 - pick up at local store - save 30%
Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #1613
rtkbowhunter is on a distinguished road
rtkbowhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
If U haven't gone already - buy on line - use code TRT30 - pick up at local store - save 30%
You read my mind. 6qts of Mobil1, small pump, $53 and change. Just savin' all kinds of money today!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #1614
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You read my mind. 6qts of Mobil1, small pump, $53 and change. Just savin' all kinds of money today!
DIY saves U the most $$ but 30% ain't bad on parts Enjoy your day of wrenching - beautiful here in Joisey
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #1615
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
You just saved me $30! Thank you
Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #1617
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm sorry but we're no longer allowing people from New Jersey to come to Colorado.

I don't make the rules....
Old 04-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #1618
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia View Post
I'm sorry but we're no longer allowing people from New Jersey to come to Colorado.

I don't make the rules....
U R just too damn cheap 2 buy a guy a beer and U R taking advantage of the rules to further line your pockets after I saved U $30
Old 04-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #1619
MichelinMan

I may be able to arrange a two day visa. No way I'm going to jersey though... Snookie scares me

Products Discussed in this Thread