Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #1661
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I had the LS diff on my '07, and it wasn't a sport either.

Susan, On the '05, thru '08, and LS Diff was an option on the SR5 trucks. Not sure why Brian said TRD Sport's only.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #1662
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

Susan, On the '05, thru '08, and LS Diff was an option on the SR5 trucks. Not sure why Brian said TRD Sport's only.
Because he's watching you through your side window, over the wall, in the bushes.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:31 AM   #1663
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffaz1 View Post
So you only need to buy the pump for the transfer case, right?
I've done both the snaked tube method and the pump method.

The pump I bought is cheap and less hassle. By the time you snake all the tubing and connect it all up, you might as well just screw on the pump (I had to use duct tape for a tight seal) and pump.

It took about 2 or 3 minutes. I then soaked the pump overnight in soapy water, and it is ready to use again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #1664
devkurf will become famous soon enough

devkurf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I just changed it on my 05 non-TRD Sr5, and it has the LS option. Thanks for the write-up.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #1665
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks Chris.... didn't know that. Maybe update the first post
Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #1666
Jeffaz1 is on a distinguished road
Jeffaz1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks so much for the tutorial and everyone else for sharing their advice because I was a little hesitant, but did this last night and had no problem. I had to buy the 24mm socket and breaker bar, but neither plug gave me any trouble. It definitely looked like it needed changed. So there is now one more thing I know how to do to my truck!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #1667
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffaz1 View Post
Thanks so much for the tutorial and everyone else for sharing their advice because I was a little hesitant, but did this last night and had no problem. I had to buy the 24mm socket and breaker bar, but neither plug gave me any trouble. It definitely looked like it needed changed. So there is now one more thing I know how to do to my truck!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #1668
K Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shed
K Williams's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to K Williams
Well...the dealership is supposed to "inspect" the diff oil at 15,000 miles. My truck is there and they better do what I paid for. Will be checking for wrenching marks on the plug when I go to pick it up! I don't trust these stealerships for nothing.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #1670
jackbower6864 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
jackbower6864's Tacoma Gallery
check out this video

this will explain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewxaVYNiRk
Old 07-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #1671
Stlcardsfan is on a distinguished road
Stlcardsfan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the awesome write up! I was a little intimidated having never done this before but the step by step gave me the courage to try. I have an 08 2.7L with 105K miles on it and I doubt this service has ever been performed on the truck.

All jobs are remarkably easier with the proper tools and in my case I do not have jack stands or a breaker bar - both would have been very useful for this service. So, laying on my back with very little room to work and a 3/8 ratchet made it extremely difficult to remove the fill plug. I hit it with some PB Blaster and let it sit overnight, hit it with a hammer a few hundred times and tried with all my might to get that sucker off until I was about to give up. Then, while laying in my bed this morning and brainstorming about my predicament I came up with a solution that others may find useful. I placed the ratchet on the drain plug and angled it downward at a 45 degree angle and held it to the plug with the sole of my boot. I then slid the cup of my hydraulic jack under the ratchet and jacked it up.....Ta Da!!! Bolt came loose and I celebrated in amazement.

The oil that came out of that thing was absolutely disgusting: Dark brown, very cloudy and very thick (sludge). So glad I did this and I hope no major damage was done by waiting so long. I didn't see any metal in the oil though. Thanks again for the instructions guys. This forum rocks!
Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #1672
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlcardsfan View Post
Thanks for the awesome write up! I was a little intimidated having never done this before but the step by step gave me the courage to try. I have an 08 2.7L with 105K miles on it and I doubt this service has ever been performed on the truck.

All jobs are remarkably easier with the proper tools and in my case I do not have jack stands or a breaker bar - both would have been very useful for this service. So, laying on my back with very little room to work and a 3/8 ratchet made it extremely difficult to remove the fill plug. I hit it with some PB Blaster and let it sit overnight, hit it with a hammer a few hundred times and tried with all my might to get that sucker off until I was about to give up. Then, while laying in my bed this morning and brainstorming about my predicament I came up with a solution that others may find useful. I placed the ratchet on the drain plug and angled it downward at a 45 degree angle and held it to the plug with the sole of my boot. I then slid the cup of my hydraulic jack under the ratchet and jacked it up.....Ta Da!!! Bolt came loose and I celebrated in amazement.

The oil that came out of that thing was absolutely disgusting: Dark brown, very cloudy and very thick (sludge). So glad I did this and I hope no major damage was done by waiting so long. I didn't see any metal in the oil though. Thanks again for the instructions guys. This forum rocks!
You might want to double check your seals for leakage and consider putting in a diff breather mod if you put the back wheels in water sometimes.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #1673
HAWAIIAN
808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Cyber Transport Systems
Name: Lawson
808TacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna change my fluids sometime this week when it gets delivered. Can't wait to see how bad it is. Don't know if it was ever changed. Bought the truck at 100k. One prior owner, but I put on almost 20k in two years.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #1675
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug.McKee View Post
I ended up buying some Lucas 75-90 synthetic. Is this all right, just wasn't sure about it being synthetic?
Should be fine,
Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #1676
Doug.McKee is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Doug
Doug.McKee's Tacoma Gallery
This may be a stupid question but when you say to replace the fill plug do you mean to get a new one or put the old one back on. Just wanted to make sure before I did this today.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #1677
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
^^^ Put the old one back on.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #1678
Doug.McKee is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Doug
Doug.McKee's Tacoma Gallery
everything worked out fine thanks for the help. It definetly looked like it needed it. When I took out the plug there was a bunch of crud on the end...didn't know if that was normal.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #1679
Professional Threadjacker
Chopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChopper678 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
Chopper678's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #1680
Z E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of lightZ E R 0 is a glorious beacon of light
Z E R 0's Tacoma Gallery
Subdd

Products Discussed in this Thread