Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Changing differential fluid - A step by step "HOW TO"

NOTE: 2009 and newer trucks do NOT need LS Diff addative, or TRD Off Road trucks with the factory locker.

Yesterday we (Chris4x4, and I) got together to help you all change your diff fluid.

Here is what is required;

-24mm socket (1st gen diff may be a different size)
-ratchet
-rags/shop towels
-milk jug or coffe can... EMPTY ofcourse!
-3 qts 75-90 weight gear oil ( I used 80-90 becasue it was readily available)

(for you guy like me w/ the Sport model, you'll need a 4oz. tube of LSD additive).

First step is to remove the higher of the two plugs ("fill/vent plug").

Step two, remove the lower plug ("drain plug"). Be sure your jug/can/tub/pan is handy.

While the old gear oil is draining, take the time to clean off the magnet on the end of the plug.

When the oil has completely drained, replace the lower or "drain plug".

Now you can begin to refill your differential! You should add your LSD additive sometime between your first and second quart of gear oil.

When filling, the oil will begin to run out at some point. Put the plug in the fill hole, and let the gear oil run down into the lenght of the axle shaft. After a few minutes, remove the plug and begin to fill again.

Remember to replace your fill plug! And to torque the fill plug, and drain plug to 36 ft- lbs

EDIT-
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89
Hey there, I just wanted to let you know, so you can update, that the first gen uses the same size 24mm socket.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
BADASS!!! good write up guys!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
great write up!!! should be stickied! i forgot all about doing a write up when i did mine on the 06, and again when i did mine on the 04!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Awesome write up!

When will I need to do this?
I think its recomended at 15,000 miles.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
When i changed mine a while back, it was the worst smelling shit ever.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
When i changed mine a while back, it was the worst smelling shit ever.
Yeah, it doesnt smell good. Brian thought he smelled it in his truck when we were finished.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Ok, thanks. That'll give me something extra to do on mod day.
actually...every 30k.......but change it early and go with synthetic!!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
think this is like trans fluid? if its never been done, dont do it? Ive got 125K on my 96, and ive never done the trans,coolant or rear fluid since ive had it(got it at 61K).
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
actually...every 30k.......but change it early and go with synthetic!!
Ah. Ok. I change mine every 15k or so, but I tow a boat, and dunk the rear in the water often. FWIW, I havent found a synthetic that works good in the LSD rear of the second gens.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget, if you have 4WD, there is also a front differential and different tools required to change the fluid.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
so whos gonna do a write up on the front diff? lol
Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
think this is like trans fluid? if its never been done, dont do it? Ive got 125K on my 96, and ive never done the trans,coolant or rear fluid since ive had it(got it at 61K).

oh gawd, change it!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
For those who haven't done it before, you may want to get one of these to make it easier to get the fluid in.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
For those who haven't done it before, you may want to get one of these to make it easier to get the fluid in.

Thats a good thing to have. I have only needed to use them on the front diff, and transfer case, as I have found the rear has enough room to just pour it in from the bottle.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have a 24mm socket, which I didn't, a 15/16s socket will work, thats what I used on diff and 5 speed oil changes a few weeks back.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
I got fisted

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
oh gawd, change it!

is it safe? I dont wanna "shock" it
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes its safe. You may feel much more power in fact, as the gears dont have to try and transmit power thru thickass old oil.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should be ok. Probably shouldn't switch to synthetic unless you feel like installing new oils seals as well.

Products Discussed in this Thread