Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug - Questions

Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug - Questions

Coming up on an oil change pretty soon and was thinking about purchasing a magnetic oil drain plug. I have searched the forum and found three posts regarding this topic but I still have a few questions.

First off, there seems to be a question on whether or not my 2010 Tacoma V6 has a magnetic drain plug. Can I get some of you to chime in if you have checked this before?

Secondly, I am going to stay away from filter magnets in any case so most likely I will look for an oil pan drain plug magnet if mine is not already magnetized (personal preference). Does anyone have experience with magnetic oil drain plugs? Since this is an important component I am going to stay away from ebay as well as non reputable companies (again, personal preference).

Here's what I found in the search so far:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...lug-worth.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-results.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...r-magnets.html

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Innovative Fabrication Tools
RogueFab is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
RogueFab's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to assume you are talking about a magnetic crankcase drain plug.

Your truck has magnets in the cases that have gears in them (manual tranny and diffs, xfer case). It doesn't have a magnet in the case that uses journal bearings and very few gears (engine).

I think it is a waste of the 1oz. addition of weight. If you have metal in your crankcase, the magnet can't catch it all because you have a serious problem.

Just spend the money on better oil maybe?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen a few metal chips on some magnetic drain plugs but nothing major. They seem like a good idea but not sure if they really make any difference. I say get one and let us know what you find.