1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thumping noise after front brake install

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JTacoma, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Nov 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    JTacoma

JTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7 4X4 5 speed
    Icon Stage 2 Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 33x12.50x15 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP on American Racing AR201 15x10 wheels, differential drop, carrier bearing drop, BPV bracket, Leer canopy with Rhino Racks
    I just replaced my front rotors and pads with the brembo and hawk combo. Vibrations while braking went away but now I can hear a thumping sound from the front while braking. It won't do it under light braking but it does under normal braking. This was the first time I have changed my own brakes. I think that I did everything correctly and all of the bolts and clips are in tightly. I replaced all clips correctly but the pins that hold the pads in can move left to right 1/8 of an inch by pushing with my hand. I also noticed there is a bad looking rubber bushing on the sway bar. Could this have anything to do with the noise? Is there something that I could have done wrong? Any sugestions? It is hard to tell without looking in person, but does everything look correct?

Here are some pictures, I don't know if they will help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    JTacoma

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7 4X4 5 speed
    Icon Stage 2 Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 33x12.50x15 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP on American Racing AR201 15x10 wheels, differential drop, carrier bearing drop, BPV bracket, Leer canopy with Rhino Racks
  3. Nov 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    JTacoma

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7 4X4 5 speed
    I took a look at the brakes again today. I noticed that the lug bolts weren't centered in the hole on the rotors. I measured the diameter of the old rotors and the lug holes were 14 mm. The new brembo rotors' hole was 15mm. When I move the rotors by hand, they have some play around the lug bolts. I think this is what is causing the chattering and thumping noise when braking. I will try to return them but I don't know if they will take them since they have already been installed.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top