1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear brake squeaking

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BlackSportD, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Aug 13, 2007 at 11:53 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    It sounds as if there is metal to metal squeaking in the rear mostly when I brake, sometimes when I'm off the brakes, sounds like its from the drum brakes, is this the noise made from the device built into the brake pad to let you know its time to change it?

2. Aug 14, 2007 at 12:12 AM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    How many miles you have on the truck?

3. Aug 14, 2007 at 12:42 AM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    137K, just bought it used, the previous owner would get everything looked at and taken care of at the dealer, has fresh tires, oil, tranny fluid etc. Would be surprised that the rear bads are gone seeing how he had the truck maintained.

I know with most brake systems the pads have "indicators" that cause a metallic squeak to inform you that the bad is almost gone. Is it the same for our rear drum brakes (I'm new to drum brakes).

4. Aug 14, 2007 at 8:01 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Thats a good question Blacksport. although my dad's vehicles have drums and i've helped him work on them, i've never actually owned a vehicle with them. i'd like to know if they have an indicator like the disc brakes

5. Aug 14, 2007 at 1:47 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    I would hope there is one, its that, or some small rock or something managed to get in there, or something worse.

6. Aug 14, 2007 at 4:26 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Hey BlacksportD I've had a Toyota pick up since 1989 and even with my 2003 Taco everytime the back brakes squeeled it ended up that the noise was the rivit from the brake pad against the drum. Pull the drums and check before they get gouged to bad and can not be cut. The only place I can see for anything getting into the drum is the small oval hole in the rear of the brake assy. where you make the adjustment. There should be a rubber cap on it.
    Good luck

7. Aug 14, 2007 at 4:30 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    Yeah, check them out ASAP. Drum brakes use brake shoes and do not have a sensor tab to squeal at you when they are low. If you hear metal on metal get them checked soon.

8. Aug 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys, I'll get'er checked out asap.

Products Discussed in

To Top