1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma "Pinging"

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Domreis, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    Domreis

Domreis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pullman
    Hey Everyone,

Obviously I am new here, so I am hoping I am posting this in the right section.

I just bought a White TRD Sport 6 Speed Manual Double Cab and am having a slight issue.

When attemtping to accelerate the engine pings no matter what gear the truck is in or what the RPM's are.

The dealer says that it is just the Winter Blend Gas and when the ECU gets use to the gas it will get better. I have about 2000 miles on the truck and it hasn't gotten better. I have also tried Ethonal free gas with no change.

I test drove a different truck, and that truck didn't do what mine does.

Have you guys experianced this or heard of this? Is the dealers explanation reasonable.

Thanks for your input!

Rambo MARINE Recon likes this.
  2. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Are your running 87 or 91 octane?

3. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The only time mine pings is under full throttle with 87 octane gas. It's just for a second or two, then it goes away. Our gas is as crappy as it gets out here in CA. I pickup 1-2 MPG just by gassing up at the first out of state gas station I come to. Sounds to me like your knock sensor isn't working right. The computer is supposed to detect the knocking and back the timing off to compensate. It's tuned to take advantage of higher octane gas, and that means more timing advance......unless the knock sensor detects "pinging". I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to check it out. 2000 miles is more than enough for the ECU to "learn" all about the gas you use. My dad just bought a 2013 V6 auto. I have driven it, and did not hear any pinging. I seriously doubt he's using anything other than 87 in his.

4. Nov 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    Domreis

Domreis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pullman
    Thanks for the replies. When I first bought the truck I was using 87. Since I have been dealing with the dealer I have been using 91 ethanol free from a CFN in Moscow ID. I have ran 2 tanks of the ethanol free since I took it to the dealer last, and am still having the problem. I have however seen and increase in MPG with the ethanol free. I averaged 16 with the 87 and am getting 19 with the 91. I also noticed improved acceleration, but still have the knocking.

5. Nov 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    west467

west467 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Black Tacos..03 and 09
    I have a 2009 Prerunner V6, it runs outstanding on Shell Premium I think it is 93 octane here in North Florida. I have tried other brands of premium gas and my Taco pings on everything but the Shell premium. It is really bad on the regular unleaded. I think some of the Toyota's V6 engines are tuned differently, and you(OP) and I may have one.

And when it is cold out, along with the Shell premium...it runs great.

In my case premium gas makes a big difference, that's all I buy now.

Good luck try some and get back to us.

6. Nov 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Should not be pinging no matter what... take it to dealer (insist on talking to the regional manager for Toyota), there is a problem! A sensor automatically adjusts engine timing to run correct on any kind of gasoline sold in North America... Engine timing not adjusted is why the engine is pre-igniting (pinging)... It will destroy your motor if unchecked! Pinging is the rattle of the cylinder meeting the flame front while it is still moving UP... and the flame front is trying to push it back down.

7. Nov 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    west467

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My guess is Toyota will do nothing for the OP.

8. Nov 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Why so negative? It is a new truck and it is not functional as is.

9. Nov 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    west467

Member:
    Vehicle:

I have owned 4 Toyota's in the past 10 years, two brand new. One was a first year production Camry (2007). The others have been one 2nd gen Tacoma, and two 1st gen Tacomas. The Tacoma's have been much better quality related to my Camry experience, and are great trucks. Toyota has been getting better with their quality, however they do not listen to their customer. I still think, they think they are as big as Detroit was years ago, and really only care about production, and sales. I sure hope the OP gets some resolve to the problem. I have not been very satisfied with Toyota's attempt at resolving issues, especically after spending $50,000 on new vehicles in the past 6 years or so. I really like my Tacoma trucks and think they are a great value, I just see the quality declining.

My 2009 V6 runs great on Shell premium, even know Toyota says it should run on 87.

Good luck OP, and please let us know how things turn out.

My 2cents!

10. Aug 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    knightrider3x

knightrider3x New Member

Member:
    Lodi Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 PreRunner
    I too have a 2013 which was purchased in Sept 2012. Over the past two months I have noticed a pinging or knocking during acceleration. It only happens in the afternoon on a hot day with the AC on. the Knocking is progressively getting louder and louder (loud enough to hear over the AC). It also only does it when the truck is lugging in-between gears.

At my last oil change at the dealership I informed them of the noise. later that afternoon I got the truck back and they said they could not get the truck to reproduce the noise. Of course it was cooler that day. What should I do?

What was the outcome of your "Pinging" noise OP?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  11. Aug 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    graywolf2011

graywolf2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma 4X4
    undercover hard toneau, stainless steel nfab step bars
    I have the same "rattle", but mine will not ping during acceleration, but when the tranny upshifts, I think it upshifts too soon and lugs the engine. Its not a full ping sound, but sounds like almost a ping, not sure what it is.

12. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    knightrider3x

knightrider3x New Member

Member:
    Lodi Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 PreRunner
    How I can get mine to "knock" every day is in the afternoon when I come home and the weather is over 90 degrees like it has been, accelerate up a hill to a good seed (30mphish) let off the throttle so the truck up shifts then hold the pedal at a constant speed as I go up the hill. As the truck starts to slow down and just before the truck down shifts to continue the hill climb I start to hear a knocking and the hotter the day is the louder it is.

13. Aug 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    2013 V6 auto 6000km

Just noticed it pinging on accel the other day.
    29 deg C. day, in slow traffic and at about 100km/hr passing,
    not overly loud, but noticeable.

Haven't heard it since, in the last 3 times I drove it.

Attributing it to hot day, and possibly crappy gas. Or gas degraded from sitting. Truck was sitting for about a month as I'm using the bike mostly during summer.

14. Aug 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    west467

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The first time I changed the plugs on my 4L Taco I used the stock plugs, everyone here advised just to use the standard plugs. I noticed the pinging
    was less noticeable for a couple thousand miles, then it was back. At 60k I used platinum plugs. I have 12K miles on these plugs, and can use 87 octane, I do not notice the "pinging" much any longer. I have also run a full tank of ethanol free fuel just to help clean things out. Maybe some of our 4L V6's need better gas and better plugs. I also tend to take the AT out of OD when in town, or during hard acceleration.

Denso PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug.

15. Aug 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    hellsbay

hellsbay Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD OR
    I have a 2013 6cyl. and use 87 all the time from Murphy at Wallmart. I have never experienced pinging under any circumstances.

16. Aug 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    Mpgillespie

Mpgillespie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    13 PreDCSB Stormtroopen Taco
    I'm getting pinging as we'll, during low rpm shifts. I took it to the dealer and head mechanic rode with me to duplicate problem. He connected the computer up and detected a few concerning codes, but nothing bad enough to trigger check engine light. He advised me to run some BG 44k. I ran it with a full tank and its still doing it. It's a 13 v6. I have always run non ethanol 87 from Murphy's or 7-11. He also suggested using Chevron gas, but I have no Chevron stations in my area.

17. Aug 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    Sase1964

Sase1964 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Clean look TRD Sport DC
    No badges except TRD Sport graphics w/back flip tonneau
    I have an 07 sport dc 2wd since new and never had issues with pinging. Don't ever listen to them (the technicians/mechanics) that you should use certain type/brand of gas. The truck computer program (ecu) is design to make adjustments for different types of gas. The knucklehead is clueless of what is going on and is bullshitting you and don't know to say and want to sound smart. There is something wrong there and should not be doing that. Next time he tell you that tell him he is a moron. If you don't have extended warranty buy one.

18. Aug 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've never heard the pinging everyone complains about either. I only use Chevron gas (87 octane) and throw a bottle of Techron gas additive in every few tanks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  19. Aug 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    Mpgillespie

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to get another opinion. My old 98 Civic has no problem with the gas. I do have the extended warranty, hopefully I won't have to use it.

20. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    Mpgillespie

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    I took my truck in recently with complaints of pinging after suggestions failed to solve the problem. Toyota is gathering our information and is in the process of creating a fix, which should be a new ECU program. We should expect a fix in 2-3 months.

Products Discussed in

To Top