1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has had a major failure with the 1GRFE V-6??

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by XXXX, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Yes!

2. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    Mark (Brunes) has been having engine issues in his wife's 4Runner

3. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't think mine is oil related. Head gasket failure did mine,,,a quick overhaul and it'll be right as rain,

4. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM
    jbmccul

jbmccul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    Figured you might want to look into this thread at least

5. Mar 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    bra

bra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC 4X4 TRD sport
    Badges off
    I live in a country where temperature never goes under 15 degrees Celsius and I always used 5w30 synthetic oil. Should I continue to use that or should I use 5w40 now?
    Also for the air filter, someone said it is better to use original paper one. I just bought and installed a TRD air Filter that is cleanable and could be last the life of vehicle, is it better I switch back to a paper one to protect my engine?

6. Apr 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    No. Redline's Engine Break-in oil is an anit-wear additive. Simply put, it prevents wear. It helps to keep oil from moving away from hot spots, so that metal to metal contact doesn't happen. It also helps to microscopically burnish uneven spots, on moving surfaces. To make them more smooth.

EPA mandated a drop to ~900 ppm ZDDP, in all SAE approved oils for on highway vehicles. That way the ZDDP didn't damage the cats as quickly, as it would at the higher level of 12-1500 ppm (or higher) the problem is, that vital protection is lost. Which worsens, the lighter weight the oil.

Europeans do it "right". Higher ZDDP content in lighter weight oils, to prevent liquidation of the oil. Versus here, were it is low across the board.

All of this is for gas mileage, and proper catalyzation for emissions requirements.

The trick.....add in a catch can, and you personally will greatly reduce the amount of oil being burnt through your engine and cats. Then you can add in your own ZDDP to get it back to the proven protective levels of around 1500 ppm.

Back on the topic, I myself had massive bearing failure, on a used engine. All main bearings were scored, and some of the rod bearings. The whole of the inside of the engine was discolored.

The reason was because I miss shifted. Over rev'd. Now, my engine was full of oil. About 6 quarts. And it was a 40 weight oil. The problem was, that nearly every oil port had been clogged by burn oil. Caked everywhere inside. Even the crank. Whomever had the engine before me, apparently refused to change or add oil.

The sump in the oil pan was covered in a thick layer of oil minus two slots the size of the tip of a pinky finger. Might as sell have been a low oil scenario.

7. Apr 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    XXXX

XXXX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

That was years ago right? or just recently?

8. Apr 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  9. Apr 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    It was about two years ago that I bought that used engine, I think. It was from an '03-'04 4Runner. I don't remember the exact date of purchase, but I can find it. A little over a year ago that I had the spun bearing problem. It is back together and running strong, with parts from engines 1-2-3 & 4. Franken-engine. Lol. I just wish that I had a picture of the clogged sump/pick-up.

10. Apr 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Ive seen them. I was just wondering if you had another engine problem.

I have yet to rip into mine. Someday :D I'm getting tired of having to stay close to home when wheeling for fear of the engine imploding.

11. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Driving to work yesterday I noticed a familiar sight.... my bosses 04' 4Runner on the side of the road. I stopped to see if she was OK and she wasn't in the truck. Looked down the road and there she was walking in a dress and high heels.

Long story short her 1GFRE literally blew up. Oil everywhere. She had AAA tow it to her brother in laws shop and today she gets the call that it's toasted. 184k on the ODO and she said she always maintained it correctly because her family has a shop.

So if anyone needs parts from a 04 4runner she may be parting it out. She wants a new truck and isn't going to invest any money into the truck as it is because it's a rust bucket POS.

12. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Did someone strap a bomb to it, to literally blow it up?

13. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    No. I didn't get into it to deeply with her because she is clueless about engines, but the one thing she mentioned was head gasket blew and water was in the oil that didn't fly out.

14. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    kirkofwimbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Oh, I was under the impression that it literally blew up, as you had said. Just adding fodder to your underwhelming number of examples of how these engines are "junk"?

15. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Ok troll you can go fuck off now.

16. Jun 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    kirkofwimbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
  17. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    XXXX

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    :rolleyes:

trolling my own thread...yea that makes perfect sense.

Don't you have a bridge to crawl under?

18. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    kirkofwimbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    You're just a troll in general, sorry I didn't specify. :)

19. Jul 25, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    Jackscon

Jackscon Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    I am looking for as much info on your rack as possible.

Thanks,

Kevin

20. Mar 25, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    jorelp

jorelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorel
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab SR5
    Mine spun a main or rod bearing(I think) and seized yesterday. It had a knock for while now and i was taking it for a good run thinking it may be carboned up. Lucky i brought it down to an idle whent he knocking got really loud and it stalled. It rolled over today after it cooled off but screeches and hollers like a bad engine belt Idler bearing.
    drained the oil and it sparkled :). no sludge what i can see. havent pulled valve covers yet though. I'll pull the oil pan tomorry and let ya's know what it looks like. oil has been changed faithfully(5W30 synthetic and theres only 60 thousand kms on the truck. All arctic conditions though since it came off the lot. i added half a bottle of that lucas oil additive a day prior to this run when it happened. I was thinking the ticking it was a noisy lifters or something and it might help quiet things. Now im wondering if it contributed to the failure.
    It looks like a lot of work to pull the OP and inspect And I'm assuming i cant check pressure with a bad bearing. Could i just change the bearings and check oil pressure after? at this pint i don't know if its main or rod. Is it possible to slip rod bearings out without pulling timing cover, chain, and days of work?basically it would cost big bucks to get another engine here(Iqaluit, Nunavut) and I'm hoping to just keep it running short term till it gets shipped to ontario in July.(needs to be running) where im sure i can find a used short block to drop in.
    there is a machine shop here.. anyway you can get oversized bearings or something? what are my options??

Products Discussed in

To Top