1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has had a major failure with the 1GRFE V-6??

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by XXXX, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Mar 26, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    First thing you need to do is to try and figure out what caused the rod knock.

I'll place my money on all rod knock. Main bearings could very likely be damaged by metal shavings from the destroyed rod bearing/bearings. Those will have to be carefully inspected as well.

On these cranks, when you get rod knock, the respective rod journal will be damaged. Severity dependent upon how long it ran with said knock. The crank will need to be machined on all bad journals, obviously, or replaced.

Clevite makes bearings for the 1GR. You can also have them coated.

2. Apr 4, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    jorelp

jorelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorel
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab SR5
    Pulled the oil pan off and found a mess of silicone and metal bits. Lots of sparkles in the oil too. ran out of time and only got the small metal pain off. diff is ready to drop and then i'll pull the rest of the aluminum pan to get a better look at things. As soon i dropped the pan i saw long stringy piece of silicone half sucked into the strainer(wish i took a photo). this makes me think that silicone may have been the cause of the spun bearing. there was some scary chunks of metal in bottom as you can see in the photo. above the pen is silicone, below is the metal. there is plenty of other small bits i just picked out the largest.[​IMG]

3. Apr 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    jorelp

jorelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorel
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab SR5
    Untill I can get it stripped down further is there any guess to what these metal bits are from?

4. Apr 6, 2015 at 9:54 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Your engine. :D

Not trying to be a dick; it's just that those pieces are so small and an engine has so many moving internals that it's nearly impossible to tell what it's from until you strip the engine down and find something that's missing pieces.

As an example, I tore down an engine some years ago because I was changing the oil and noticed that it was glittery. Dropped the oil pan and found it full of shavings. Thought for sure they were going to be from the crank but they ended up actually being from the timing cover. The timing chain had eaten its guide and was working on chewing through the cover. Ended up being a much easier fix than I was expecting; new chain, guide, and cover and I was good to go.

5. Apr 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Highly unlikely small piece of slilicone would stop oil pump. Maybe if it was able to cover whole strainer, maybe than. Small stringy piece would get chewed by oil pump no problems.
    All those pieces look like they went through some gear. So that could mean timing chain failure or around that area. Very top piece looks like part of VVTi gear.
    Once you get engine a part post more pics but I would start by taking off timing chain cover. If timing chain went down it would knock too. As long as oil pump was running and pushing oil you may need only timing parts.

6. Apr 6, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    jorelp

jorelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorel
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab SR5
    Good point Noel. I shall have a look at the timing chain next time im at the shop. I just assumed it wasn't a problem because i know the very experienced mechanic that had replaced all the timing components.
    I didnt mean it would stop the oil pump Blue. gear pumps like that tend to grind up metal and spit it out. I meant the silicone could have flowed through the strainer, through the pump(chewed up im sure) and smaller pieces could have stuck in an oil gallery supplying one of the crank or rod bearings.

7. Apr 6, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    If by some amazing happening, that the timing chain did anything but stay on, you'll have a litany of problems. Damaged pistons and valves, misfires, lack of compression, damaged bearings.... etc.

That is a bearing. Which bearing? I don't know.

There is an inspection cover on the timing cover. Passenger side. Rectangular, just under the valve cover. Four 10mm bolts hold it on. You'll be able to inspect the timing chain from there. :thumbsup:

8. Apr 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    This /\/\
    If somebody worked on your timing chain before failure I would start looking at that first. 9 out 10 times thats the cause .

9. Apr 9, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    jorelp

jorelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorel
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab SR5
    Update
    Removed the timing chain inspection plate. Can't see anything but the tensioner through there.
    Finished removing the oil pan and saw metal filings around the crank closest to the front of engine. After a closer look I could see the problem right away. Number one Rod bearing had spun. Only pulled the cap next to it so far(looked fine) and all the thrust shims look ok. A bit more scuffing on some of the cylinder walls then it should be for only 60 k on the truck. something to do with metal filings in the oil likely.
    I kept an eye on the timing chain from the bottom(the little I can see) as I was turning the crank to bring one and two down to disconnect rods. I'd still like to have a better look but but how. It was definitely not a timing gear sound when it started knocking bad and stopped. I've heard plenty of bad timing chains and by the frequency of the knock I'm sure it was only one rod. Pictures to follow

10. Apr 10, 2015 at 4:25 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    :thumbsup:

Not for the problem, obviously, but for sourcing it.

11. Apr 10, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    If that rod and rod end cap are not discolored from heat, then you might be lucky enough to get away with just a new bearing. As long as the rod journal isn't fubar'd. Just depends how long the rod was bouncing around, and if it was egg-shaped in the process.

There is a stamp on one side of the rod, near the rod-end cap. It will be a number. That is the bearing necessary for that rod. All else being good of course.

12. Mar 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    Taco_Dane

Taco_Dane Member

Member:
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD OR
    3" Toytec Bilstein coilovers, shackle flip and 6" shackles in rear, TRD Sport hood, 18" VTX wheels wrapped with 35" Nitto Ridge Grappler, PelfreyBilt sliders and front bumper, Homemade rear bumper and tiregate
    Add another Hydrolock to the list.
    2005 TRD OR, victim of the South Platte river near Deckers, CO

received_10154375963653597.jpg

13. Mar 7, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Blown, or just shut off due to water?

Snorkel in your future.

14. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    Taco_Dane

Taco_Dane Member

Member:
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD OR
    3" Toytec Bilstein coilovers, shackle flip and 6" shackles in rear, TRD Sport hood, 18" VTX wheels wrapped with 35" Nitto Ridge Grappler, PelfreyBilt sliders and front bumper, Homemade rear bumper and tiregate
    Broken or bent Rod is my guess. We'll see when I get into it.

Had planned snorkel down the line. Moved up the list after this.

15. Mar 7, 2017 at 7:09 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Window, or just won't turn over?

16. Mar 7, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Did you find water in any other locations, like ECU? The picture looks like the current was on the passenger side, is that correct? Just curious for future crossings.

17. Mar 7, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    Taco_Dane

Taco_Dane Member

Member:
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD OR
    Won't turn over. Where it sticks you can turn back by hand but not forward.

Yes current was from passenger. Thought I shorted something electrical, turned out way worse. Sucked water straight into the intake. At least 4 cylinders had water. Intake had quite a bit and filter was drenched.

18. Mar 7, 2017 at 9:17 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Sorry to hear, let us know how the teardown goes.

19. Jul 1, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    NickofTime

NickofTime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma DCSB TRD
    I just throw money at my truck
    Oh man I need to add to this. My current 1grfe has 126k miles and needs head work. Shop says it’s a damaged valve guide and a blown headgasket. I have two other 1grfes in my garage right now. One spun a bearing at 125k and the other blew a head gasket at 130k miles. I took the heads off the spin bearing motor and the heads off the headgasket motor and taking them to machine shop tomorrow morning for inspection. I’ll be pulling the heads on my truck for further diagnostics most likely tomorrow afternoon.
    Picture of the connecting rods from the bad bearing 1grfe.
    0FACADF7-4A3D-4F89-B678-9C4191B706D7.jpg
    And a pic of the headgasket block
    97D8DEDB-CB49-44C2-A1EB-018095B55F1D.jpg

20. Jul 1, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    What year model is the one in your truck?

Products Discussed in

To Top