Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Who has had a major failure with the 1GRFE V-6??

Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Who has had a major failure with the 1GRFE V-6??

These trucks have been out since 2004 so I think it's time we start a list of the engine failures. Be it a defect from the factory, bad oil pump, bad bearing, hydro-lock etc.

Please keep the typical "my engine makes clicky noises" out of here. I'm talking major issues.

Also if you got it fixed what did it cost and did Toyota warrant it.

Ill start.

Vehicle year: 2008

Region:
North East

Typical use:
Daily driver, occasional mild trail rides

Bought new or used:
New

Mileage:

Oil used:
Mobil-1

Air filter:
K&N for 70k then Wix OE style paper for 20k

Engine modifications:
Safari Snorkel installed

Who serviced the vehicle to date:
Me, myself, and I

Issue:
#6 cylinder scorn, poor #6 compression (engine yet to be torn down to find route issue) angry gremlin with ball pean hammer trapped inside

Remedy:
TBD

Parts repair cost: TBD

Labor repair cost: TBD

Repair cost covered by Toyota: No

I know a few others with bad engines so Ill be throwing up their data in the coming days.

If anyone can think of any other data that would be good to compile for other users let me know and Ill be sure to add it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
08' Tundy 1GRFE V-6 dead at 98k http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5480839

07' Tacoma 1GFRE V-6 dead (bad oil pump) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post1384704
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
dizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddizzle01333246 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dizzle01333246's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is making me nervous haha. I just had my 99 tacoma 4 cylinder blow a valve. Long story, but I took it into the dealership in perfect condition and I got it back and the engine was blown. Anyway I bought a 2005 with the V6 and love it so far. Hopefully I have many more miles to come.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
09 Tacoma 1GRFE bad oil pump or bearing http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5490015

(soon to be dead engine)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
Yikes.....

Does stupidity count for a major failure?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryRider View Post
Yikes.....

You mean like seeing if the truck can swim?

I would say no, that's just extensively testing the truck's limits
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Oil used: Mobil-1
What viscosity?

Oil Change interval?

Brand oil filter?

Quote:
Air filter: K&N for 70k
Drop-in or cone/CAI?

Filter cleaning interval?

Secondary filter removed?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryRider View Post
Yikes.....

yes, your hydrolock counts. List it up buddy

also another superwhite I know had the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
What viscosity?

5w-30

Oil Change interval?

4k in winter 5-7k in summer depending on use

Brand oil filter?

OE tall - Ill look for the part numbers

Drop-in or cone/CAI?

drop in

Whenever it's dirty. I put a Lexan window in the intake to see right in. Been running K&N's for 15 years, but never did as much offroading in dust like this truck has seen. After a few intake cleanings I figured it was time to actually filter the dirt not let it through so I changed to Wix.

of course. gotta let all the silica in
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
These trucks have been out since 2004 so I think it's time we start a list of the engine failures. Be it a defect from the factory, bad oil pump, bad bearing, hydro-lock etc.

Please keep the typical "my engine makes clicky noises" out of here. I'm talking major issues.

Also if you got it fixed what did it cost and did Toyota warrant it.

Ill start.

Vehicle year: 2008

Region: North East

Typical use: Daily driver, occasional mild trail rides

Bought new or used: New

Mileage: 89,000

Oil used: Mobil-1

Air filter: K&N for 70k then Wix OE style paper for 20k

Engine modifications: Safari Snorkel installed

Who serviced the vehicle to date: Me, myself, and I

Issue: #6 cylinder scorn, poor #6 compression (engine yet to be torn down to find route issue) angry gremlin with ball pean hammer trapped inside

Remedy: TBD

Parts repair cost: TBD

Labor repair cost: TBD

Repair cost covered by Toyota: No

I know a few others with bad engines so Ill be throwing up their data in the coming days.

If anyone can think of any other data that would be good to compile for other users let me know and Ill be sure to add it.
Did the K&N allow silica and drive you to switch to Wix? The number of threads I see about people getting K&Ns and AFE Pro drys, and all the real tests on them indicate that they just let in more harmful stuff (silica, mainly) than good Wix or Napa fiters. I was looking into getting an AFE but after research, said F that.

Good thread. I feel like we need a "Mythbusters" thread on filters, TB spacers, CAIs, etc.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Did the K&N allow silica and drive you to switch to Wix? The number of threads I see about people getting K&Ns and AFE Pro drys, and all the real tests on them indicate that they just let in more harmful stuff (silica, mainly) than good Wix or Napa fiters. I was looking into getting an AFE but after research, said F that.

Good thread. I feel like we need a "Mythbusters" thread on filters, TB spacers, CAIs, etc.

IMO Yes, but I have no factual proof (oil test) besides my own eyes. My intake is now clean as can be after 20k with the Wix. With the K&N it would of been very dusty.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Whenever it's dirty. I put a Lexan window in the intake to see right in. Been running K&N's for 15 years, but never did as much offroading in dust like this truck has seen. After a few intake cleanings I figured it was time to actually filter the dirt not let it through so I changed to Wix.

of course. gotta let all the silica in

Interesting. Did you ever do any used oil analysis? Since you mentioned silica, it sounds like you may have. High silica content? Answered in last post.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IMO Yes, but I have no factual proof (oil test) besides my own eyes. My intake is now clean as can be after 20k with the Wix. With the K&N it would of been very dusty.
There was a great air filter test on Bobistheoilguy.com. Way more dirt got past a cleanable filter than a paper unit.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
There was a great air filter test on Bobistheoilguy.com. Way more dirt got past a cleanable filter than a paper unit.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/
Yeah, John, that was the one I saw when I was thinking about getting an AFE. No AFE for me, thanks.

I recommend everyone do at least one Blacktsone Labs oil analysis to have facts about your engine's condition and wear. Earlier indications of issues that can be corrected can save you a buttload of later pain.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yeah, John, that was the one I saw when I was thinking about getting an AFE. No AFE for me, thanks.

I recommend everyone do ast least one Blacktsone Labs oils analysis to have facts about your engine's condition and wear. Earlier indications of issues that can be corected can save you a buttload of later pain.
That changed my mind too.

The Blackstone tests are a great tool to keep an eye on things. I have a sample in my garage from the diesel to go in. Comparing oil content with and without the EGR functioning.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #19
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Problem is none of those failures are really "Toyota" failures. I have yet to see something wrong with those engines. So far all failures had been due to improper maintenance, (Sludge, poured something funky to engine, bad air filter, water ingestion etc)