Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Problem

Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
09 Tundra Problem

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Problem

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering if the filter was the proper size. That's exactly what happened to my friends new Corolla after her first oil change. When she and her twin went to buy filters for their cars, the guy handed each gal the opposite filter (they had different cars) and their boyfriends changed the oil. Luckily only one of the cars was damaged.

How long after you heard the pop did you pull over? I know you said immediately but that could mean the nearest exit.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
When was the oil last changed? Was it the correct filter?

The #1 question....how long was it running with low oil pressure? Few seconds? Few minutes?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^^^ copy cat. LOL!!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
" The Master Ninja"

Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #8

If Toyota changed it, I would give them a call. The filter should not have been able to work itself loose like that. Did you happen to get pics of the engine with the mess or the ground when you pulled over? The reason I ask is because that's proof that it happened suddenly and not due to your messing around and trying to change it on your own and messing up.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Stalker View Post
i do change my own oil, But not on this truck, Got it 5k miles ago from the dealer. It has genuine toyota filter ( the correct one) i checked already. The oil was only 5 k miles old and was just due to change now. I think by the time i realized something was wrong, thats when the engine was wanting to stall. So im not sure how long i drove with no oil but as soon as i suspected a problem, i saw an exit coming up and pulled over. The engine did turn of on its own when i pulled over and when i cranked it back, it made a very disturbing cluking sound and so i left it like that.
So you change your own oil but you haven't touched this truck? If that's the case, I'd drive it back to the dealership you bought it at and raise hell. Unfortunately, if it's still running, there's probably not a lot you can do about it without a tear down, the damage is done. That being said, you might want to consider having them buy the truck back or giving you an extended warranty on it.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
" The Master Ninja"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
So you change your own oil but you haven't touched this truck? If that's the case, I'd drive it back to the dealership you bought it at and raise hell. Unfortunately, if it's still running, there's probably not a lot you can do about it without a tear down, the damage is done. That being said, you might want to consider having them buy the truck back or giving you an extended warranty on it.
The truck runs, just makes a wierd noise. I have not driven it because i dont want to break anything more than it already has. Also, why would the dealer take responsibility on it when i drove the truck already for 5 k miles and 4 months. Its not realistic, for them to be that nice to buy back the truck or even try and fix. My main concern is that what kind of dmagae couldve been done to the engine for it to make that sound and is it fixable?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i do change my own oil, But not on this truck, Got it 5k miles ago from the dealer. It has genuine toyota filter ( the correct one) i checked already. The oil was only 5 k miles old and was just due to change now. I think by the time i realized something was wrong, thats when the engine was wanting to stall. So im not sure how long i drove with no oil but as soon as i suspected a problem, i saw an exit coming up and pulled over. The engine did turn of on its own when i pulled over and when i cranked it back, it made a very disturbing cluking sound and so i left it like that.
Probably spun all the bearings in the engine, I wouldn't be suprised if the whole thing is junk.

Call the dealer.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The truck runs, just makes a wierd noise. I have not driven it because i dont want to break anything more than it already has. Also, why would the dealer take responsibility on it when i drove the truck already for 5 k miles and 4 months. Its not realistic, for them to be that nice to buy back the truck or even try and fix. My main concern is that what kind of dmagae couldve been done to the engine for it to make that sound and is it fixable?
The dealership should take responsibility because they were the last one to touch the engine. They changed all the fluids before you took delivery, did they not? That means their mechanic was not competitent enough to properly install an oil filter which lead to it coming off. Oil filters should not just randomly 'pop' off.

When you run an engine without oil, a lot of things can be damaged from heat build up. The problem is, unless one of those parts actually breaks and lets go, you might not know it for a while. The damage to the engine is done. You won't find out what got damaged unless you tear into the block and start poking around unless something is noticably broken (not being able to hear the sound, that's a tough one).
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
" The Master Ninja"

humnn well ok ill call my dealer and the waranty company and find out what they will do.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So here is what happned. Yesterday i was driving down the freeway when all of a sudden i heard a pop. Then i felt the truck shaking a little and not wanting to go anywhere, i also noticed the oil gauge gow down to low. I immedately took the exit and pulled over. turned the engine off and got out to see motor oil all over. on the side, underneath, everywhere on the engine. Well i called a tow truck and got it towed to my house since it was sunday and all shops closed. When i got home, i realized that it was the oil filter that some how had loosened. So i tightened, poured more oil in, cleaned the bay and started the truck and now its making a wierd clicking noise. i did not drive the truck and i let it run on idle. Every 5 sec or so, it would click and makes a sound like it wants to shut off. What could this be, has the engine messed up. How can the filter come loose and if my truck is still under warranty, is this something that will be covered?
Well who did last oil change? If not Toyota then you are on your own.
There is good chance you damaged engine beyond repair.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whoever made oil change screwed up. So thats the people you need to go after. As far as damage, it sounds like you need new engine.
EDIT: x2 on oil filter should not pop off. There is almost no pressure in that thing. Thats why we can hand tighten them and get away with it. thast why they dont pop off unless they were not tightened or wrong size
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
" The Master Ninja"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Whoever made oil change screwed up. So thats the people you need to go after. As far as damage, it sounds like you need new engine.
EDIT: x2 on oil filter should not pop off. There is almost no pressure in that thing. Thats why we can hand tighten them and get away with it. thast why they dont pop off unless they were not tightened or wrong size
its that easy for the engine to break and i need new engine? even though its running and seems to be just fine on idle? except for making a minor clicking noise ? i would understand that i would need new engine if it was not cranking. Its starting and running. i just dont want to drive it like that and mess it up even more.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #18

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its that easy for the engine to break and i need new engine? even though its running and seems to be just fine on idle? except for making a minor clicking noise ? i would understand that i would need new engine if it was not cranking. Its starting and running. i just dont want to drive it like that and mess it up even more.
One thing that kills engine quickly is lack of oil. You can do a lot to the engine as long as its lubrication system is running. No oil = quick death. It runs because its not seized but if your filter was letting oil out then no oil was getting to the engine because filter is first stop after the pump. Sorry but there is no good news here.
If it is getting oil (check oil pressure) it may drive little longer but that engine is toast so if it drives for now, just look for replacement before crank comes off from its side.
Clicking noise? Like valve clicking or chain clicking?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #19

The engine needs oil to run or heat and friction can damage it. If something is clicking, it could be that something inside got hot and bent. Back in the days I would say pistons but.... ANYWAY. Yes. There is damage in there, be it small or large it still needs to be opened up for a proper analysis. That's going to cost money. It would not be under warranty unless it's a defect with a part or mechanical failure due to build. At this point, you have to remember that none of this would have happened if the oil filter did not come off.

It might even be that the the threads on the filter were messed up.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is why I said get it to the dealership and either have them buy it back or get the warranty extended with this issue on record. The fact that it starts and runs does not mean you're out of the water. The engine ran with low oil in it and is now making a noise, meaning the damage is done. The engine might not be toast just yet but it's life has been significantly reduced. That is why I would say, either make them fix the engine (which would likely be a replacement) or extend the warranty on the truck so when it gives up on you in 10k miles, you're not stuck picking up the tab.