1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does it matter where I get my windshield replaced?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BenWA, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Dec 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I got three quotes to have my windshield replaced:

Safelite: $400 installed
    Speedy Glass: $210 installed
    Local ma'n'pop glass shop: $260 installed

Why so much more expensive at Safelite? My only concern is whether the cheaper options would have poorer quality aftermarket glass that will chip easily. Is there any good reason why I should not go with the cheapest option?

My cheap geico insurance doesn't cover glass.

2. Dec 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    glass is glass in this case..the only difference to me is do you trust wear its made? all in all, get it cheap,just make sure they use good sealant to prevent leaks.

3. Dec 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    $400 seems outrageous! I had a windshield replaced in my Subie about 5 years ago and it was around $200. And I got a quote recently for a replacement in my truck at about $220 ...one more rock chip repair and my windshield will be 90% epoxy and 10% glass :laugh:

4. Dec 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Wow! Safelite quoted me just under $250 if I took it to their shop or add $20 for mobile install. That was about 6 months ago...

BTW: USAA recommends Safelite supposedly for quality. I don't know if there was a discount built in but the cost was gonna be on me because my deductible was more.

5. Dec 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I need to get mine replaced as well. I haven't checked into prices yet at all.

6. Dec 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I ended up going to Speedy Glass. It came to $235 out the door. Everything seems fine. They have a lifetime warranty on workmanship. We'll see how the glass itself holds up.

I have no idea why Safelite was so pricey -- they need to pay for all that advertising I guess.

7. Dec 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Maybe they used higher quality glass
    ie: thicker for reduced road noise.

8. Dec 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    WiscTaco

WiscTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Sr5 Trd 23.42 mpg
    Grey Wire, AFE Pro Dry S
    ppg glass is good

9. Dec 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    fallon

fallon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    $180 for a local mobile glass shop to put an "OEM" windshield in here in Colorado Springs. Seems equal to my original one to me.

10. Dec 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    The glass used in our trucks is what it is. There will be no variance in chip resistance within the three company quotes you received. The glass will all be the same thickness. The only difference you may see is the tint at the top. All the manufacturers must meet strict standards and none of them will go above and beyond what is required because it costs more thus less profit.

The only way the glass could be substandard is if it was produced illegally by someone making bootleg parts. While there are many bootleg parts for our trucks on the market no one in their right mind would take the time or money to do that in my opinion.

What I would consider key is the tech installing it. There are many ways to botch a install job from improper caulking that could lead to leaking to scraping the paint off from under it during removal which could lead to severe rust issues. I would go with the company with the most seasoned staff. From personal experience this is NOT Safelite. Last time I had them out I had to tell the tech how to remove my door panel for a DS window.

I would also make sure you take the time and watch the guy install it. If he nicks the paint during cut out make sure it's touched up before the new one goes back in.

Also make sure they warranty the labor. I'm sure they won't warranty the glass but they should sure as hell warranty their work for at least a year.

11. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    bamma

bamma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Current: 2011 Land Cruiser
    OEM is made with the same mold that your original windshield was made. Others use a copy of the mold which may not be perfect (glass could be thinner, not fit exactly right, etc.

99% of the time you won't notice the difference, but I always go OEM.

Products Discussed in

To Top