1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2004 Taco has a 1995-1999 engine. Check engine light is on because of new motor..

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by SarkT, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    SarkT

SarkT [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Hello guys. I'd appreciate your thoughts on my first thread here. My 2004 4cyl tacoma had its original motor blow and was then replaced with another engine. It turns out this engine is supposedly from a 1995-1999 tacoma which apparently has a different head. My truck now has a check engine light. Two mechanics have told me that my truck needs a new MAF sensor. As soon as the sensor was changed the light has stayed on. Another mechanic said I need new fuel injectors. As he attempted to replace the fuel injectors he has shown me that the ones on the replacement motor are larger than the new ones he was ready to install into the motor. He then tells me that my replacement engine is much older and actually has a different head with different injectors than the 2004 had. He says my check engine light is on because my original computer doesn't work properly with the older motors and now I need a 2004 head replaced on the replaced motor. Do you folks suppose this new head will properly fit on the 1995-1996 block? My major concern is that it will not fit. Just to be clear, the replacement motor drives great, has a toyota logo and is the same 2.4L displacement. Thanks very much for your thoughts.

2. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    There are two different heads for that time frame of engine. Open port and closed port. The open port head still has the typical 2 valves for the intake, however the air inlet is open between the two valves. The closed port has a separate air inlet for each valve, and only one of these two ports actually has the injector firing into it.

The old injectors may be "bigger" than the new ones, but that does not mean anything. What matters is flow rate. Newer injectors are built more compact (thus saving money in manufacturing) but still operate and flow like the older, fatter ones.

That being said, the fact that the replacement engine is from a 95-99 truck is something to be concerned about. If just the block and head were used, then you may be ok, but if the entire intake manifold and fuel rails were swapped out, that may be your concern. The programming is very different between the 95-99 model years, and the 2000 and up 1st gen. As a matter of fact, the programming is sometimes different in just a small year gap.

3. Dec 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    SarkT

SarkT [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Thank you for your thoughts. I believe I understand what you mean. I have also just gotten an appointment to have the truck inspected at a local Toyota dealer. I'm curious to hear what they have to say. The mechanic supervisor I spoke with says he suspects that if the new replacement motor is older it would not add to my truck's inspection wiring. The check engine light was on before the original motor blew up and was also on as soon as the new motor was replaced.

4. Dec 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    uh, an 04 cannot have a 95-97 98-00 (non Cali) style engine, nothing is going to work. wiring is different, coil setup is different, heads are different. Has EGR where as 01-04 does not. smaller injectors, different ECM.

5. Dec 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    Exactly.

6. Dec 12, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com

I agree that it is not the correct engine. But SOMETHING else had to have been changed if he has been able to drive it around. I am curious what all has been done to it, if it really did have the pre 2000 engine.

7. Dec 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    Well, easiest way to start piecing things together is for him to get a scan gauge and start posting the codes listed.

8. Dec 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    I'm fairly certain it'll run either way but not well which would be the reason for the CEL codes. If a shop did this swap, it's fix it or small claims time imo as that's a very gratuitous error

9. Dec 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    this is why I always try to rebuild the original block if possible...swapping to a different engine is usually more trouble than it is work.

If you have time, I can tell you about putting a non-US spec motor into my FJ60, I ended up having to run a weber carb and headers to make it work.

Howard

10. Dec 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    well its EXTREMELY easy to put the correct years into their respective tacomas. the problem is when people do not know the years and when stuff changes its fairly drastic

11. Dec 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    SarkT

SarkT [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma

I have a strong feeling that you're absolutely correct. Thankfully the truck has been taken care of and everything is okay. Thank you all very much for your thoughts.

12. Dec 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    It's not easy information to come by, I've just owned my truck since 2005 so I've had a lot of time to accumulate info about it haha it's how we all learn.

13. Nov 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    arturo lopez

arturo lopez Member

Member:
    ElPaso,TX
    Vehicle:
    04 s runner double cab
    I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE ENGINE LIGHT THAT CONTINUES TO STAY ON. I TOOK MY 04 TACOMA TO AUTOZONE TO SEE WHY. AND FOUND OUT IT WAS THE ENGINE TEMP SENSOR. REPLACED IT, AND THE LIGHT CONTINUES TO TO STAY LITE. I CANNT GET MY INSPECTION STICKER. DO YOU THINK THAT ILL NEED TO GET A FULL DIAGNOSTIC CHECK TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? WHAT DO YOU THINK? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Products Discussed in

To Top