1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Change Transmission Fluid

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by CarlosinFL, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    CarlosinFL

CarlosinFL [OP] Mildly-Attractive

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    My 2002 Tacoma 4 cylinder has 142,8xx miles on her. She's pulling good and strong but sometimes when I'm gassing it on the highway, I feel some jerking / hesitation which might be from the transmission slipping. I've never changed anything but the engine oil, rear diff oil, and radiator fluid since I've owned her at 108k miles.

I spoke with someone and asked if they could change my transmission fluid and he recommended against it as it could get worse. He advised me to change the filter in the transmission only and leave the actual oil in there. I really don't see the point. Wont new oil help lubricate and protect the transmission? Should I leave it or change it based on above?

2. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    There is the theory that once you change the fluid and stir up the gunk in the pan, you can cause trouble...but if you are slipping and jerking, that would be clutch band wear. Dropping the pan for a filter and new fluid couldn't hurt...and might actually help.

Howard

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    CarlosinFL

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    So based on the fact that I don't notice any slipping at all during city / street / normal driving, would you go ahead and just swap the transmission fluid / filter or just leave it?

4. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I would drop the pan, clean the inside of the pan, replace the filter and reassemble. I could just be a clogged filter preventing the full fluid pressure at the band actuators or starving the torque convertor.

5. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    CarlosinFL

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Cool. Thanks! Any particular brand or kind of oil I should use for my transmission that has 143K miles on it?

6. Dec 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    It is either AT3 or AT4, check the owners manual or tranny dipstick...I buy mine by the gallon or five gallon pail at the local FLAP.

7. Dec 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    My 03 says on dipstick under normal driving conditions the tranny doesnt need maint. With that said just drain pan and refill. There is no filter anyhow just a screen that even the dealership doesnt mess with. Or u can pop the return coolant line and have someone pour new fluid in till u see the color change after u do the drain and fill. Them top it off and ur done.

Products Discussed in

To Top