Notices

Change Transmission Fluid

Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Mildly-Attractive
CarlosinFL is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
CarlosinFL's Tacoma Gallery
Question Change Transmission Fluid

My 2002 Tacoma 4 cylinder has 142,8xx miles on her. She's pulling good and strong but sometimes when I'm gassing it on the highway, I feel some jerking / hesitation which might be from the transmission slipping. I've never changed anything but the engine oil, rear diff oil, and radiator fluid since I've owned her at 108k miles.

I spoke with someone and asked if they could change my transmission fluid and he recommended against it as it could get worse. He advised me to change the filter in the transmission only and leave the actual oil in there. I really don't see the point. Wont new oil help lubricate and protect the transmission? Should I leave it or change it based on above?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosinFL View Post
My 2002 Tacoma 4 cylinder has 142,8xx miles on her. She's pulling good and strong but sometimes when I'm gassing it on the highway, I feel some jerking / hesitation which might be from the transmission slipping. I've never changed anything but the engine oil, rear diff oil, and radiator fluid since I've owned her at 108k miles.

I spoke with someone and asked if they could change my transmission fluid and he recommended against it as it could get worse. He advised me to change the filter in the transmission only and leave the actual oil in there. I really don't see the point. Wont new oil help lubricate and protect the transmission? Should I leave it or change it based on above?
There is the theory that once you change the fluid and stir up the gunk in the pan, you can cause trouble...but if you are slipping and jerking, that would be clutch band wear. Dropping the pan for a filter and new fluid couldn't hurt...and might actually help.

Howard
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Mildly-Attractive
So based on the fact that I don't notice any slipping at all during city / street / normal driving, would you go ahead and just swap the transmission fluid / filter or just leave it?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I would drop the pan, clean the inside of the pan, replace the filter and reassemble. I could just be a clogged filter preventing the full fluid pressure at the band actuators or starving the torque convertor.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Mildly-Attractive
Cool. Thanks! Any particular brand or kind of oil I should use for my transmission that has 143K miles on it?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
It is either AT3 or AT4, check the owners manual or tranny dipstick...I buy mine by the gallon or five gallon pail at the local FLAP.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
My 03 says on dipstick under normal driving conditions the tranny doesnt need maint. With that said just drain pan and refill. There is no filter anyhow just a screen that even the dealership doesnt mess with. Or u can pop the return coolant line and have someone pour new fluid in till u see the color change after u do the drain and fill. Them top it off and ur done.