Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Torque Bluetooth OBD II Android App

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Torque Bluetooth OBD II Android App

Ok, I just got my bluetooth OBD II reader (Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...bd%2Caps%2C256

and the Torque Android App (Google Play)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._result#?t=W10..

I am still learning how to set up and use the program but wanted to start a thread to document the application as I learn and hopefully get others interested in this product.

I WILL UPDATE THIS POST AS I CAN AND AS I LEARN SO CHECK HERE OFTEN IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

I will also try to respond to questions within the thread.

The app is pretty powerful and not only read and clear fault codes but can display real time OBD information on your andriod phone or tablet. ( I have connected both my phone and tablet) In addition, it can log information as you travel and overlay it the data on google maps within the app or export the data.

The app alows you to choose what sensors you want to display and how you want to display it (different size gauges/needle gauges/digital/bar graphs etc.) There are different themes you can install that change the look of the gauges. or if you are into it, you can design your own theme.

Here is what I have set up at the moment on my real time display (not connected to the OBD when I did the screenshot so showing no data.) I really don't need the speed info but want to get a feel for how the GPS speed and the OBD speed line up. There is also a gauge that will display the difference between OBD and GPS speeds.

The fuel remaining and distance to empty are a bit disappointing as they are calculated by the program and not provided by the OBD. You have to input the % remaining fuel in the vehicle profile and that will drive those displays. It is ok I guess, but not as good as it could be.

The Transmission sensor data may not be accurate for my 5-speed manual. I am not sure if the transmission has a sensor! The PID (that is the programming behind the displayed info) I used was one I found for the Tacoma's with automatic transmissions.

Different Theme - same screen

There is also a HUD toggle-

In the above screen shot you can see there are 7 screens available to me to display real time information. This can be set as anything from 1 to 15 screens (odd numbers only) so there is the possibilty to dedicate screens to groups of sensors. 15 screens would be way more than you need.

You can create vehicle profiles for use in all you vehicles and those profiles can show different information/themes etc. Moving from vehicle to vehicle is as simple as unpluging the reader from one and pluging into the other.

Trip log - This is a trip log on google maps. You can show on basic map as here or on satellite map. The trip log is automatic unless you disable it. This log is tracking speed only but you can add any sensor you wish to the log.

When you zoom in you can see each data point.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Which OBD scanner did you buy? I am interested in this.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Which OBD scanner did you buy? I am interested in this.
I bought the BAFX

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-...d+ii+bluetooth

It is a little more expensive than some others but the customer service seems pretty good. They respond very positively on the amazon reviews and seem genuinely helpful. I think that all of the sub $25 ones are pretty much the same, although some of the cheap ones have spotty reviews.

The Torque developer has a list of the various obd II devices that are supported. Some of the nicer ones may be more expensive. I will try to find the link to that.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
This looks like a perfect stocking stuffer item.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
I love this app. Check out the track recorder plug in
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
I love this app. Check out the track recorder plug in
It is super cool for the $.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone post a pic on where the BT unit hooks up to?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
Can anyone post a pic on where the BT unit hooks up to?
The exact spot depends on the year I believe, my 2013 is left of the driver knee, about half way from my knee to the door. When the unit is inserted, it sticks out under the lower dash cover about 1/2 inch.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Here - it is the small black rectangle

Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like it sticks out pretty far....Or is that just the camera angle?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
Here - it is the small black rectangle

That's the bluetooth unit or the unit that it connects to? Never been under there so I don't know.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Where ya guys been, this is been around for awhile now. Check the last few pages on how to get Transmission temp to show.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...d2-reader.html
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's the bluetooth unit or the unit that it connects to? Never been under there so I don't know.
OBD2 port.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
does this one have an auto shut off? I couldnt tell from amazon. I dont want a dead battery. pretty cool app.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Taco View Post
That looks like it sticks out pretty far....Or is that just the camera angle?
It is just the camera angle. On the 2013 it only sticks out 1/2 inch, may 1 inch. Not much at all.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckyTruck View Post
does this one have an auto shut off? I couldnt tell from amazon. I dont want a dead battery. pretty cool app.
The software has an option to turn the OBD chip off but whether it works properly I don't know. I do know that the reader gets power from pin 16 and that a switch can be added if you are crafty to be able to fully cut power.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is the blue tooth reader. The port is under the lower dash so you can't see it.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
OK, having some issues. The average MPG is not being retained. When I leave the app it resets. Not sure why? Anyone have a clue on this?

Products Discussed in this Thread