1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil/ Filter & Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tacoma crazy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Dec 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    tacoma crazy

tacoma crazy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Conroe,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma loaded
    I have a 2011 tacoma loaded, & love it. Now all my Vehicles/ Equipment have ran Royal Purple & Wix filters, W/ Oil change evry 12,000 & filter change evry 6000miles, meaning 2 filter per oil change and NEVER had any engine problems.

So when i seen in toyota parts (Royal Purple), I was relieved! Now I made a deal w/ the service dept. to use my royal purple, verses buying theirs, & they did'nt mind! but their recommended syn oil change @ 10,000. After my free maintenance service is over, I'm going bck to my regular oil change schedule.

The ? is do I stay w/ a toyota oil filter or wix, and next ? is I have 17inch bridgestone tires, What tire pressure do Ya'll run in the Summer, and what pressure to run in the Winter!!! in Conroe,Tx

2. Dec 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Welcome to TW!

I'd stick with the Toyota oil filters. They are actually very good filters and competitively priced as well.

For tire pressure, I run 31-32 PSI year round with factory Bridgestone tires. I'm a little heavy though because I have a shell and carry tools in the bed. This tire pressure seems to give a good ride and wear well.

3. Dec 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    crabmanbc21

crabmanbc21 Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    If your tires are stock size and load range, use Toyotas recommended pressure inside the drivers door jamb.

4. Dec 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Toyotas recommended tire pressure is for rugged fails that came on truck.

5. Dec 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
  6. Dec 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Oscarbob

Oscarbob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central New York
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB 4X4 OR, Pyrite Mica
    WeatherTec floormats and rainguards, Scanguage, LR UCA, 265/75/16 Duractrac's
    I will second this. One of our TW members(mod, chris4x4) did a comprehensive oil filter comparison/tear-down. I appears that stock filters may in fact be the best choice available for us. Here is the thread mentioned...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...-oil-filter-made-thailand-vs-competition.html

I bought a bulk case of 10 filters from a dealership online and costs me like 40 bucks. It's a great deal.

7. Dec 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    tacoma crazy

tacoma crazy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Conroe,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma loaded
    TY Guys for info. but I take it no-one runs Royal Purple oil or even Aims oil which in my opinion is the best synthetic oil. they both run engines cooler and seals the engines internal moving parts, Take for instance, I have a 97 Harley Fatboy, Put royal purple and wix oil filter in engine, The engine oil temp. went from 240*F to 180*F!. Over a few years, I rebuilt the top end myself due to compression problems. After rebuild, decided to break in engine w/ HD 20w-50, which is very heavy & wix oil filter, W/ new pistons & bore job, The engine oil temp. is still at 180*f.

So that being said, Still looking for a few more replys, hopefully from around my region!! on Tire presssures best for winter/ summer weathers. Not to hurt any-ones prefferences on oil filters, Toyota does'nt make oil filters, therefore another oil filter company makes them for Toyota, but Toyota can't answer my ? as to who makes their oil filter, After the comparison between wix or Toyota oil filter. Wix & Royal Purple still have my vote!!

Tire pressures ? is still up in the air!

8. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) I like to use the Bosch Distance plus oil filter. A link to the filter, http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/pages/distanceplusoilfilters.aspx#overview
    I have used this filter on my Miata now for two years,and I only change my oil once a year. It has a limited waranty that will repair an engine if the filter is the cause of an engine failure. It is not that expensive, but it is more expensive than the stock oil filter.
    On my Tacoma, I will continue to use the stock oil Filter untill my two year free servicing expires. I am testing my oil with the Blackstone oil testing service and I will keep on doing that after I can start extending my oil changes when the free service time is up. The improvements in both oil and oil filter technology has made it easier and safer to extend the standard oil change interval from the old standard of a 3 month period for the changing of oil and filter.

9. Dec 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete

Products Discussed in

To Top