Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Oil/ Filter & Tire Pressure

Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
tacoma crazy is on a distinguished road
Name: Troy
tacoma crazy's Tacoma Gallery
Oil/ Filter & Tire Pressure

I have a 2011 tacoma loaded, & love it. Now all my Vehicles/ Equipment have ran Royal Purple & Wix filters, W/ Oil change evry 12,000 & filter change evry 6000miles, meaning 2 filter per oil change and NEVER had any engine problems.

So when i seen in toyota parts (Royal Purple), I was relieved! Now I made a deal w/ the service dept. to use my royal purple, verses buying theirs, & they did'nt mind! but their recommended syn oil change @ 10,000. After my free maintenance service is over, I'm going bck to my regular oil change schedule.

The ? is do I stay w/ a toyota oil filter or wix, and next ? is I have 17inch bridgestone tires, What tire pressure do Ya'll run in the Summer, and what pressure to run in the Winter!!! in Conroe,Tx
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

I'd stick with the Toyota oil filters. They are actually very good filters and competitively priced as well.

For tire pressure, I run 31-32 PSI year round with factory Bridgestone tires. I'm a little heavy though because I have a shell and carry tools in the bed. This tire pressure seems to give a good ride and wear well.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
crabmanbc21 is on a distinguished road
crabmanbc21's Tacoma Gallery
If your tires are stock size and load range, use Toyotas recommended pressure inside the drivers door jamb.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Toyotas recommended tire pressure is for rugged fails that came on truck.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd stick with the Toyota oil filters. They are actually very good filters and competitively priced as well.
I will second this. One of our TW members(mod, chris4x4) did a comprehensive oil filter comparison/tear-down. I appears that stock filters may in fact be the best choice available for us. Here is the thread mentioned...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html

I bought a bulk case of 10 filters from a dealership online and costs me like 40 bucks. It's a great deal.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
tacoma crazy is on a distinguished road
Name: Troy
tacoma crazy's Tacoma Gallery
Oil/Filter & Tire Pressure

TY Guys for info. but I take it no-one runs Royal Purple oil or even Aims oil which in my opinion is the best synthetic oil. they both run engines cooler and seals the engines internal moving parts, Take for instance, I have a 97 Harley Fatboy, Put royal purple and wix oil filter in engine, The engine oil temp. went from 240*F to 180*F!. Over a few years, I rebuilt the top end myself due to compression problems. After rebuild, decided to break in engine w/ HD 20w-50, which is very heavy & wix oil filter, W/ new pistons & bore job, The engine oil temp. is still at 180*f.

So that being said, Still looking for a few more replys, hopefully from around my region!! on Tire presssures best for winter/ summer weathers. Not to hurt any-ones prefferences on oil filters, Toyota does'nt make oil filters, therefore another oil filter company makes them for Toyota, but Toyota can't answer my ? as to who makes their oil filter, After the comparison between wix or Toyota oil filter. Wix & Royal Purple still have my vote!!

Tire pressures ? is still up in the air!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
I like to use the Bosch Distance plus oil filter. A link to the filter, http://www.boschautoparts.com/filter....aspx#overview
I have used this filter on my Miata now for two years,and I only change my oil once a year. It has a limited waranty that will repair an engine if the filter is the cause of an engine failure. It is not that expensive, but it is more expensive than the stock oil filter.
On my Tacoma, I will continue to use the stock oil Filter untill my two year free servicing expires. I am testing my oil with the Blackstone oil testing service and I will keep on doing that after I can start extending my oil changes when the free service time is up. The improvements in both oil and oil filter technology has made it easier and safer to extend the standard oil change interval from the old standard of a 3 month period for the changing of oil and filter.