Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toomuch oil

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
sheamus is on a distinguished road
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Toomuch oil

Just did a change and ended up with about a quarter of a litre too much in case. Shows just under quarter inch over top mark on dip stick this morning. Should I drain a bit or leave it. Normally I would leave it, but new truck and I am fairly anal about it.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Leave it and just cut your next oil change interval in half (3 mo. or 5000 km). The 1GR-FE dipstick isn't very precise anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Leave it and just cut your next oil change interval in half (3 mo. or 5000 km).
Why?

If it's going to cause damage, it's going to begin happening as soon as he starts it (and 1/2qt over is not going to cause a problem).

There is nothing gained by changing earlier.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I wouldn't find it any trouble to drain a little. It is probably okay to leave, but "IF" something happened you would always kick yourself in the ass. Just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Why?

If it's going to cause damage, it's going to begin happening as soon as he starts it (and 1/2qt over is not going to cause a problem).

There is nothing gained by changing earlier.
My dealer recommended cutting the first two oil change intervals by half for break-in.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
My dealer recommended cutting the first two oil change intervals by half for break-in.
Okay... so nothing to do with the overfill.
You really had me scratching my head... you're usually pretty on the ball

I agree that it's not a bad idea to make the first change a bit earlier.
On a new car, I generally hit the first change at 2000 miles and switch to synthetic from there out.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
I actually did my first change way early (1650km), because I wanted to get syn in there quick, as the week I picked it up it was -30C.

Yeah, it is simple to drain some... I'll just go do it, and pick up a marked jug for the next change.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if they have them in Canada but I use those Mobil 1 5+ jugs, it's like 5.1 quarts and seems to be perfect for the V6. Just dump the whole jug in and you're good to go. I end up about 3/4 of the way up between the low and high marks.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
My owners manual calls for 5.5 qts but that shows over on the stick... around 5.25 qts puts it closer to the fill mark. All the capacities are approximant according to what i've read and it's recommended to add as necssary to bring to appropriate levels. This was according in the Chilton's manual... not sure what the Haynes manual says
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I think I was pretty close to 5.5, I drained little over 1/4 litre. We'll see where that puts it. Oil is still so clean, I couldn't really tell where it was reading this morning. I'll drive it, wait and check it, see where it is at.

We have the 5L (5+ qts) jugs here but most are 4.4L (4.65 qts). The oil I bought came in 4.4L.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't know if they have them in Canada but I use those Mobil 1 5+ jugs, it's like 5.1 quarts and seems to be perfect for the V6. Just dump the whole jug in and you're good to go. I end up about 3/4 of the way up between the low and high marks.
X2. This is the perfect way to go and I'm going to start doing the same. I just learned the 3/4 mark on the dipstick is around the best spot cause if you fill it to the top or overfill it, you can over pressurize the engine.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
X2. This is the perfect way to go and I'm going to start doing the same. I just learned the 3/4 mark on the dipstick is around the best spot cause if you fill it to the top or overfill it, you can over pressurize the engine.
The other nice thing about them is I drain my oil into one of those drain pans with a spout on them. I drain that back into the oil jug after I refill the engine and it's easy for me to return to the store for disposal and I can also pretty readily tell if I burned oil between changes and, if so, how much.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The other nice thing about them is I drain my oil into one of those drain pans with a spout on them. I drain that back into the oil jug after I refill the engine and it's easy for me to return to the store for disposal and I can also pretty readily tell if I burned oil between changes and, if so, how much.
That sounds like a good plan. I also use those oil drain pans but luckily just a few blocks from my house is the public works shops so I just dispose of my oil over there and they reuse it to burn their shop furnaces so its a win/win situation.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think in Canada those are sold as 5-liter jugs.

And yes, according to the owner's manual, the dipstick reading takes precedence over the nominal oil capacity listed in the specs.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
This was according in the Chilton's manual... not sure what the Haynes manual says
Same company now.
I bought both for the Taco because for my '95 Suburban, each manual had information lacking in the other, example, one gave all of the OBD codes as well as all of the ABS codes and how to jumper the OBD-1 connector to pull the ABS codes.
The other only gave the OBD codes and provided NO information on working on the ABS system, telling you to take it to the dealer.
But the manual that had the ABS codes and information said to take it to a shop for repair of the HVAC system. The one that lacked the ABS codes told you how to rebuild the entire AC system.

But the Taco manuals? They are identical, and the quality of the information in the manuals has fallen badly over the last 15 years. I won't be buying one again.

5.5 quarts is about where you want to be.
The dipstick tends to "drag" oil out of the pan when you pull it out so it tends to read high.
Best to remove the stick and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, then wipe the stick and reinsert it, pulling to read.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
another sk'er

5L of mobile 1 here is, i think over $50 with tax

castrol gtx is around $25

castrol ftw!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think in Canada those are sold as 5-liter jugs.

And yes, according to the owner's manual, the dipstick reading takes precedence over the nominal oil capacity listed in the specs.
Where is that wrote and what exactly does it say if you don't mind me asking.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
sheamus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
another sk'er

5L of mobile 1 here is, i think over $50 with tax

castrol gtx is around $25

castrol ftw!
I castrol syn for $30 at Canadian tire sale. Just gotta watch the sales for syn.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Overfilling does not cause any type of excessive pressure. If you do overfill by too much (and 1/2 quart is not too much) what happens is that the oil level is high enough that the journals of the crankshaft will actually "splash" into the oil. This can cause some problems. Imagine what happens when you swing a bat and it hits water. It slows down. This is the same result in an overfilled engine. The crankshaft will splash into the oil, and the end result is normally an engine vibration (remember this crankshaft is rotating at around 750RPM at idle) that gets excessive with higher RPM.

Again though, you would need to overfill by usually 1.5 to 2 quarts too much for this to happen.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Where is that wrote and what exactly does it say if you don't mind me asking.
Page 454 of the 2013 owner's manual (page number may be different for other years)
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...html?locale=en

Quote:
*: The engine oil capacity is a reference quantity to be used when exchanging.
Warm up and turn off the engine, wait more than 5 minutes, and check the oil
level on the dipstick.
There's some good info in there. For example, if you intend to drive at 100 mph all day on stock tires, then the tire pressure when cold should be increased by 3 psi over the door jamb label.