Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Don't disconnect the battery?????

Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Sky King is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Sky King's Tacoma Gallery
Don't disconnect the battery?????

Ok, this is my first Toyota period. Being an experienced aircraft mechanic with MANY years under my belt and having done all the maintenance on all my prior vehicles, I am the type that reads the manuals.

I have a lot of plans for this "new" Tacoma. Most involve aftermarket audio, (the factory system sucks). Multiple amps, signal processing, speakers, subs, satellite radio, blue tooth and aftermarket head unit, a CB radio, possible aux driving lignting and so on.

I noted a yellow boxed warning in the owners manual about NOT disconnecting the battery. WHAT IS WITH THAT??? Needless to say, making these additions to the vehicle will require having the battery disconnected as all these items will require running power.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmm, i've disconnected the battery on my '12 a few times already. No issues. Know what head unit your looking into? Pioneer DEH-80prs is a solid option

~M
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Sky King is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Sky King's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Hmmmm, i've disconnected the battery on my '12 a few times already. No issues. Know what head unit your looking into? Pioneer DEH-80prs is a solid option

~M
Well my "new" Tacoma is an '07 but new to me. I couldn't figure any good reason you shouldn't disconnect the battery.

As for the audio. I am going to try to utilize as much of the equipment I had in my previous vehicle. The reason I got this truck is that it replaces a 99 Saturn that a 175 lb, 8 point buck totaled when I hit it on the interstate at 75 mph.

The head unit is a Kenwood, (don't remember the model right off hand). It is a CD changer controller, AM-FM with CD. It is Satellite and Blue Tooth ready. The amps are both Kenwood, one a four channel 360 watt which drives 4 MB Quart co-axials with outboard crossovers. One in each corner of the car, one channel of the amp going to each speaker. The other amp is a Kenwood 600 watt, two channel amp driving two Boston Acoustic dual voice coil subs, one channel of the amp going to each sub. The signal goes through a Audio Control EQS six channel, 13 band equalizer with dedicated sub out put. I also have a Sirius Satellite receiver which is directly controlled by the Kenwood head and a Blue Tooth module for the head. This is all tuned using pink noise and a real time analyzer (RTA).

I am confident that all the electronics will be usable but I don't know yet if the speakers I have will fit. The factory stuff in the truck really sounds muddy. I don't know yet what I can use to replace the factory speakers in the doors, with the separate tweeter in the front doors and just where I can fit my subs right now.

But all this is going to take some experimentation and the battery is going to have to disconnected while I wire all this up. There were also multiple warnings about after market electronics interfering with the truck systems. Any input any of you have about this would be appreciated. These are probably Toyota disclaimers just to cover their asses when in reality there will be no problem but I thought I would ask.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i have disconnected mine a few times. most recent was when i put a new pioneer avh p4400BH head unit in.

i also have a ’07 i got mine last year. also FYI depending on the head unit. you may really need speakers. i get dad distortion when volume is at like 25 to 28+. (unit goes up to 40 on volume) i really need new better aftermarket speakers.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
I noted a yellow boxed warning in the owners manual about NOT disconnecting the battery. WHAT IS WITH THAT??? Needless to say, making these additions to the vehicle will require having the battery disconnected as all these items will require running power.
It's probably in reference to something. What else did it say?

I highly doubt it just says, Don't disconnect the battery ever for any reason.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Disconnected my '07 PLENTY of times. Your good.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
It's probably in reference to something. What else did it say?

I highly doubt it just says, Don't disconnect the battery ever for any reason.
x2.

I have a 2007 and have disconnected the battery several times. In fact, if you get an error code or do any kind of major maintenance to the vehicle, disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes is how you can reset the ECU. There's no harm in doing so as long as you do it correctly.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I imagine what they really mean is "only an authorized Toyota dealer disconnect the battery so they can charge you $125 to do it"

Sort of like "DANGER - CAUTION, never operate vehicle with worn or damaged wiper blades - contact Toyota dealer immediately for servicing."
Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
also when i take the + off i wrap a towel around it or a shop rag, it does not like to site far a way(just the way the wires are) so i wrap a shop rag around it so that if it does touch the battery it wont do anything. i don’t think you HAVE TO do this but i do and most my friends that care about their cars/ trucks do this as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
also when i take the + off i wrap a towel around it or a shop rag, it does not like to site far a way(just the way the wires are) so i wrap a shop rag around it so that if it does touch the battery it wont do anything. i don’t think you HAVE TO do this but i do and most my friends that care about their cars/ trucks do this as well.

This is why it says not to disconnect the battery! Negative first, there is no need to remove positive cable unless changing or servicing the battery. If you ground out your wrench when removing the positive you can cause damage to your vehicle or yourself. If you are wearing a ring that is touching the wrench you will cause serious burns to that finger. aslo can blow main fuse, ecu's, ground wires....

Op there is no issue disconnecting your battery if done correctly.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
My 2006 gets disconnected every time I park the thing for any length of time. No harm done.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
They could be talking about it resetting the ECU. Some people have mentioned that thier truck runs rough or whatever after leaving the battery disconnected because the ECU has reset and is having to learn your engine again.

Who knows. They gotta put something in there to make it look like they actually have some useful info....
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
My 2006 gets disconnected every time I park the thing for any length of time. No harm done.
So you're saying your battery never gets connected?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

HAHAHA
jackstand boi!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanv View Post

This is why it says not to disconnect the battery! Negative first, there is no need to remove positive cable unless changing or servicing the battery. If you ground out your wrench when removing the positive you can cause damage to your vehicle or yourself. If you are wearing a ring that is touching the wrench you will cause serious burns to that finger. aslo can blow main fuse, ecu's, ground wires....

Op there is no issue disconnecting your battery if done correctly.
I've wondered about this. When disconnecting to re-set the ecu all that's required is disconnecting the negative correct?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I've wondered about this. When disconnecting to re-set the ecu all that's required is disconnecting the negative correct?
Correct. Disconnect for 20 minutes and it'll reset.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
I did run into a issues with Toyota when my truck fried 2 battery's and everything in my truck didn't work battery acid on my garage floor. They blamed my stereo and behind grill lights but I did all installs myself and not a pro but do know what I doing. They said my 600watt amp could be the cause drawing too much amps with the 4g power wire well took it to an auto shop had them trace the short which was in my backup camera mirror cause the short the whole truck but was warranty so the story is if u have a problem they gonna blame you.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
HAHAHA
jackstand boi!
It's not far from the truth.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
It MAY have something to do with an alarm or anti theft. I remember reading a post where somebody had a HUGE problem after disconecting his battery. A lot of dash lights were on and the AC blow but not cool.

Anyway, thats what came to mind..... good luck Sir.

BTW SkyKing, good to see another local on here. Im right down the road from ya in Hernando