Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Replace Catalytic Converter in CA

Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Krasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
Krasus22's Tacoma Gallery
Replace Catalytic Converter in CA

Hello All,

I have been looking on the forums for some time but have yet to really find an answer. My catalytic converter has so happily given me its code, and it is in need of a replacement. I am at 155,00 miles, so I do not fit within warranty, and lastly I live in California so I have to abide by our super strick emission laws. The dealership is giving me a replacement cost a little over $2,000 and my shop I go to is giving me a replacement cost of about $2,000 also. Their justification is that the part has to be ordered directly from Toyota and there are currently no third party companies that make a California legal Catalytic Converter for the 2nd Gen Tacomas.

So short story long, is there any hope for me finding a cheaper replacement?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Looked at Rock Auto for you. List converters for fed n cal emissions and then turn right around and say not for use on CA vehicles. Useless.

Popped on Will Titus Toyota site (think I spelled that right). Used to be 1st Toyota parts. Did not ask about CA emission. Just year n model. Came up with one converter with pipe assembly listed so may or may not be a CA one.

List $1116 and their price $879. Plus ship of course, but still. If you are stuck with factory then might be worth giving them a bell and seeing if correct, cost of ship and then deciding if you are about to do the job yourself. Appears from the picture to be all bolt on. Could save you a chunk of change off a $2000 bill perhaps.

http://parts.tituswilltoyota.com/oempartscat.html
Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Krasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura aboutKrasus22 has a spectacular aura about

I will check it our and give them a call. I was running into the same problem that you went through with Rock Auto... I will find a site that says they have one that fits and is CA legal go to final page and then says 49 state approved except CA.

Thank you for your help! I am also tempted to see if I can find a tacoma at a junk yard or something and take its converter.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasus22 View Post
....I am also tempted to see if I can find a tacoma at a junk yard or something and take its converter.
not likely. I know in Va it is illegal to buy or sell a used one unless it is for scrap. And you need to be licensed. Secondly, that the the first thing the junkyards rip off and send to the recycler for scrap metal.

I don't condone it, not sure if it is legal, but I hear people use 'spacers' on their sensors these days...I guess that only works until the damn thing clogs though.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

I thought there was something like that too about the used ones. Not sure, might depend on areas perhaps as to if you can buy them from the junk yard or not. Honestly not paid attention when I've been to the local picknpull.

I've seen a few online used part dealers that have a pretty good selection of later model Tacomas. You might try contacting some of them and see what they say about being able to buy.

Thought does spring up though, are you absolutely positive that it is bad and not an issue with sensors or an exhaust leak or something. Before I shelled out that sort of money I'd certainly be looking hard for other potential issues causing it first.

If it is the converter then I saw a crazy looking video on youtube about a chap pulling the converter off and soaking it to clean it out. Think I'd just be tempted to try that as well with the price of them lol
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately OP you cannot buy used cats in CA as it is illegal.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #7

Good to know guys!

I contacted Will Titus Toyota, and from initial contact it appears it might be a possible solutions.

"We are a Toyota Dealership. We only sell Genuine factory Parts. I Need to
know Which converter it is that you need. There are more than one on your
truck. Please provide that info and we will provide a quote.

Regards,

Darrel"

So now... I have to figure out which converter I need, definitely pretty new at this aspect of my truck.

Thank you for all of your support everyone!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #8

You should be able to give them the vin and I'd think get the right part. Guess you could always look at any markings on the part needed as well. Stamped numbers etc.