1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steel Cable or Synthic Rope

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by RDNK TAZ, Dec 16, 2012.

?

Steel Cable or Synthic Rope

1. Steel Cable

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. Synthic Rope

62 vote(s)
    80.5%
  1. Dec 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Synthetic every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

It's lighter, it's safer, it's a million times easier to re-spool, it's just as strong. Only downside is it less resilient to be scraped along a rock/tree, but cable doesn't handle that all that well either. That's where straps, sleeves, and snatch blocks come in.

2. Dec 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    RDNK TAZ

RDNK TAZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Marion, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver Streak Mica DCSB TRD 2x4
    Ok, besides the safety issue. Its there anyone on here that has synthetic rope on theirs that doesn't use their winch on an every day bases. More like maybe once a month if that. How well has it held up and have you cleaned it like it should be?

3. Dec 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab 4x4
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    My buddy has synthetic rope and a very good point on it is that it is a hell of a lot easier to wrap back up than steel cable. I don't know about his maintenance routine though, he barely uses it.

4. Dec 24, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We had it on our jeep for years and only used it when needed. Probably once a month or less. It never really got dirty....other than regular usage. We may have sprayed it off with a hose after being submerged in mud.

Don't over-think it. If it were that complicated to deal with, nobody would recommend it.

5. Dec 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I use steel but I use the winch on my runner for tree removal for my buddies business as well for wheeling. Otherwise I would use synthetic.

6. Dec 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Absolutely no question.

Synthetic winch line.

Take care of it, wash it every once in a while.
    [​IMG]

7. Dec 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    Tenmile Tacoma

Tenmile Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    3 in Bilstein lift (6112s front, 5100s rear w/ 1.5in AAL) 285/70R17 KO2 RCI Rock Sliders & Engine Skid REKGEN Mudflaps K&N CAI
    I've heard cable is better for work. For instance, it is great for plowing. But, when it comes to off roading I've heard synthetic is awesome. As the others said, it doesn't fray and just falls to the ground when it breaks. I am running cable on my winch on my atv and literally hate it. I am switching to synthetic when I have time to take the winch off my quad and replace the cable with the rope. I don't like the cable for a couple reasons: Kinks, frays, bends, it's heavy and snaps when broken, which is sooo dangerous.

8. Dec 25, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    Mikehole

Mikehole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Short Bed TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift w/ 285/75/16s and planning on OBA for sometime in the future. Also thinking about the HWMS and a Warn 8000 for it.
    Warn's "winching techniques" on the M8000 page tells you to lay a heavy mover's blanket on the center point of the non-tensioned cable.

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/images/1842/62885A6_Domestic-read.pdf

page 10

I went with synthetic, due to the front end weight being less. Haven't used it yet, because I'm in the process of installing my bumper and winch, and haven't even bothered to do the initial spooling, yet.

9. Dec 25, 2012 at 1:48 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Synthetic rope is my choice as well. It's safer, easier to drag out or re-spool, floats on water, and just a lot less hassle overall. My winch is less than a year old and has already been used several times (to pull a car out of the ditch, pull down a brick column at an old house for fun, etc) with no problems.

My plan is to replace the winch cable (synthetic rope) about once every two~three years, or earlier if visibly damaged.

I tape (waterproof duct tape) black plastic (unopened garbage bag) tightly around the rope itself to keep the sun off. The plastic comes off easily when I need to use the winch and is eventually replaced when I get around to it afterwards.

Products Discussed in

To Top