Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

keyless range: antenna wire to radio antenna?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation RS3000 keyless range boost aka the other grey wire mod

EDIT: not sure if this is the best place for this. but is anyone, dissatisfied with the poor low range of your factory keyless/alarm? originally i wanted to connect the keyless entry's antenna wire to the radio antenna, but wasn't sure if it would even work. so instead ended up doing something simpler and had great results. I can now use my remote from across my street and I've used it from 3 stories up.
here's my write up.

first step is to remove the lower driver side dash.

this can be done by unbolting 4 bolts and unscrewing one screw. then remove the hood popper thing by unscrewing two screws. be sure to undo the wire harness(es) for the LED security light. i couldn't get the one bigger harness off, so i had to remove the two smaller ones.

second step
is to remove the trim along the bottom of the door sill and remove the kick panel. this can be done with a phillips screw driver and some elbow grease. then locate the alarm/keyless brain/module... what ever u call it.

the rs3000 brain is the biggest rectangular prism shaped module behind the dash/kick panel (confirmed on my 99 and another member's 00.)
but some other year models are located under drivers seat like the diagram shows...
the brain will have an inscription stating what it is. mine was very faded but i saw toyota rs3000 on it.
I located the brain behind the dash, between the fuse box and the firewall.

Step three is to find the solitary grey wire coming out of the brain

trace it as far as you can, you are looking for the loose end. Mine was wrapped around the rest of the rs3000 wires, multiple times. Unravel it and run it up the a pillar. you dont have to remove the a pillar, just push the wire in between the plastic and your windshield with your fingers or small flat head. be sure to tuck any excess wire into headliner.
if your brain is under the driver seat, run it up the driver side or rear wall, into headliner.

step four is to test the new extended range and put all your shit back together.

step five is enjoy your favorite vice, you earned it.

now i can use the keyless entry from about 5x further than before and if this isn't enough range for you for some reason, just stick the keyless clicker thingy to your temple or chin and push it. you will gain an additional 10 feet, or so i hear... i haven't tried because I'm so pleased with the range i have after this mod!!!!!

this took me a long time to do because I couldn't find much about it online (although if you look hard enough there is some info on 4runners and tundras and i attribute much of my success to them), but I'm confident with this write up, you can do it in 30 mins.

I didn't take any of my own pics.
i hope this write up helps some of you mugs!

RS3200 keyless entry to alarm upgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBran View Post

Gives you an idea. This is looking in the corner, you can see the footrest at the bottom to help get your bearings.

The single wire will be plugged into the harness. Just unplug and this will enable your keyless entry to be an actual alarm. As previously mentioned you can add the led so you have a visual theft deterrent and you can also add the shock sensor.

To test it roll your window down, close your door and arm the truck. Wait about 30 seconds and reach in and pull up on the lock to unlock it. You should get "alarmed"

This is where it was located on my 03 and another 03 I did. Other threads have mentioned other locations in different years. So if you don't see yours here keep looking around. I also did NOT need to pull the lower dash piece off. It took me longer to type this reply then do the mod Haha. Good luck!!
Now for an added bonus, you can find and purchase a glass break sensor and LED indicator. plug the sensor into the harness by the dash fuse box and the LED's harness is close by, you may need to remove the lower dash to find it... bam full alarm!
This mod will absolutely work with out the glass break sensor and/or LED.
The RS3200 should also be able to have it's range extended by the RS3000 range mod above and I believe there's even a range adjuster knob on its brain on the 04 models, possibly on all the 01-04 models, i'm really not sure. But that's what I heard.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome, I hate my keyless entry. Im usually about to open the door before I can get it to unlock. Added to the fist gen write-ups at your request
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Nice write up !!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Awsome, I hate my keyless entry. Im usually about to open the door before I can get it to unlock. Added to the fist gen write-ups at your request
thanx guys, just wish i could change the title, since this thread started as a question (had no replies) lol

my range was like 10 feet to 1 foot away from the truck before lol I was at the point where I only used the keyless entry at school or in houston because of the alarm. plus i drove a truck with manual everything for 8 years so i'm still getting used to all the power features of my taco
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
For 2001-2003 you should be able to get to the wire without removing the lower dash panel, but it might be easier with the panel off to find the loose end. Here's a writeup on it on customtacos (pic is missing): http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=87

On a 2004 the wire is a bit trickier to find since it's bundled in with all of the other wires. I literally spent years trying to find it using that writeup. Finally after finding the wiring harness pinout I found it. You have to remove the driver's side door trim along the floor and then the kick panel to get to the security/keyless cpu. It's the biggest black box behind the kick panel. There's a single bolt holding it in place with a bracket. Unbolt it and pull it out to get to the plugs on the back, there will be some tape sticking it to the side as well. Now find the grey wire with the black stripe, it will be in a corner on one end of the row of plugs. When the box is bolted in place it should be wire at the very top.

Here's a pic of mine with a blue wire tap on the grey wire and the red wire is the antenna extension running up the pillar. The box is unbolted and pulled away in this pic.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
got a question for ya
i have a 01 sr5 trd tacoma, it didn't come with a keyless remote
do you think it had 1 when new?
how can i get a replacement?
dealer?
ebay?

thanks for your help
Old 12-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglett View Post
got a question for ya
i have a 01 sr5 trd tacoma, it didn't come with a keyless remote
do you think it had 1 when new?
how can i get a replacement?
dealer?
ebay?

thanks for your help
I seem to remember the keyless being an option for '01-'03 before being standard for '04. I could be wrong on that though.

Probably the best way to check is to look for the security system computer. It will be behind the kick panel in the driver's side footwell below/behind the fuse box (the box is pictured in the OP). To get in there remove the driver's side door trim along the floor by taking out the four screws holding it in and popping it out. Then the kick panel pulls to the rear and pops out.

If you have the security CPU there I believe you can get remotes on eBay then take them to the dealer to be programmed. If not, you can get an aftermarket security system to add keyless remotes. The latter could end up being cheaper than the former regardless, depending on what a dealer charges to program remotes.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

also u can program the remotes yourself. i've seen how-to's, i think, on TW. if not, i've seem em on a few other tacoma/toyota forums before
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
tomashworth is on a distinguished road
tomashworth's Tacoma Gallery
2004 I just turn up the knob on the security CPU, now i can unlock and lock about 40 yrd away. Thanks for the info. great
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
piglett is on a distinguished road
piglett's Tacoma Gallery
if i can program it myself them that would be great
the crazy thing is that drivers side kick pannel was removed today to replace a non working c/c switch that is on the break peddle
oh well i can remove it again & give er a look

thanks everyone
piglett
wolfeboro,nh
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

tried the temple and chin things today, temple didnt work, but chin added a couple feet to teh range
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

needs a bump

it's funny really, sometimes i have enough range after this mod, that my doors actually re-lock themselves because it takes my longer than 30 seconds to reach the truck!! thats some range!!!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Hmm, what if you added the wire to your antenna?
That's what we're doing.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
That's what we're doing.
Haha maybe I worded that wrong. I meant what if you ran extra wire to your radio antenna?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Haha maybe I worded that wrong. I meant what if you ran extra wire to your radio antenna?
Ah, I would be worried about interference going both ways.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

i had planned to wire it the the radio but i didnt know if it would work. plus after i found the antenna grey wire, it was way easy and worked so well, i no longer cared about the radio antenna part.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
shay is on a distinguished road
shay's Tacoma Gallery
hello
i'm new here and i have question

if i will extend the "keyless brain" wires and put the "keyless brain" on the one of the side of the trunk (back of the car) behind the tail light's (where i put the parking sensor's) the "keyless brain" will be far away from the dashboard wires
it will be more effective signal?

here picture that will help:

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

^^^ not exactly applicable here...