1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I disable the ADD?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by lhedrick, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dec 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    lhedrick

lhedrick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    T100
    Close to the time to retire my 18 year old T100.

My 5 speed manual T100 had a vacuum actuated ADD. Would not disengage when cold. Some times it would not engage. It never worked properly until I removed it. Installed ASISN hubs from an old 4Runner, then removed the vacuum system and permanently shifted in the front differential with a mechanical modification. It's now a totally manual system and it works every time. I can also use low range in rear wheal drive only in tight spots like backing a boat down a long narrow ramp without it binding up. All I have to do is unlock the front hubs and then shift the transfer case.

No full size trucks available with a manual transmission. NONE! I am hoping for the 6 speed manual in the Tundra but it doesn't look good. All the big new automatic transmissions are too heavy, expensive and inefficient with all the locking and unlocking of the torque converters.

So,

the Tacoma has the 6 speed manual with the ADD. Does any technical person know if free hubs can be put on the thing and the ADD disabled like I did with the T100. At least I and hubs so I can use 4WD low without the front differential locked to the wheels.

Manual is always better.

2. Dec 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Presumably since you mentioned 6 speed, you are referring to the second gens. The second gens never came with manual locking hubs and as such, AFAIK there is no manual hub conversions for the second gens.

Short of custom fab work, no...there's no way to go manual on a second gen.

3. Dec 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    lhedrick

lhedrick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    T100
    On my T100 I removed a splined cap which locked the wheel to the axel shaft, then just bolted on the free hubs.

Some how I would think the wheel on the new ones would be lock the front rotor to the shaft in the same way. I wonder if that is still the same. Doesn't seem like something which would have needed changing. It might be possible that the AISIN hubs might bolt on the new trucks.

I doubt the dealer will let me take off a wheel to check and I know for sure the service department won't tell me anything.

4. Dec 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    You were able to do it on the T100 because the T100/Tundra share the same CV outer and spindle as the 1st gen taco. Pre 2000 tacos (and some 3rd gen 4runners) had the option for manual hubs which is how you were able to use the AISIN hubs.

I'm fairly confident you won't be able to use the same hubs, or someone would have already done it.

Products Discussed in

To Top