Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Time to replace old torque wrench

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Time to replace old torque wrench

I have an old Craftsman needle type torque wrench and want to step up a little. I would like something in the $50.00-$60.00 range since Christmas took its toll. What would you recommend and why?
Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 each craftsman that are old say ten years or so and they work excellent. Back in the day when I worked in a aircraft repair station they were cal'd with no issue.

HF and Northern tool have torque wrenches I would think they are probably ok but I wouldn't have the faith in them myself.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a couple of Craftsman and Husky.
Standard click type, about $75.
I don't care for the electronic digital type.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Anybody familiar with either of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-16250...=torque+wrench

or

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2445-2-...=torque+wrench

or

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-2-Inch-2...=torque+wrench
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^They are probably as bad as the HarborFreight torque wrenches, just with higher retail markup...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...rench-239.html
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
I had one craftsman and it immediately went out of cal. Got a replacement and took it home and bought a snap-on for the shop. Been using them ever since.
I'm sure it was a fluke because all my tools at home are craftsman and they live in a extreme environment there. You will be fine with a Craftsman however I would suggest going after the higher priced one if there is a choice. I also don't like the digital ones.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I wouldn't trust those on engine parts.

I've got a cheapie from Autozone that I use ONLY for lug nuts... that's all I would trust those to do.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
woode87 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aircraft Mechanic
Name: Eric
woode87's Tacoma Gallery
I have a kobalt that works great for me, was marked down from $119 to $9 at lowes (i think it was a mistake but i snagged it in a hurry)
Old 12-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
What about this?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro...2&blockType=G2
Old 12-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I have a snap on..would buy nothing else.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery

I'm also looking for a torque wrench and cheap bench vise.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

That'll do well for you.

It's a 1/2" drive, 20-150.
Torque wrenches do not generally work well near their extremes, I would limit this one to the 35-125 range.
Grab a 3/8" drive to handle tasks below 50.
I also have a 1/4" drive in inch-pounds, but it's overkill for the Tacoma. About the only thing I use it on is the cam bearing caps and other 5-6mm fasteners on my dirtbike.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
For the money, You cant beat the Craftsman Micro-torque wrenches. They hold calibration very well. Last time I had mine calibrated, after 5 years, it wasnt off at all.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure2Comply View Post
I'd go bigger. 150 is low IMO.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That'll do well for you.

It's a 1/2" drive, 20-150.
Torque wrenches do not generally work well near their extremes, I would limit this one to the 35-125 range.
Grab a 3/8" drive to handle tasks below 50.
I also have a 1/4" drive in inch-pounds, but it's overkill for the Tacoma. About the only thing I use it on is the cam bearing caps and other 5-6mm fasteners on my dirtbike.
I appreciate your insight. I had a real nice Snap-On inch pound torque wrench but I donated it to a group of military snipers in Iraq for their scopes. I figured it was more important for them to be that accurate.

Also was looking at his one but it does not go very low.

http://www.homedepot.com/Husky/h_d1/...1#.UNeUJHfNnTo
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Not many bolts on teh Tacoma or many other vehicles, go over 100#.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
20-150 is good, and it'll handle lug nuts and most suspension parts.

Going over 150 in a quality wrench is going to get expensive fast... which is why my 250 is a cheapie that's only used for lug nuts. Most lug nuts are 80, I think my Duramax was 120.
I've got a clutch hub nut on my motorcycle that takes 105 and that's the highest I've got on anything that's remotely routine.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure2Comply View Post
I appreciate your insight. I had a real nice Snap-On inch pound torque wrench but I donated it to a group of military snipers in Iraq for their scopes. I figured it was more important for them to be that accurate.

Also was looking at his one but it does not go very low.

http://www.homedepot.com/Husky/h_d1/...1#.UNeUJHfNnTo
That one is going to be comparable to Craftsman in quality.
I wouldn't get that one just yet since you're on a budget.

The Craftsman 20-150 is going to be a decent all-around tool for now. I would add a 3/8" drive 10-75 such as this one, and those two will hold you well for most tasks. The 10-75 will be perfect for spark plugs and similar... the big 1/2" drive is just too much, and too easy to fumble it and damage something.
$140 for the pair... not cheap, but more than adequate for anything you're likely to need.
You can add the 50-250 later if you find that you're getting into heavier work frequently, but I don't see it being needed on the Tacoma.
Like Chris said, 100 is pretty much max.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
20-150 is good, and it'll handle lug nuts and most suspension parts.

Going over 150 in a quality wrench is going to get expensive fast... which is why my 250 is a cheapie that's only used for lug nuts. Most lug nuts are 80, I think my Duramax was 120.
I've got a clutch hub nut on my motorcycle that takes 105 and that's the highest I've got on anything that's remotely routine.
Tundra wheel torque 150 as an example. Crush collars. Just saying if he wants one and the price is close I'd go bigger. Like I said IMO.. He may never use it but he has it

Products Discussed in this Thread