Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Clock resets.....everyday! HELP!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bkmcinty's Tacoma Gallery
I popped off one of the map light covers and the spring that makes the light click on and off is broken so it doesn't click anymore I tried to fix it and still no light maybe when that broke it shorted something out idk I'm at my wits end with no lights in the cab at night and I didn't realize how much I depend on my clock until I don't have it if I figure it out ill let you guys know
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Loose or oxidized ground or power connections can also cause this problem, especially since they are seeming unrelated intermittent open failures. I believe that the lights and clock are wired to the always hot power bus, so that should take the switched power buss out of the equation. You are probably loosing your external lights, ECM settings, or radio presets as well. A wiring diagram will show you the common path for all that is failing.

At 77 degrees F and after the surface charge is removed, a fully charged healthy wet low maintenance battery should read at least 12.6 VDC and a wet "Maintenance Free" or AGM battery should read 12.8 VDC.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #23
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok so I rechecked all the fuses by continuity and they all tested fine and working. I then checked to see if there was power being fed to the map lights at the bulb socket and there was no power so I figured well just bc the fuse is testing fine ill pull it out and take a look.......of course it's burnt to hell so I replace it with another 7.5 amp and lights work for a few seconds before pooping the fuse so I stick a 10 amp in it and same result few seconds of light and pop goes the fuse. Frustrated and not wanting to burn up a lot of fuses and risk hurting something even more I decide to throw in a 15 at my last effort. Boom it all works flawlessly.....still not sure why it blew the 7.5 and the 10 amp but they all work fine with the 15 now if something goes wrong I guess it'll pop the light bulbs but hey I have lights and a clock now thanks for all the input guys!!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #26

Just got in the truck......clicked the map on.......blew it again wtf could be going on up there?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Short circuit (unintentional grounding) somewhere.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmcinty View Post
Just got in the truck......clicked the map on.......blew it again wtf could be going on up there?
Sounds like there's an internal short inside the light assembly. Fuses don't pop for no reason. I wouldn't put any more fuses in until you fix the short or you are going to burn up some wiring. You need to either replace the light assembly, or take it apart and see if you can find what is causing the short.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
Dismembered

Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
^This or disconnect the map light for the time being. Dome light & clock should work, better than nothing.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #30
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Nelson, great advice. If an electrical fire occurs and to mitigate their liability, one of the first things an insurance adjuster looks for, especially if aftermarket equipment has been added, is undersized wiring no or oversized fusing. In extreme cases, insurance companies will have an investigator inspect and document the evidence.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
ndub86 will become famous soon enoughndub86 will become famous soon enough
Name: Neal
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
I had this exact issue on my brand new '13 Tacoma. It happened about once every week or so. I was freaking out because I bought a brand new truck for the sole purpose of not having any problems! Glad I came across this...it turned out to be the battery cables. My truck was on the showroom floor and apparently they disconnect the battery cables so little kids don't honk the horn. When they put it back on, they just put negative back over the terminal but did not tighten it. So every now and then, the power would reset.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #32
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
DO NOT REPLACE FUSES WITH ONES OF HIGHER AMPERAGE!! Engineers dont put 7.5A fuse in for fun. Get a wiring diagram and find the short to ground in that curcuit. Put a fog lamp bulb in place of the fuse and start disconnecting connectors in that circut. When the bulb goes out you now know what branch of the circuit has the short.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #33
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I would say that if your overhead light had a broken spring as you mentioned, then perhaps the best course of action here is to replace the overhead light assembly? I mean seriously? You have an overhead light that you have said has a broken part in the switch that actually CONTROLS the electricity, and you keep blowing fuses and wonder what to do? I am usually one of the last people to say something bad, but DUH?

At a bare minimum, if you want your clock and don't care so much about your map light, pull the light down and unplug the connector. Then put the correct sized fuse in it and go from there.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #34

No shit Sherlock.......I found the broken tab after I blew a few fuses....not the other way around
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No shit Sherlock.......I found the broken tab after I blew a few fuses....not the other way around
LOL, anyway, did you ever figure out what the actual problem was?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #36

Nope I gave up on it......I'm getting used to it haha I use my phone for my clock and my lights.....I wish I could figure it out man it was just all of the sudden it went out nothing happened I didn't hit a bump or anything....it's strange I wish I knew someone who had a spare upper console I would buy it and try it but for some reason I don't think the problem is in the console.....I fixed the broken tab with some super glue and it was plastic not metal which shouldn't cause a short
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #37
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope I gave up on it......I'm getting used to it haha I use my phone for my clock and my lights.....I wish I could figure it out man it was just all of the sudden it went out nothing happened I didn't hit a bump or anything....it's strange I wish I knew someone who had a spare upper console I would buy it and try it but for some reason I don't think the problem is in the console.....I fixed the broken tab with some super glue and it was plastic not metal which shouldn't cause a short
That sucks. I saw you said you have led's in the dome and map lights? Did you try putting in the stock bulbs, just for shits and giggles?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I realize that much. However even with that in mind, you obviously have a short somewhere, and with the light having such an issue, logic dictates replace it. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #39

Ok so I just figured it out! I ripped out the overhead console and all looked good so I went to trial and error and after about 5 fuses I narrowed it down to the damn bulb! It was the passenger side led bulb! As soon as I clicked the passenger side on it would blow the fuse however when I placed the drivers side bulb into the passenger side the light worked fine.....so it's not the console or the interior switch or wiring.....it was the bulb the whole time. Now don't ask me how the usb shorted itself out but it did so now I just have the drivers side light and dome for now and the clock works again ill just need to get a new bulb for the passenger map! Woohoo
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #40

USB should be bulb....sorry