Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Anyone Have These DVM Leads For Loading A Circuit?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone Have These DVM Leads For Loading A Circuit?

I've never seen these before, but the load featue can save quite a bit of time looking for corroded connectors etc.

I'm think I'm gonna order a set this week. It's also a must have for a mechanic IMHO.

http://www.esitest.com/180.html

A Toyota Tech tries them out for the first time here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLtlXBcRpOg
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Looks like a poor mans Megger to me, albeit backwards. I didn't watch the whole video though. Reading the webpage though, I'd be concerned that it could draw too much of a load and damage a circuit. I wouldn't use it- especially in todays cars with computer controlled everything.

"Glideslope is coming into view....."
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Reading the webpage though, I'd be concerned that it could draw too much of a load and damage a circuit. .

Yeah, the only thing I'm concerned about is how much of a load it tests at.... Milliamps, .5A, 1A?

I can't find it anywhere.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #4

Reading further, it says the tests should be done on wiring only, isolate all other components... which makes sense anyway.

So the load shouldn't harm the wiring no matter what the DVM loads it at.

That Sullivan guy has some useful videos on YT for laymen like myself.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I'd just stick with the proven megger. It just pretty much the same thing with much lower current.