Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Need locker help

Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
MarkM is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
Need locker help

I just purchased a 2013 SR5 DCSB 4x4. After doing some research I am kicking myself for not spending the extra bucks for the OR version with the locker. Can anybody give me advice on adding an aftermarket locker. I plan to off road maybe once a month on the good months, and most of our parks in Indiana are either wooded hills and one spot has peat gravel dunes. I am wondering if a locker would be a worthwhile investment, or if I should just try and run with the LSD and see if I can manage. I understand the ARB locker would need an air compressor and I am guessing it would be a pretty pricey mod to purchase the parts then have all the gear professionally installed. If anyone has any experience in this area your input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
I just purchased a 2013 SR5 DCSB 4x4. After doing some research I am kicking myself for not spending the extra bucks for the OR version with the locker. Can anybody give me advice on adding an aftermarket locker. I plan to off road maybe once a month on the good months, and most of our parks in Indiana are either wooded hills and one spot has peat gravel dunes. I am wondering if a locker would be a worthwhile investment, or if I should just try and run with the LSD and see if I can manage. I understand the ARB locker would need an air compressor and I am guessing it would be a pretty pricey mod to purchase the parts then have all the gear professionally installed. If anyone has any experience in this area your input would be greatly appreciated!

The ARB is probably the most popular locker. If you are going to drop the dime on one, you might as well do front and rear and gear it as well. Large sum of money up front, $3.5k ball park, but defenately worth it IMO. I regret not getting the front locked when I regeared....
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I never had a problem without a locker.
What tires are you running?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
The ARB is probably the most popular locker. If you are going to drop the dime on one, you might as well do front and rear and gear it as well. Large sum of money up front, $3.5k ball park, but defenately worth it IMO. I regret not getting the front locked when I regeared....
Would I have to re gear if I did both lockers? And what kind of shop would do that kind of work. We do not have too many after market off road shops in Indiana, besides 4wheelparts, and those guys are jackasses!! Also is that $3.5 quote for both front and rear installed with the air compressor?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I never had a problem without a locker.
What tires are you running?
I have Duratracs the truck does well in the snow, just not sure when I actually get down with her, if I will wish I had the locker.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Would I have to re gear if I did both lockers? And what kind of shop would do that kind of work. We do not have too many after market off road shops in Indiana, besides 4wheelparts, and those guys are jackasses!! Also is that $3.5 quote for both front and rear installed with the air compressor?
No you don't have to regear with the lockers.
It would be good to decide if you want to regear before you got lockers.

Quote:
I have Duratracs the truck does well in the snow, just not sure when I actually get down with her, if I will wish I had the locker.
What size? 285/75/16s you might want to regear for, anything less than that no. I'm running 255/85/16 (33.3") BFG KM2s on my 4Banger with stock gears & don't feel it's worth the money to regear. If I was going to get (a) locker(s) I would consider it. I've been through snow, mud & 3' of water without lockers & have never had traction problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

No, you don't have to regear...just a suggestion. Anyone who can swap a rear third and the front diff can do the work. You can order it all from ECGS, and ship your OEM stuff back for a core. You should be able to get it for that with the compressor, if not, you can get one for less than $300 and do the install yourself. It is extremely easy to do.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
I love your mom!

Post up in here. I am confident those guys could help you do the install, as well as give you a group to wheel with...
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
May want to try the yellow wire mod described here and see if it can get you through the trails in your area. It enables traction control in 4Lo: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post1039300

Effect here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AH1yIUp0A

Not the same degree of control as a locker, but costs $0.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^This
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
No you don't have to regear with the lockers.
It would be good to decide if you want to regear before you got lockers.

What size? 285/75/16s you might want to regear for, anything less than that no. I'm running 255/85/16 (33.3") BFG KM2s on my 4Banger with stock gears & don't feel it's worth the money to regear. If I was going to get (a) locker(s) I would consider it. I've been through snow, mud & 3' of water without lockers & have never had traction problems.
Running 255s also; feel as though I've got no power left.. City driving start/stop sucks and really have to play with the clutch when I'm wheeling. Yes, it's a 4 banger - but IMO long grades with 255s and stock gears is not fun as well. Hoping that 4.88s will somewhat mollify those issues.

Have an ARB'd 4.88 3rd sitting in my garage, trying to decide whether I want to lock the front as well... Like Slimwood, I know that I'll probably regret it if I don't.

OP if you end up regearing..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-complete.html
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
really have to play with the clutch when I'm wheeling. Yes, it's a 4 banger
I go 4Lo and start in 2nd & go from there unless I plan on high speed. That way I can go lower if I need to without stopping. Never had a problem with the clutch that way.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
If your not up for the wrenching, East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS) (http://eastcoastgearsupply.com) out of Raleigh NC will send you a complete third member with ARB installed and you ship back your third core.

Before installing my ARB I had never been into the rear diff of any vehicle other than to change oil, so with a bit of patience and a lot of reading and maybe a phone call or two, you too can get-er-done.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
07terry is on a distinguished road
Army:
07terry's Tacoma Gallery
can you straight wire the locker on a 88 4x4 TRD