Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

CONFUSED? DPST

Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
smurf taco has a spectacular aura aboutsmurf taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
smurf taco's Tacoma Gallery
CONFUSED? DPST

im gonna do the bed light mod and i bought a switch for it and im used to switches with 3 prongs on it but the switch i bought has 4 prongs and ive never worked with them before. ive been doing some searching about them and its a double pole single throw switch. if someone can help me figure out which prong goes to the battery and which one gets grounded and which one goes to the lights and so forth. also does it mean i can have 2 switches do the same thing? such as a switch in the bed and a switch in the cab maybe? thanks for helping
Attached Thumbnails
CONFUSED? DPST-img_1408.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
That is not a DPST unless it is a lighted switch. The switch should have a diagram on the side of came with a paper showing the connections.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Why does it look like everything on that switch is metal? If it is, I'd chuck it.

A switch doesn't care what the polarity is, all it does is close a circuit. That being said, I could pretty confidently say that the bar down the middle is seperating the sides of the switch. Dual pole means two sets of contactors, so as long as you put a wire on one side and the other directly across from that same terminal, you'll be fine. If you wire it wrong, that just means whatever you are controlling will remain on without effect from the switch, OR you won't be able to turn it on, you wont hurt anything unless you touch a positive wire to the chassis.

Also, aw113sgte, why do you say its not a DP? It has 2 sets of contactors.... only thing is it could be a DPDT, but I can't see the other side.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
I would verify with a continuity test.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Why does it look like everything on that switch is metal? If it is, I'd chuck it.

A switch doesn't care what the polarity is, all it does is close a circuit. That being said, I could pretty confidently say that the bar down the middle is seperating the sides of the switch. Dual pole means two sets of contactors, so as long as you put a wire on one side and the other directly across from that same terminal, you'll be fine. If you wire it wrong, that just means whatever you are controlling will remain on without effect from the switch, OR you won't be able to turn it on, you wont hurt anything unless you touch a positive wire to the chassis.

Also, aw113sgte, why do you say its not a DP? It has 2 sets of contactors.... only thing is it could be a DPDT, but I can't see the other side.
so i have to put one red wire (to the battery) and one red wire (to the lights) directly across from each other and then just ground a wire on a pole below one of the two?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
That's a DPST switch. A DPDT switch would have six prongs. It doesn't matter which side goes to the battery but you should keep it uniform and have the battery on either the top two or bottom two poles.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That's a DPST switch. A DPDT switch would have six prongs. It doesn't matter which side goes to the battery but you should keep it uniform and have the battery on either the top two or bottom two poles.
so i have to have 2 wires going to the battery? im so confused
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
It basically is two on off switches side by side. They are independent of each other.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery

A few combos you may use...
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf taco View Post
so i have to have 2 wires going to the battery? im so confused
Can't be explained any better than this. VVVV
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post

A few combos you may use...
+1
Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf taco View Post
well i wired exactly how it is on the first diagram and it wont turn on....idk where i went wrong
If you are wiring LED's then verify polarity. But use a commun bulb to ensure power is travelling from switch.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #16

since im the kind of person who doesnt sleep until the jobs done i finally got it all figured out and it looks awesome! thanks for everything guys really appreciate it
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Lurker No More

What was it? No pics of finished job?....
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Ben, good diagram to explain the possible combinations of a DPST switch. Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
What was it? No pics of finished job?....
it was simple. my ground from the lights came loose ill put pics on tonight when its dark
Old 01-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Lurker No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Ben, good diagram to explain the possible combinations of a DPST switch. Thanks for posting it.
MMM..look one post up from Ben's....