Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

help please, 2013 w/ 3" giving warning tone

Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
help please, 2013 w/ 3" giving warning tone

I have a friend with a brand new 2013 truck. This truck has a 3" lift, when you are going around turns or if you have to swerve for something in the road the truck will give off a faint tone. Sometimes louder than others. No VSC or traction control lights come on in the cluster. The faint tone is like the truck is wanting to give a warning of some sort but never really gets the response to give a warning.

My 05 has none of this electronic B/S so I'm a little lost on what is going on. Ideas?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...sc-answer.html
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it's just the tires squeeling

Did one of the ABS wires possibly get yanked during installation, causing the ECU to not get feedback like it should?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I wish it was a tire squeeling. This is an electronic tone that sounds like it is struggling to make the noise it wants to. No ABS wires were pulled during install.

Should also be noted the tires are 265/70/17 trail grapplers with dick cepek DC2 wheels. So there really is no "upsize in tire"
Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I have a friend with a brand new 2013 truck. This truck has a 3" lift, when you are going around turns or if you have to swerve for something in the road the truck will give off a faint tone. Sometimes louder than others. No VSC or traction control lights come on in the cluster. The faint tone is like the truck is wanting to give a warning of some sort but never really gets the response to give a warning.

My 05 has none of this electronic B/S so I'm a little lost on what is going on. Ideas?
My truck does the exact thing and nobody seemed to believe me when I posted about it

It sounds like it comes from under the front seat or driver's side dash , no ?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Yes. In this case it sounds like from behind portion between the radio and gauge cluster. It has a lot of people stumped.
My experience is that it is definitely related somehow to the VSC or traction control system .

I live on a small island and literally drive the same road a couple times a day , there are a few corners that are prone to kicking on the VSC / Traction control . It seems that if you are approaching the threshold at which the VSC will be engaged , but not quite at the threshold , this faint tone appears

Turn off VSC and drive through the exact same corners at the exact same speed , no tone
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 short bed did an electronic tone once while going down a gravel road. The tone sounded like the sound some elevators make when they stop at each floor (kinda like a tuning fork sound)... came from the dash around the radio. That was the first and last time i heard that sound in 5 1/2 years.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My truck does the exact thing and nobody seemed to believe me when I posted about it

It sounds like it comes from under the front seat or driver's side dash , no ?
You mean this? I remember you posting about a VSC issue and a re-flash a couple of years ago. I thought that cured it. Is this a different thing all together?

Frank
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
You mean this? I remember you posting about a VSC issue and a re-flash a couple of years ago. I thought that cured it. Is this a different thing all together?

Frank
Yes , that's it
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Jeff , has he taken it back to the dealership , and could the tech reproduce the tone ?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yes , that's it
Have you looked into the change in wheel size? Here are some "other" Toyota truck/SUV threads with the same issues (links below). One shows a possible fix for a Tundra, which may work on a Tacoma with a little research.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...grading-tires/

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...-trac-abs.html

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-still-issues/

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...w-vsc-abs.html

Frank
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the yaw sensor located on a Tacoma ?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
UBIQUE

Quote:
Where is the yaw sensor located on a Tacoma ?
help please, 2013 w/ 3" giving warning tone-vsc_all.jpg

Frank
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
Thanks Frank

Intrrestingly enough , it's exactly where it seems like the tone is coming from , at least in my case
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
UBIQUE

Quote:
Thanks Frank

Intrrestingly enough , it's exactly where it seems like the tone is coming from , at least in my case
No problem and best of luck. Hopefully the sensor is easy to get at, and not dug in like a tick.

Frank
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
East Bound and Down

Thanks for the links frank. We have even gone as far as adjusting the yaw sensor to give it the same angle as factory rake. I'll have to read those links when I have a little more time. The picture of the vsc buzzer seems to be exactly where the faint tone is coming from. It is so odd that it seems that it will not just give a solid tone, only a weak one.