1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear ended; frame bent

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Fox2011PM, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Fox2011PM

Fox2011PM [OP] "The Mountains are calling"

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4X4 TRD OR
    ADS 2.5" CO's w/adj, ADS 2.5" Rears w/ piggybacks, Firestone air bags and 1.5" AAL, SCS SR8s, Tom Woods custom one piece drive shaft....more to come
    Anyone know if my truck will be "totaled" if my frame has 2 creases on either side of my hitch? Got rear ended today, and it just plain sucks! My truck is my baby and I hate even one little scratch! I got hit while I was stopped at about 20 mph. There is really not a lot of noticeable damage, just bent my bumper and hitch down quite a bit a broke my pin connector. May have slightly tweaked the bed downward. But I noticed where the hitch connects to the frame 2 bad creases in the frame. Thoughts? Thanks guys

2. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    if your frame is bent even the slightest, it better be totaled. since it's under the hitch they might argue its not that bad, but a bent frame is a bent frame, its not safe. argue it if you have to. don't settle

3. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Don't accept the truck back under any condition. Even if you don't want to sell the truck you never know when you might have to. You won't be able to get much money for a truck with a bent frame. Make the insurace pay for the value of the truck without the bent frame. Lawyer up if you have to.

4. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Fox2011PM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4X4 TRD OR
    ADS 2.5" CO's w/adj, ADS 2.5" Rears w/ piggybacks, Firestone air bags and 1.5" AAL, SCS SR8s, Tom Woods custom one piece drive shaft....more to come
    It's a 2011 with only 30k miles. I owe $25k on it still. Does the damage estimate have to be more than what I owe for it to be totaled? Or does that not matter in the event of a bent frame?

5. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    If frame is bent, it will be totaled. Otherwise damage estimate has to be more than what truck is worth for it to be totaled (if the frame was NOT bent)

6. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Like the guys above me have said, bent frame... no bueno. Get as much money as you can from insurance (fight if you have to) tell her you love her, and then look for a new one.

7. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Insurance companies usually do not do a total loss if the damage does not exceed a certain pecentage of what they determine to be the value. Usually 50% but some do 60% of value before doing a total loss. They can now repair bent frames to some extent, it just depends if you are willing to accept it.

8. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Hope you have gap insurance

9. Jan 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    EDJY

EDJY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
  10. Jan 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    Fox2011PM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4X4 TRD OR
    EDJY, dude don't bust my balls with the "worthless" thing. The 5 other guys ahead of you gave good, helpful advice based on my description and didn't need "pics" to help a guy out. Besides, I'm not selling anything so I don't need "pics". Thanks for your "worthless" advice.

11. Jan 10, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The majority of insurance companies today are at 70% of value. (I have had a lot of dealings with insurance companies at my shop) Some are higher, few are lower. When it comes to bent frames, that does not mean that it is instantly totaled. There are a lot of good frame machines out there that do good work, and replacement frames are in many cases less than the 70% mark. Aftermarket parts and custom work are usually not included unless you contacted your insurance company to have them added as a rider. Some insurance companies however do include some of this. It really all depends on the insurance company. I would say seeing a pic would be helpful in many cases to try and give you a more accurate response because seeing the frame damage in a photo is a lot easier to determine the extent of damage rather than trying to discern from just what you have type in. Like the saying goes, a picture is better than a thousand words. Nobody can give an accurate response to your specific vehicle without seeing it. That being said, as I mentioned, depending on the extent of the bend, and the location, many frames can be straightened. This is done all the time with no loss of structural integrity. Again it all depends on location and extent of damage. Good luck to you.

12. Jan 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    Fox2011PM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4X4 TRD OR
    Thanks for all the input. Still fighting, not looking good for me though. My truck is too valuable for the amount of repairs so probably not totaled. Don't get it, frame bent should trump that.

13. Jan 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    maybe try and get a reputable body shop in your area to write you a letter stating that frame repair is unsafe and blah blah?

or something along those lines.

if you ever go to sell the truck you wont get jack for it so you pretty much need it to be totaled

14. Jan 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I wouldn't see a reputable shop cutting their own throat by saying a frame repair is unsafe. They do frame repairs all the time. It would be bad for business.

15. Jan 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM
    illmatyk

illmatyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yigo,Guam
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    I'd say get a quote for frame replacement and tell them you want that done since the frame is bent.

16. Jan 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I would go to the dealer and get a repair estimate, this type of damage is almost always repairable. What isn't repairable on these trucks is when the spring mount is damaged.

17. Jan 13, 2013 at 3:27 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
  18. Jan 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Ever get some pics?

19. Jan 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Fox2011PM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4X4 TRD OR
    I did get some pics, about 100! I'll upload them shortly. The fact is repairable or not, it's "frame damage" and it's now a scarlet letter on this truck. It will follow this truck for the rest of its life, every carfax that's ever pulled on it if I decide to sell it will show that and that is all that someone will see. It's tainted, bottom line. We all know the fallout of a bent frame. What other problems internally did it cause that we can't see? It already has trouble starting and it blew white smoke this morning when I started it. So there are already other problems brewing. Hey look, I'm not trying to get something for free, but someone came into my backyard, uninvited and took a deuce and I'm having to clean it up and deal with the problems associated with it. The truck will never be the same to me period. I babied this truck kept all service records and drove defensively. It's not just a "truck" to me, it's a symbol of my hard work and ability to afford something safe, reliable and high resale value (key words) to drive my family around and take vacations in. Now I'm paying the price for someone else's mistake and lack of awareness. I don't care if God himself laid his hand on it, it will never be the same in my mind. Thanks guys for the advice and support, I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.

20. Jan 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Like I said man, talk to a lawyer.
    It will be worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top