Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rear ended; frame bent

Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Fox2011PM is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Fox2011PM's Tacoma Gallery
Rear ended; frame bent

Anyone know if my truck will be "totaled" if my frame has 2 creases on either side of my hitch? Got rear ended today, and it just plain sucks! My truck is my baby and I hate even one little scratch! I got hit while I was stopped at about 20 mph. There is really not a lot of noticeable damage, just bent my bumper and hitch down quite a bit a broke my pin connector. May have slightly tweaked the bed downward. But I noticed where the hitch connects to the frame 2 bad creases in the frame. Thoughts? Thanks guys
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
if your frame is bent even the slightest, it better be totaled. since it's under the hitch they might argue its not that bad, but a bent frame is a bent frame, its not safe. argue it if you have to. don't settle
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Don't accept the truck back under any condition. Even if you don't want to sell the truck you never know when you might have to. You won't be able to get much money for a truck with a bent frame. Make the insurace pay for the value of the truck without the bent frame. Lawyer up if you have to.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Firefighter:
It's a 2011 with only 30k miles. I owe $25k on it still. Does the damage estimate have to be more than what I owe for it to be totaled? Or does that not matter in the event of a bent frame?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
If frame is bent, it will be totaled. Otherwise damage estimate has to be more than what truck is worth for it to be totaled (if the frame was NOT bent)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Like the guys above me have said, bent frame... no bueno. Get as much money as you can from insurance (fight if you have to) tell her you love her, and then look for a new one.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance companies usually do not do a total loss if the damage does not exceed a certain pecentage of what they determine to be the value. Usually 50% but some do 60% of value before doing a total loss. They can now repair bent frames to some extent, it just depends if you are willing to accept it.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Hope you have gap insurance
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
Firefighter:
EDJY, dude don't bust my balls with the "worthless" thing. The 5 other guys ahead of you gave good, helpful advice based on my description and didn't need "pics" to help a guy out. Besides, I'm not selling anything so I don't need "pics". Thanks for your "worthless" advice.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The majority of insurance companies today are at 70% of value. (I have had a lot of dealings with insurance companies at my shop) Some are higher, few are lower. When it comes to bent frames, that does not mean that it is instantly totaled. There are a lot of good frame machines out there that do good work, and replacement frames are in many cases less than the 70% mark. Aftermarket parts and custom work are usually not included unless you contacted your insurance company to have them added as a rider. Some insurance companies however do include some of this. It really all depends on the insurance company. I would say seeing a pic would be helpful in many cases to try and give you a more accurate response because seeing the frame damage in a photo is a lot easier to determine the extent of damage rather than trying to discern from just what you have type in. Like the saying goes, a picture is better than a thousand words. Nobody can give an accurate response to your specific vehicle without seeing it. That being said, as I mentioned, depending on the extent of the bend, and the location, many frames can be straightened. This is done all the time with no loss of structural integrity. Again it all depends on location and extent of damage. Good luck to you.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Firefighter:
Thanks for all the input. Still fighting, not looking good for me though. My truck is too valuable for the amount of repairs so probably not totaled. Don't get it, frame bent should trump that.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2011PM View Post
Thanks for all the input. Still fighting, not looking good for me though. My truck is too valuable for the amount of repairs so probably not totaled. Don't get it, frame bent should trump that.
maybe try and get a reputable body shop in your area to write you a letter stating that frame repair is unsafe and blah blah?

or something along those lines.

if you ever go to sell the truck you wont get jack for it so you pretty much need it to be totaled
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
maybe try and get a reputable body shop in your area to write you a letter stating that frame repair is unsafe and blah blah?

or something along those lines.

if you ever go to sell the truck you wont get jack for it so you pretty much need it to be totaled
I wouldn't see a reputable shop cutting their own throat by saying a frame repair is unsafe. They do frame repairs all the time. It would be bad for business.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
illmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of lightillmatyk is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Matt
illmatyk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2011PM View Post
I'd say get a quote for frame replacement and tell them you want that done since the frame is bent.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #16
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I would go to the dealer and get a repair estimate, this type of damage is almost always repairable. What isn't repairable on these trucks is when the spring mount is damaged.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
sucks..
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Firefighter:
I did get some pics, about 100! I'll upload them shortly. The fact is repairable or not, it's "frame damage" and it's now a scarlet letter on this truck. It will follow this truck for the rest of its life, every carfax that's ever pulled on it if I decide to sell it will show that and that is all that someone will see. It's tainted, bottom line. We all know the fallout of a bent frame. What other problems internally did it cause that we can't see? It already has trouble starting and it blew white smoke this morning when I started it. So there are already other problems brewing. Hey look, I'm not trying to get something for free, but someone came into my backyard, uninvited and took a deuce and I'm having to clean it up and deal with the problems associated with it. The truck will never be the same to me period. I babied this truck kept all service records and drove defensively. It's not just a "truck" to me, it's a symbol of my hard work and ability to afford something safe, reliable and high resale value (key words) to drive my family around and take vacations in. Now I'm paying the price for someone else's mistake and lack of awareness. I don't care if God himself laid his hand on it, it will never be the same in my mind. Thanks guys for the advice and support, I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.