Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

HELP: Check Engine Light

Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
bplppl is on a distinguished road
bplppl's Tacoma Gallery
HELP: Check Engine Light

For some reason today my check engine light came on. we've had a couple inches of rain and it came on right after driving through a puddle. I wasnt going extremely fast and the water wasnt even high enough to reach the rim on my tires. Its a 2000 tacoma V6 SR5. Any ideas why this happened?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
What are the codes?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
bplppl's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a code reader. I didnt think going through a puddle could cause this but..... Weirder things have happend to me.
I am hoping something got wet that shoulnt have and the problem is not perminant and the light goes away when it dries.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
You can go to Autozone and have the code read for you.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
First time I had a check engine light was when it was raining. Code turns out to be cylinder misfire code. Dielectric grease to the boots and code was gone. Find out what your code is.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
bplppl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, getting it checked on the way home and i will post the code when i get it (if they cant tell me what it means).
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
They should be able to tell you what the codes mean. I guess the misfire code is common when raining, at least from what I saw when I searched.
P0304 = Cyl 4 misfire. Last number indicate which cylinder.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
bplppl's Tacoma Gallery
Below is what the print out from autozone said.
"Troubleshooting P0420
Catalyst system efficiency below threshold - bank 1
Probable cause
- Air leak in exhaust before rear HO2S (Heated oxygen sensor) Bank 1
- AF sensor error
- Fuel system fault
- Faulty catalytic converter"

So maybe water got in the HO2 sensor. That's what I'm hoping.
I have never needed to use the code reader so i gues my next steps are to check each thing listed? Will the check engine light automatically go off when i find and fix the problem?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Passing through water probably caused some to get into a connector. Look at the oxygen sensors and pull the connectors. See if there is any water on the inside. If every one of them is dry then you may need a scan tool to look at data, or take it to a shop that can look at it. If you fix the problem you will still need to clear the code yourself. You can either do the common "disconnect the battery" method, but if you are like me, and hate having to reset the clock and radio presets, then you could take it back to autozone and ask them to clear the code for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
bplppl's Tacoma Gallery
I read from another forum thread with a similar issue to dissconect the batt and if it is still a problem the CEL will come back on. It hasnt for about 30 miles (2 days) and everything is drying up around here so I think water was the cause. I am still going to double check all my sensors this weekend when I change the oil and seafoam.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Shaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shaun
Shaunsquatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
You can either do the common "disconnect the battery" method, but if you are like me, and hate having to reset the clock and radio presets, then you could take it back to autozone and ask them to clear the code for you.

My local autoznes will no longer clear codes. I was told they didn't want the liability. (although if I talk to the right guy he will do it usually)