Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4LO-Trac & ABS Kill Switch - Why/Why Not?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #181
F*ck It, Why Not!
armyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st ABN
Name: Chip
armyofsquirrels's Tacoma Gallery
Comparing the wire colors to yours it *looks* like they could be the same wire.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #182
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyofsquirrels View Post

That's the plug there is a small green wire in the bundle however is there anyway besides cutting it to make sure it's the same wire I hate hacking into the wiring harnesses without being certain that is the correct wire.
I would remove the terminal from the plug itself. Once removed, start the truck to see if the ABS light and TRAC Off light stay lit up. If they do, it worked so snip away and install the switch.

Taco'09 posted some good tips on how to do remove the terminal just a few posts back. I just used a tiny flathead and some curse words
Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #183
F*ck It, Why Not!
armyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st ABN
Name: Chip
armyofsquirrels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco'09 View Post
^^ Uh, yea, they are tricky.

Let's try to improve the odds here a bit. Recognize of course that I have done it a bunch and have also messed up a bunch. This is not fool proof.

1. Get a tiny jeweler's screwdriver. Sometimes a large needle will work. Get a magnifying glass.

2. Undo the 1st lock. It is the bar that crosses sideways across the top of the connector. Lift both sides of the bar up equally about 1mm. Don't force it more.

3. Look at the face of the connector. Notice that there are 2 openings for every terminal: a larger one and a smaller one. You will work in the larger. Hold the connector so that all the smaller openings lie above the larger.

4. Make sure the wire has no tension where it enters the connector on the back side. Otherwise it will bind and you will not get the terminal out.

5. Take your magnifying glass and look in the large opening. See the bottom of the terminal? Note the plastic lock (a tab) just below and touching the bottom of the terminal.

6. Release the 2nd lock. Take your tiny screwdriver and place it at the absolute bottom of the terminal (beneath) where it touches that plastic lock piece. While pushing in parallel to the lock but not too hard, rotate the screwdriver in your hand upward so it pushes the lock downward. Think a lever action here. While the lock is pushed downward, try to gently pull the wire out from the opposite side. It should not require very much pull at all.

7. Know when to quit. If you have to work at it for a while you will begin to damage the connector -- especially the 2nd lock -- and the terminal won't come out. Make sure that you can always reconnect it and know when to quit. Otherwise you may have to replace the connector.

Good luck.
Yea not sure I have the patience for all that. I'll post back my results when I get enough time to relax and fool around with my truck. Doesn't sound like something you want to rush.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #184
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, what are your experiences with the YWM in snow? I did the YWM yesterday and took it out to try in the snow. Four different times I tried starting in VERY limited traction situations and it did NOT get me out. Two times in 8-10" all 4 just dug myself deeper, then had to shovel my way out. Then twice on hard snow packed/icy hills. I would stop in the middle of the hill try to start from a stop. I would either just sit and spin or wheels would spin while I would slide backwards.

I am pretty sure that I did the YWM correctly. When I was stuck in deep snow, the 4Lo light would blink, and I would watch the left rear tire spin, then stop and I could hear the right rear spin and it would go back and forth.

Now, I am assuming my BFG AT's with 4/32's tread left didn't help the situation. I am long overdue for new tires. But that is a subject for another thread. :-)

So, two questions:
1. What are your experiences in snow, either deep or hard packed?
2. I am assuming I did it correct (I have limited mechanical experience)? Since in 4lo I saw the tire spin alternating from side to side. In the past, while I was in 4lo the tires would just spin.

Just for the record. Disconnected battery. Pulled out first white clip of wires. I cut the second yellow wire (with the thin black line), and installed a switch that I attached to the inside of the glove box. My truck is 5+ years old and paid off so I am not worried about dealer and warranty. When I switch it off, the 4lo goes solid and tire just spins.

Just letting you know, this post might look familiar, I posted in this another "trac" thread. Not sure which one would be the best.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #185
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaare View Post
Just curious, what are your experiences with the YWM in snow? I did the YWM yesterday and took it out to try in the snow. Four different times I tried starting in VERY limited traction situations and it did NOT get me out. Two times in 8-10" all 4 just dug myself deeper, then had to shovel my way out. Then twice on hard snow packed/icy hills. I would stop in the middle of the hill try to start from a stop. I would either just sit and spin or wheels would spin while I would slide backwards.

I am pretty sure that I did the YWM correctly. When I was stuck in deep snow, the 4Lo light would blink, and I would watch the left rear tire spin, then stop and I could hear the right rear spin and it would go back and forth.

Now, I am assuming my BFG AT's with 4/32's tread left didn't help the situation. I am long overdue for new tires. But that is a subject for another thread. :-)

So, two questions:
1. What are your experiences in snow, either deep or hard packed?
2. I am assuming I did it correct (I have limited mechanical experience)? Since in 4lo I saw the tire spin alternating from side to side. In the past, while I was in 4lo the tires would just spin.

Just for the record. Disconnected battery. Pulled out first white clip of wires. I cut the second yellow wire (with the thin black line), and installed a switch that I attached to the inside of the glove box. My truck is 5+ years old and paid off so I am not worried about dealer and warranty. When I switch it off, the 4lo goes solid and tire just spins.

Just letting you know, this post might look familiar, I posted in this another "trac" thread. Not sure which one would be the best.
It sounds like you did the mod correctly. I'm guessing the alternating between tires was the TRAC system trying to find a wheel that had traction, in your case no tire.

This doesn't magically turn your open diffs into locked diffs. If you're not getting any traction to any tire, then it won't help much at all, since it is trying to transfer the power to the tire(s) that aren't slipping while using the ABS to apply the brakes to the "slipping" tires.

I haven't been snow wheeling yet this year, but I went though some nasty heavy wet snow last year, and I didn't notice the YWM helping that much. I mainly relied on the ABS kill to stop the throttle-cutoff and plowed through it at a very slow rate.

My advice for driving in deep snow (packed or powder) is to use better tires and air down to single digits to help with flotation.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #186
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD offroad with both TRAC and A-TRAC and neither system will even try if my wheel speed is too high. I'd guess around 10+ or 15 mph. It will just flash the wheel spin light at me and let me 1 tire fire all day long. I imagine it is worried about damaging the axles or gears when it starts to apply the brakes at higher wheel speeds. Both systems are designed for small differences in wheel speed between the tires.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #187
DirtyD is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
DirtyD's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone hook up a switch when they did the YWM??
Old 02-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #188
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I did not because I wanted the wiring to look factory...I cut the wire and tucked it back up into the factory bundle...you cant even tell that I made the modification...if I wanted to go back to stock I just remove the electrical tape and splice.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #189
DirtyD's Tacoma Gallery
Roger. That's what I was planning on doin, was just curious if anyone wired a switch like ABS/VSC kill switch mod. Do you think a switch is necessary by any means?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #190
DirtyD's Tacoma Gallery
Did the ABS/VSC kill switch mod today. Works great! Contemplating whether to go out (while it's snowing) and do the YWM or not.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #191
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyofsquirrels View Post
Yea not sure I have the patience for all that. I'll post back my results when I get enough time to relax and fool around with my truck. Doesn't sound like something you want to rush.

You can always cut the yellow wire and add a male and female connector on either end, then just tape them up. If you need to put it together, just plug it in, no big deal.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #192
DirtyD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah for sure Exactly what I was thinking. Gonna go do the YWM right now!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #193
DirtyD's Tacoma Gallery
Was gonna ask for help again.... Had my 4 wheel drive light and 4lo light blinking and my truck wouldnt start.... Had a buddy come over mid tear down forgot to plug the damn thing in ....Now leaving to go try it(YWM) out in the snow!
Old 02-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #194
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 trd sport with 4x4 which ABS kill switch thread do I follow>?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #195
Navar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Navar's Tacoma Gallery
How do these mods work for a 2007 trd 4x4?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #196
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
I have a 2010 trd 4x4 off road and this is the one that worked for me. If your abs ecu has the yellow stripe wire in the right pin on the wire harness I think you should be all set to use this thread. The write up is for a 2005 w/atrac.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...writeup-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar View Post
Check out the thread link above. It worked for my 2010 trd 4x4 and the write up is for a 2005 so you should be covered.

There are many versions of this mod. If I were to do it again, I would trace the wire from the ABS ECU harness by the master cylinder, back through the driver's side firewall plug and tap into it there. That way your splice is sealed from the weather.

I took the easy route and spliced it 4 inches from the harness and ran my wires through the firewall plug to my switch. I have not had any issues with corrosion, but at some point I am going to solder the splice and wrap it up tight for extra protection.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #197
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I have a 2010 trd 4x4 off road and this is the one that worked for me. If your abs ecu has the yellow stripe wire in the right pin on the wire harness I think you should be all set to use this thread. The write up is for a 2005 w/atrac.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...writeup-2.html
I dont have Atrac or the offroad package I havnt been able to duplicate this mod.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #198
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
In that case you will have to do the mod where you go behind the glove box to the abs wiring harnesses there. It will disable abs and vsc. I have seen some write ups about it, but I don't have links to them. There are about 35 different configurations between which package/year you have for the 2005+. I would check out a couple different write ups about the abs disable from the glove box and yours should be very similar but possibly not exact.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #199
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Somehow I missed this post. There are a few guys that wired up switches, even an ATRAC switch to make it legit

Start here:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post7948733

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
There was a guy (slcnbldr) that did (this) ABS Kill on his 2012 TRD Sport 4x4, just check your wiring harness to see if it has the same color wires.:
>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcnbldr View Post
Ok so I did the ABS Kill switch mod and it works perfect for my problem. ABS was kicking in while driving on mountain or hill winding roads but no problem in town. I test drove it after on a few areas just outside of town that have given me problems and they don't anymore. My primary reason for doing this was to not have the ABS engage while in the mountains fishing so the rest of the time I can just leave it alone. Thanks for the mod BensonX.
<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar View Post
I would suggest pulling the harness as pictured in the OP to see what wires you have. If you have a Light Green wire as I did, you should be able to just add a SPST switch.

If it's Blue w/ a Yellow trace, you might look at CROM's write-up: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-way-pics.html

You may also want to check out btnewman's write-up. He has an '07 Sport w/o VSC:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-mod-pics.html

Good Luck and post up/PM with any other questions. Worst case scenario: you'd have to re-solder a wire and/or replace a fuse.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #200
DirtyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Somehow I missed this post. There are a few guys that wired up switches, even an ATRAC switch to make it legit

Start here:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post7948733

Thanks for the reply, I just said screw it and saved myself sometime by not wiring up a switch I really didn't need. This mod works great by the way....

Thanks, Dirrty