Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4LO-Trac & ABS Kill Switch - Why/Why Not?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #61
Hog
HogBalls is on a distinguished road

Name: Shane
HogBalls's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
I agree, I only use ABS if it's bone-dry outside.
Yeah for sure. I've driven in the snow for years. I don't need a computer to tell me how to stop lol. Kinda funny though back on the VSC topic. I have a buddy that has the TRD sport 2011 and he has the same lift I do and I asked himif he had the same problem after the lift and he said no that it was doing it to him before he lifted it and after the lift it stopped doing it.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #62
Hog

So I thought I would give everyone an update on the VSC coming on. Well I think my truck got smarter and the VSC stopped coming on on corners that it was before. So I think the computer adjusted it. I still installed the switch to turn off the VSC and ABS. I did it just like Benson X did except I just used a different switch and located it in the same spot. Works great. Thanks for the great write up and instructions Benson!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #63
Taco2050 is on a distinguished road
Taco2050's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think this will work with a 2013 tacoma sport package 4x4?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #64
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco2050 View Post
Do you think this will work with a 2013 tacoma sport package 4x4?
I think it all depends with the wiring set up. Take the cover off and see if you have the light green wire. If it does i think you are good to go.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #66
Taco2050 is on a distinguished road
Taco2050's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks I was just looking into doing the yellow wire mod, I checked and the wiring under my glove box looks the same as the photo. So I need to do it and I'll give feed back on it. Thank you very much
Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #67
eaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud ofeaglesfn5402 has much to be proud of

Army: SPC
Name: Cory
eaglesfn5402's Tacoma Gallery
A little late to the party, will the Yellow Wire Mod work on a 2013 TRD Sport? If it will what gauge wire will I need if I chose to put an on/off switch in?

Edit: I read above and got my answer that it will work on a 2013 TRD sport now just to figure out what gauge the wire is.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #68
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn5402 View Post
A little late to the party, will the Yellow Wire Mod work on a 2013 TRD Sport? If it will what gauge wire will I need if I chose to put an on/off switch in?

Edit: I read above and got my answer that it will work on a 2013 TRD sport now just to figure out what gauge the wire is.
I didn't do the yellow wire Mod so I think Benson would have to answer that for you. I think he just pulled the wire and covered it. He didn't put a switch. As far as being able to do it on the 2013 I would just take the cover off and see if you have the same yellow wire as pictured in previous post. I would use the same gauge wire that the yellow wire is.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #69
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogBalls View Post
I didn't do the yellow wire Mod so I think Benson would have to answer that for you. I think he just pulled the wire and covered it. He didn't put a switch. As far as being able to do it on the 2013 I would just take the cover off and see if you have the same yellow wire as pictured in previous post. I would use the same gauge wire that the yellow wire is.
Oops, didn't see that it was edited. Glad you got your answer.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #71
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #72
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I went and got the switch for the ABS mod, and am hoping to have time this weekend to do these mods,

I hate I have a 2012 with the difficult seat belt reminder, the dealer was nice enough to disable my reminder ding for my seat belt, I am hoping they will do it again, Lol...

Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #73
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
I went and got the switch for the ABS mod, and am hoping to have time this weekend to do these mods,

I hate I have a 2012 with the difficult seat belt reminder, the dealer was nice enough to disable my reminder ding for my seat belt, I am hoping they will do it again, Lol...

If not, you can try one of these methods:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6521251

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ethod-diy.html
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #74
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I may have to try the connector serial reader way, the RC bench seat trucks have huge plastic sleeves over the webbing of the buckle, darn near makes it impossible to get the buckle even out of it enough to find a hole to release the plastics inside,

Thanks for the links!

I have buckets now, I'm going to try getting to and removing the spring that keeps the switch elevated,
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #75
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
For those with older tacomas (2006) thinking about trying this, it will not work on our trucks.

Try this one instead:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-mod-pics.html
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #76
Dizo is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
Dizo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
For those with older tacomas (2006) thinking about trying this, it will not work on our trucks.

Try this one instead:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-mod-pics.html
Link Broken, try using http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-mod-pics.html
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #77
TacomaSportLB is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st Cavalry Division, Ft. Hood, TX
Name: Dad
TacomaSportLB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogBalls View Post
So I thought I would give everyone an update on the VSC coming on. Well I think my truck got smarter and the VSC stopped coming on on corners that it was before. So I think the computer adjusted it. I still installed the switch to turn off the VSC and ABS. I did it just like Benson X did except I just used a different switch and located it in the same spot. Works great. Thanks for the great write up and instructions Benson!

Mine seems to have self adjusted as well over time, now I find myself trying to get it too come on thru turns it would come on before.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #78
slcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant futureslcnbldr has a brilliant future

Name: Anthony
slcnbldr's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so I did the ABS Kill switch mod and it works perfect for my problem. ABS was kicking in while driving on mountain or hill winding roads but no problem in town. I test drove it after on a few areas just outside of town that have given me problems and they don't anymore. My primary reason for doing this was to not have the ABS engage while in the mountains fishing so the rest of the time I can just leave it alone. Thanks for the mod BensonX.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #79
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
Finally did yellow wire mod today. Couldn't get the wire out of the harness clean like Benson so I just cut it. 4x4 in 4lo blinked but not beep so it seems everything is working fine. Won't be able to test it out till next weekend though. Thanks for the write up.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #80
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the mod on a single pole switch,

While testing I noticed the 4WD Lo doesn't flash, but the ABS and Trac control indicators turn off like in 4WD Hi, if I close the circuit like normal, the ABS and Trac control indicators are lit like normal when in 4WD Lo,

Not sure if this is a 2013 thing...

Anyone care to confirm....

I have a vid I can link up in a minute...