Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4LO-Trac & ABS Kill Switch - Why/Why Not?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #81
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
I just did the mod on a single pole switch,

While testing I noticed the 4WD Lo doesn't flash, but the ABS and Trac control indicators turn off like in 4WD Hi, if I close the circuit like normal, the ABS and Trac control indicators are lit like normal when in 4WD Lo,

Not sure if this is a 2013 thing...

Anyone care to confirm....

I have a vid I can link up in a minute...
Did you only do the ABS Kill Switch, or both mods?

• ABS Kill Switch will disable ABS & Traction control no matter what mode you're in.
  • Yellow Wire Mod (YWM) will enable TRAC (traction control) while in 4LO, as long as you don't have ABS disabled at the same time (otherwise it cancels out the traction control). With the YWM, the 4LO light will blink when engaged, but it will still function as expected, and you can hear it engage.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #82
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Did you only do the ABS Kill Switch, or both mods?

• ABS Kill Switch will disable ABS & Traction control no matter what mode you're in.
  • Yellow Wire Mod (YWM) will enable TRAC (traction control) while in 4LO, as long as you don't have ABS disabled at the same time (otherwise it cancels out the traction control). With the YWM, the 4LO light will blink when engaged, but it will still function as expected, and you can hear it engage.
Just the YWM, but I have no blinking 4LO when engaged, it stays lit, hmmm

I think maybe it's an Automatic RC thing, lol...
Old 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #83
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a doofus!

Just checked it and it's working like described! Lol...

Sorry for the confusion!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #85
Yotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant future

Name: Ze
Yotamac's Tacoma Gallery
Will the green wire mod work for trucks without Atrac, VSA, Locker or LSD?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #86
Dizo is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
Dizo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotamac View Post
Will the green wire mod work for trucks without Atrac, VSA, Locker or LSD?
An LSD won't affect it, and it works great on the old TRD's.
Snip away.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #87
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #89
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
So I've got an '06 TRD Sport but it doesn't have VCS, I'm not worried about the traction control side sense I obviously don't have it but I wanna know before I go cutting wires that affect my brakes.. Will the ABS switch still work the same way? I could attempt the wiring diagrams myself but I'm just not good enough at readin em to trust what I'd figure out so I figured I'd ask y'all who know better
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #90
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
So I've got an '06 TRD Sport but it doesn't have VCS, I'm not worried about the traction control side sense I obviously don't have it but I wanna know before I go cutting wires that affect my brakes.. Will the ABS switch still work the same way? I could attempt the wiring diagrams myself but I'm just not good enough at readin em to trust what I'd figure out so I figured I'd ask y'all who know better
I would suggest pulling the harness as pictured in the OP to see what wires you have. If you have a Light Green wire as I did, you should be able to just add a SPST switch.

If it's Blue w/ a Yellow trace, you might look at CROM's write-up: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-way-pics.html

You may also want to check out btnewman's write-up. He has an '07 Sport w/o VSC:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-mod-pics.html

Good Luck and post up/PM with any other questions. Worst case scenario: you'd have to re-solder a wire and/or replace a fuse.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #91
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link! Pretty chilly outside right now and I spent 3+ hours today re-wiring my amp with no affect in the end so I don't really feel like lookin at anymore wiring tonight.. Tomorrow tho!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #92
Broseph Stalin will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
Broseph Stalin's Tacoma Gallery
QUESTION!--I have a 2010 PRERUNNER trd sport dbcb lb with the VSC button (car w tracks). I also live in the rockies (yes i know i should have a 4x4). Typically with snow I press the button, light up my tires for a quick second and off i go, today i read the entire post and learned of the 3 second rule (useful!). My question is; if i install the ABS switch and it disables trac and ABS, will i still be able to use the VSC button to turn off the VSC and AUTO LSD (3 sec) or will that re-enable my trac? basically will my 2 negatives = a positive????

please help...its 9 degrees and 1' of pow on the ground...i think the Yeti's will appear soon
Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #93
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
QUESTION!--I have a 2010 PRERUNNER trd sport dbcb lb with the VSC button (car w tracks). I also live in the rockies (yes i know i should have a 4x4). Typically with snow I press the button, light up my tires for a quick second and off i go, today i read the entire post and learned of the 3 second rule (useful!). My question is; if i install the ABS switch and it disables trac and ABS, will i still be able to use the VSC button to turn off the VSC and AUTO LSD (3 sec) or will that re-enable my trac? basically will my 2 negatives = a positive????

please help...its 9 degrees and 1' of pow on the ground...i think the Yeti's will appear soon
Whaddup Broseph!

You cannot re-engage TRAC or VSC if ABS is disabled (using this method anyway). The VSC & TRAC systems are dependent on the ABS system to function, so if you disable it you disable all 3 systems.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #94
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Benson!!!! What up mane, doing this mod next week so shout out to you for the tutorial!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Whaddup Broseph!

You cannot re-engage TRAC or VSC if ABS is disabled (using this method anyway). The VSC & TRAC systems are dependent on the ABS system to function, so if you disable it you disable all 3 systems.
BENSON X YOU'RE A GENIUS!

1. So once i do the ABS mod (granted i have the green wire setup) , hit the new switch, the only reason to press my VSC button will be to disable my auto LSD(3 sec), correct?

2. Auto LSD is the reason I hear the rapid beep alarm when my rear end slides out right?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #97
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BENSON X YOU'RE A GENIUS!

1. So once i do the ABS mod (granted i have the green wire setup) , hit the new switch, the only reason to press my VSC button will be to disable my auto LSD(3 sec), correct?

2. Auto LSD is the reason I hear the rapid beep alarm when my rear end slides out right?
Auto LSD is what tries to get you moving when a tire starts spinning.

VSC is what starts beeping out you because it thinks you have lost control and is trying to regain control.

When 1 of your rear tires starts to spin, the auto LSD will you the ABS system to pump the break on that tire to transfer power to the other rear tire to keep you moving. If both are spinning it can't help you though.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Auto LSD is what tries to get you moving when a tire starts spinning.

VSC is what starts beeping out you because it thinks you have lost control and is trying to regain control.

When 1 of your rear tires starts to spin, the auto LSD will you the ABS system to pump the break on that tire to transfer power to the other rear tire to keep you moving. If both are spinning it can't help you though.
which is exactly why i want to disable my auto LSD...because i only have 2 wheel drive. Usually if one wheel is spinning on snow the other is going to be spinning as well and the motor cuts all power to the rear axel. If i disable the auto LSD then i can free spin with my studded tires and sandbags and gain momentum . So I should still be able to disable the auto LSD after the mod right?

EDIT: My confusion might lie in the fact that when you hit the button it says AUTO LSD ON,,i have to hit the button to get going lol

Not trying to come across as an ass, just trying to be clear.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #99
...and we're back!

Quote:
which is exactly why i want to disable my auto LSD...because i only have 2 wheel drive. Usually if one wheel is spinning on snow the other is going to be spinning as well and the motor cuts all power to the rear axel. If i disable the auto LSD then i can free spin with my studded tires and sandbags and gain momentum . So I should still be able to disable the auto LSD after the mod right?

EDIT: My confusion might lie in the fact that when you hit the button it says AUTO LSD ON,,i have to hit the button to get going lol

With this mod you disable the LSD, VSC, TRAC, and ABS. So you are essentially running open/open diffs with no ABS. When it's 'ON', you will not experience any throttle-cut to the engine, nor will you have any traction-aid.

When its off, you still have full control over the VSC button like normal.

It sounds like that is want you want so you can just muscle through the snow and have more fun without all the e-tronics limiting your wheel-spin or power.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #100
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I am not very familiar with the newer systems that have the auto LSD, but the VSC is what shuts off the throttle for me. I did the 2Lo mod, that tricks the computer into thinking that I am in 4Hi when I am really in 2Hi. It turns VSC off while leaving Trac on and I basically have an electronic limited slip in the rear. I have always just assumed Auto LSD is just Trac for 2wd.

I just leave the switch flipped all the time and VSC is turned off while leaving ABS and Trac engaged for driving around town. The reasoning is there have been two occasions where I am waiting at a stop sign and have a gap in traffic and I go to shoot it and spin a tire and VSC kicks in and shuts off the throttle and I am now coasting when I should be pinned... (Luckily the gaps I shoot aren't that small and I have been ok both times) After that I found the 2Lo mod and it worked like I theorized for me. Now when I shoot a gap in traffic, not only does my throttle no longer shut off on me, but when that 1 tire starts to spin, Trac will start tapping the brake on that wheel to transfer power to the other wheel and keep me moving instead of just roasting a tire in place.

That mod likely won't work for you since you aren't a 4wd and I don't know if it works on the newer rigs anyway, but hopefully you get the idea of how the systems work from that.