1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4LO-Trac & ABS Kill Switch - Why/Why Not?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Benson X, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jan 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Okay, so after tons of reading, some blown fuses, and freezing my ass off in 25° weather, I have successfully done the ABS Kill-Switch AND the Yellow-Wire Mod.

Thanks to Milowilli, Sandman, and tacomafide for helping me figure out and troubleshoot the ABS mod!
    :D

This was on my 2011 V6 TRD Sport w/ VSC & TRAC Auto-Trans (no locker,no ATRAC, no TRD Off-Road pckg.)

These methods should be compatible on similar models (no OR pckg, no locker, TRAC equipped, VSC equipped), provided the wiring harnesses are the same.

That being said, I am not responsible for any damage, injury, or harm resulting from anyone attempting these mods. This is for informational purposes ONLY. If you do attempt these mods, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK!

-ABS KILL SWITCH-
    STEP 1: Unplug the Battery. Remove the trim on the Driver's Side to access the wiring harnesses behind the kick panel.

STEP 2: Unplug the white modular plug (IB1). It's the 2nd one down right next to the Parking Brake in the BLUE housing.
    (from CROM's thread):

DSC04499_e9219de1d9ce143d742bf3f6d909c31ff88a5779.jpg

STEP 3: Cut the LIGHT GREEN wire (as pictured). I chose to crimp on some quick-connect terminals so I could easily re-connect the wiring if needed, and wrapped it up with heat-shrink tubing.
    [​IMG]

STEP 4: Find a good SPST On/Off Switch to use, and choose a good location to install it. I grabbed this simple one from RadioShack.
    [​IMG]

I installed it right above my TPMS reset button. I prefer to have all my mods clean and discreet. 3/8" drill bit should do the job nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP 5: Measure (2) lengths of wire from the Green Wire you cut to your switch. I chose to run my wires along the existing wiring harnesses and tucked them into the plastic conduit for the TPMS wires.

Again, I wrapped all the connections in heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape. I crimped on a couple quick-connect terminals on the ends to plug into my switch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP 6: Connect your wire-leads to your switch and re-connect your battery. Give everything a once over and clean up the wiring as needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test it out!

When you press the switch, your ABS light will come on, and the VSC-Off light will also come on.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  2. Jan 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    -Yellow Wire Mod-

Again, this was on my 2011 V6 TRD Sport w/ VSC & TRAC Auto-Trans (no locker,no ATRAC, no TRD Off-Road pckg.)

This method should be compatible with similar models w/ TRAC equipped, provided the wiring harnesses are the same.

That being said, I am not responsible for any damage, injury, or harm resulting from anyone attempting these mods. This is for informational purposes ONLY. If you do attempt these mods, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK!

STEP 1: Disconnect the Battery. Remove your glovebox.

STEP 2: Unplug the TOP white plug on the right side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP 3: Either remove or clip the 2nd YELLOW w/ BLACK striped wire. I just removed the terminal from the plug itself and taped it up - that way it can easily be plugged in if needed.

[​IMG]

STEP 4: Plug it back in and test it. When working, traction control (TRAC) will be enabled in 4LO.

[​IMG]

*NOTE*: After doing this mod, the 4LO indicator light will FLASH when 4 LO is engaged. THIS IS NORMAL AND EXPECTED. The 4LO beeping will still occur if 4LO does not engage properly.

Additionally, you can wire up a simple SPST On/Off switch (like the one used above in the ABS Kill Switch mod) to stop the flashing light, though it is not necessary. To read more about the Yellow Wire Mod and/or using a switch for it, please see the original thread located HERE.

Here are some good videos showing it in action:
    http://youtu.be/liBYXljAMcQ
    http://youtu.be/TQxLeBbqZ5k
    http://youtu.be/G0AH1yIUp0A

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. Jan 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  4. Jan 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    pass the corn like a BM
    :popcorn:

5. Jan 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I guess I will be the guinea pig to test this out tomorrow.

Here's my plan:

• Do the YWM Mod by unplugging the #2 Yellow/Black Wire terminal from the plug (that way it can easily be plugged back in if there are any issues).
    • Do MiloWilli's ABS KILL Mod (for the non-OR, VSC) by running the LIGHT GREEN wire to a simple SPST Push On-Push Off switch. That too can easily be removed if there are any issues....
    • Check to see if it works, and in what combinations/drive modes.

6. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    updated the OP with pictures and detailed instructions

7. Jan 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So when you push the button do you now have traction control in 2wd without the throttle limiter?

I have a pre-09 with full traction control and that is probably my favorite mod yet. I have bypassed the ADD up front so that it kind of tricks the computer into thinking that I am in 4wd when I am still in 2wd (can be used to access 2lo as well). Well I just flip the switch and I can spin the tires without the traction control shutting off my throttle and TRAC is engaged so I get a limited slip effect now instead of just open diff. It's been pretty useful now that winter is here and the roads are snow covered.

8. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I only have the switch for killing ABS, which also disables my VSC/TRAC. I don't have a locker or ATRAC, so essentially when I disable ABS in 2HI, I am running an open diff in the rear. I would think due to this, engine output is still regulated when in 2HI.

I haven't tested it offroad yet, so I don't know if the throttle limiter is still in effect or not while in 4HI.

The YWM mod doesn't "require" a switch. It enables TRAC to be engaged in 4LO giving me LSDs front and back. It does require ABS to stop the slipping tire(s) from spinning and send the torque to the tire(s) that still have traction, so I wouldn't run the ABS kill in 4LO (since it would essentially cancel each other out and give me open diffs front and back).

I hope that makes sense, and I think I understand the functions correctly. I will have a better idea what all the different drive modes and capabilities are once I get off road and test it.

9. Jan 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    I know I should know this I've researched it enough. But I have the auto LSD. It is the one that uses brakes to stop wheel spin. Is this the method I use?

Slashaar likes this.
  10. Jan 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    I see. Yeah that makes sense. My switch just disables throttle regulation. I have a separate switch to disable abs.

So if you have the Electronic LSD, and disable VCS does that mean you would lose your LSD in the rear? I've never thought of that, and don't really have a way to test it though, since my ABS kill switch disables everything traction control related.

11. Jan 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Do you have VSC (the button w/ the squiggly tire tracks)?

Also, do you have the factory rear locker?

Depending on how you answer those (2) questions should determine which one to do (this one or CROM's)

Another way to check is remove your kick panel and scope out the wire in question...

Green Wire = this mod
    Blue w/ Yellow = CROM's method

Basically, yes. Since it's not a mechanical LSD and is braking controlled, disabling ABS will take away my electronic LSD as well (which is fine in 2HI/4HI). At least that's how I understood it, maybe I should try to shake the back-end loose (while ABS is disabled) and see if VSC/LSD kicks in.

What is the ADD switch you speak of? I'm kind of on this override/switch/ECU trick mod binge lately. Mainly because they are FREE and give me more control of my truck.

12. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    So you know how the older 4wd vehicles have manual hubs up front? Well we have an Automatic Disengaging Differential or ADD for short. When you flip the 4wd switch to 4Hi, the ECU tells it to engage (it has to be lined up just right to engage, this is why 4wd doesn't always engage instantly when you flip the switch). Once they ADD engages, it sends a signal to the ECU to tell it that it is engaged, then the transfer case will engage the front drive shaft (pretty much instantaneous) and you are in 4wd.

Well I have a switch that when I flip it, it tells the ECU that the ADD is engaged even though it really isn't. Allows me to shift into 4Lo and I am really in 2Lo (front driveshaft still spins but since one of the front axles (the passenger one) is disconnected from the diff it will just free spin that side gear and the front end gets little to no power.

Well I have a 2005 with full traction control and 05's don't have a vcs off button like all of the other years do. So when I am in 2wd I have full traction control no matter what. In 4Hi I have front and rear TRAC but without throttle control. So my thought was I can flip this switch and shift into 4hi and eliminate throttle control and gain LSD in 2wd. Well even better, I just have to flip the switch and throttle control is disabled in 2wd and I have my LSD in the rear. Sadly I don't think TRAC is nearly as responsive as ATRAC (which I don't gain until I go to 4Lo), so on pavement I can still light one tire up pretty good (I have 4.88 diff gears) before it engages much. It is pretty helpful in ice and gravel though because the LSD seems more responsive.

13. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Okay I'm going to check when I get off work or in the morning. This could have helped so much in the snow yesterday

14. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    It is REALLY nice having the ability to disable ABS. I'm in Olympia, WA and we had "freezing fog" for 3 days straight which made for some great black-ice driving. Turning off ABS made a HUGE difference in stopping distance and control.

The Yellow-Wire Mod is just a nice plus for off-roading. My non-locked Sport has done really well without it, and kept up with more capable rigs, so I'm excited to see how much of a difference it will make.

Quick note regarding TRAC/VSC turning off when using the ABS kill-switch: I just tried to get squirrely and break the back end loose, and I couldn't do it. It feels like TRAC is still functioning in 2HI...more tests to run though.

Back to the lab!!!

15. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Hmmm wish there was a bypass but oh well

I'm going to do the ywm too. Just don't know which ottratta switches to buy

16. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Yours will be different than mine, but when TRAC engages I have a light on the dash that will blink 2 or 3 times.

17. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I didn't wire up a switch for the YWM mod. I read the only reason it would be useful is to stop the 4LO indicator from blinking.

It's up to you, I saw one guy who installed the ATRAC switch down by his cig lighter and it works great for him.

18. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Mine usually does the same thing when TRAC or VSC is actively working. When I manually disable it (by pressing the VSC button for 3+ seconds) I can do burnouts easily.

I disabled ABS, so the VSC-Off and ABS lights come ON and ABS is definitely disabled but it doesn't feel like the rear diff is open and I can't burnout like I normally can, so I don't know if TRAC/VSC is truly disabled or if the light just comes on.

More tests to do, preferably in a more controlled environment NOT on pavement :D

19. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Was that pointed at me?

So in normal 2wd when I spin a tire I have a light on that dash that blinks at me as the throttle shuts off. In 4wd and with my switch flipped, that same light will flash at me when the LSD is working.

20. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    ^^^No, fixed it.

I have the similar indicator (another squiggly car that blinks and a beeping sound) when VSC is working. The way I understood it from Toyota's diagram, in 2HI the throttle is regulated but not in 4HI.

Here are some diagrams that are kind of confusing, but helped me understand the different functionality of each system:
    MODES_of_operation-1_b471e7cd2ee5ff8792509afba2a54dbad1d513c2.jpg
    ToyotaDriveModes-1_fb6bbc2bfd62c6f7514057a58e9345cc0002c14f.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top