Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Counting more than 3 shifts in my 03 Auto??

Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Counting more than 3 shifts in my 03 Auto??

Okay, I may sound stupid here, but I thought a 4 speed w/overdrive meant 3 gears, and an overdrive gear as the 4th, right?

When I drive, I'll count 1-2, 2-3, 3-4... then another shift? My RPMS drop another time.

Do we have locking torque converters that would cause it to stop slipping and drop my RPMs another ~1000 RPM?

A friend mentioned something about some auto transmissions having "high and low gears", which, frankly, I'm not buying.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
It should be 4 gears plus overdrive making it like a 5 speed. Your shifter should have L,2,3,D that's 4 gears plus overdrive.
4th is the overdrive. He is experiencing 3shifts, then the torque converter locking up. Many thinks its another gear, which its not.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
It should be 4 gears plus overdrive making it like a 5 speed. Your shifter should have L,2,3,D that's 4 gears plus overdrive.
I'm not math major but L-2-3-D is only 4 gears

OP, what you're probably feeling is the torque convertor locking and thinking it's a shift point. I know the 2nd Gens have a locking torque convertor and you can feel when it locks/unlocks. I'm not if the first gens have that though.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure your feeling the torque converter locking up as previous posts suggest. I feel it in my 2013 everyday. I also own a f350 powerstroke, and in 3rd when torque converter locks I lose 300 rpm and it really feels and sounds like you switched gears.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
4th is the overdrive. He is experiencing 3shifts, then the torque converter locking up. Many thinks its another gear, which its not.
That's what I was thinking. So our 1st gens DO have locking torque converters?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
Yup.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm not math major but L-2-3-D is only 4 gears

OP, what you're probably feeling is the torque convertor locking and thinking it's a shift point. I know the 2nd Gens have a locking torque convertor and you can feel when it locks/unlocks. I'm not if the first gens have that though.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

Looks like I was late to this party. All the info is spot-on for what was being felt. All normal.