1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

electrical question - wiring a winch - front and rear

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jaunty, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    jaunty

jaunty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 V6 TRD Automatic 4x4
    hello,

my winch came with a "fixed" positive 2/0 gauge wire coming out of it. I plan on adding a quick connect in its place so that i can move the winch from front to rear of my truck when i need to. I had planned on using 4/0 wire to run to the rear to accomodate voltage drop. My question is, what good would it to since i'd be cutting the stock 2/0 wire to put the quick connect and 4/0 on it? Would this small piece of 2/0 negate the 4/0 i'm using and heat up too quickly? i havent take the winch solenoid apart but i might be able to wire in the 4/0 all the way. The truck and winch folks told me to cut the wire, but it doesnt make much sense if i'm adding a thicker gauge in the mix.

my next question is on the ground cable. Does this have to be the same or greater gauge than the positive wire?

I will likely be grounding to the frame in the rear of the truck, then beefing the ground from the battery to the frame so i can ground it to the frame in the front as well.. not sure yet, might just ground directly to battery up front.

thoughts appreciated. :)

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    You have the right idea about the grounds.

The short piece of 2/0 won't affect you. Just remember to to fuse for the 2/0 and not the 4/0.

3. Jan 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If the winch came with 2/0 wire, then going with 4/0 wire from the battery to the back won't hurt anything. If the 2/0 wire is sufficient to run the winch, it won't heat up any more than it normally would, the 4/0 wire upstream won't affect it.

I always make my grounds the same gauge as the supply.

Products Discussed in

To Top