Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

electrical question - wiring a winch - front and rear

Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
jaunty is on a distinguished road
jaunty's Tacoma Gallery
electrical question - wiring a winch - front and rear

hello,

my winch came with a "fixed" positive 2/0 gauge wire coming out of it. I plan on adding a quick connect in its place so that i can move the winch from front to rear of my truck when i need to. I had planned on using 4/0 wire to run to the rear to accomodate voltage drop. My question is, what good would it to since i'd be cutting the stock 2/0 wire to put the quick connect and 4/0 on it? Would this small piece of 2/0 negate the 4/0 i'm using and heat up too quickly? i havent take the winch solenoid apart but i might be able to wire in the 4/0 all the way. The truck and winch folks told me to cut the wire, but it doesnt make much sense if i'm adding a thicker gauge in the mix.

my next question is on the ground cable. Does this have to be the same or greater gauge than the positive wire?

I will likely be grounding to the frame in the rear of the truck, then beefing the ground from the battery to the frame so i can ground it to the frame in the front as well.. not sure yet, might just ground directly to battery up front.

thoughts appreciated.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
You have the right idea about the grounds.

The short piece of 2/0 won't affect you. Just remember to to fuse for the 2/0 and not the 4/0.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If the winch came with 2/0 wire, then going with 4/0 wire from the battery to the back won't hurt anything. If the 2/0 wire is sufficient to run the winch, it won't heat up any more than it normally would, the 4/0 wire upstream won't affect it.

I always make my grounds the same gauge as the supply.