Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Electric fan wiring and temp question

Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
cicada83 is on a distinguished road
cicada83's Tacoma Gallery
Electric fan wiring and temp question

I am converting my mechanical clutch fan to an electric unit I bought from LCE. The question I have is I tapped into my radio 12v on my fuse box when I wired my fogs. Can I use that same connection for the 12v fan connection? Or will it overload it. I am thinking it just is signaling it to turn on and not powering so it should be okay...right?

Other question is once it is installed it says to calibrate it to turn on at a certan temp. Anyone have suggestions on how to do this and/what temp it should it start running at?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
@ 176º ~ 183º F - thermostat opens.
@ 171º F - thermostat closes.

For power, it should be like a 30amp motor - don't use your radio/fog tap. There are a few open pins at the engine fuse box. Use any of those or a direct connection to (+) battery pole.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
There is a direct battery connection but for the fan to turn on only when the car is on it requires a 12v ignition hook up. Still use the fuse box in engine compartment?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Which wire you have questions on?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post

Which wire you have questions on?
Yes this is the diagram. The main question is the 12v thermostatic wire. I have my 12 v tapped into from wiring aftermarket fogs on the stereo in the cab. Can I use this? Or is there a better option in the engine compartment fuse box?

Also where is the positive wire for the ac compressor for the green wire hook up?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
Lurker No More

2 choices -
1. With always hot selection-fan runs until low temp reached after engine off.
2. With ACC selected (in cab) fan off with vehicle off. (unless override switch used)

Since small red wire is relay select then it's fine to jumper into stereo/fog location.

Only one purple wire going into compressor.(covered in black loom)
Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
Quote:
2 choices -
1. With always hot selection-fan runs until low temp reached after engine off.
2. With ACC selected (in cab) fan off with vehicle off. (unless override switch used)

Since small red wire is relay select then it's fine to jumper into stereo/fog location.

Only one purple wire going into compressor.(covered in black loom)
Is the compressor the pulley on the front of the engine, right top with a canaster on top of it? I have the 2.7
Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Good info, saving this one for later!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Lurker No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada83 View Post
Is the compressor the pulley on the front of the engine, right top with a canaster on top of it? I have the 2.7
Hmmm...that be the power steering pump..it's the one below...

Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Lurker No More

Or You may also tap into the compressor relay pin 3, that way no wires are cut. Cramp stripped wire into slot/use a modified(flat) ATM fuse tap/etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Quote:
Or You may also tap into the compressor relay pin 3, that way no wires are cut. Cramp stripped wire into slot/use a modified(flat) ATM fuse tap/etc.

Perfect! Thanks for all the help on this!