1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warm hesitation/stutter

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Neight08, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jan 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    Neight08

Neight08 [OP] Member

Member:
    I need some help figuring out what is causing my truck to hesitate. I have a 96 2.4l auto with about 110k miles on it.

On cold start ups the truck starts fine, idles fine, and drives great. The hesitation starts about 10 minutes later when the truck warms up. The hesitation happens with light/normal throttle after it shifts into second between 15-20 mph. It always happens right at that spot.

I have also noticed that at a certain throttle position, when held steady the truck will start to stutter. When going up a slight incline the truck will struggle and stutter.

The problems only occurs with normal throttle. If I was to drive it hard then I don't feel it.

On my last ecu reset I noticed that the truck would run perfect. No hesitation/stutter and the gas mileage seemed alot better. I also noticed that the gas peddle felt a lot smoother compared to when the hesitation/stutter is around then the peddle feels tight and rough. But after about 40 or so miles the hesitation problems all came back.

The truck has also has very bad gas mileage.

Things I have changed since getting the truck:
    spark plugs- denso
    Wires- ngk
    Dist cap-Bosch
    Rotor-Bosch
    Pre cat 02-denso
    Fuel filter-previous owner recently changed it

I have cleaned the maf, throttle body, iac valve.

I am thinking that it's either the tps, ect, or a clogged cat.

What do you all think?

2. Jan 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Ive heard of this with a clogged cat. Cant say for sure. Check your fuel pump.
    Have you tried running premium for a tank?

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    Neight08

Neight08 [OP] Member

Member:
    How do I check the fuel pump? Am I checking for voltage?

I haven't tried premium gas, I will on my next fill up which will be soon because this truck guzzles gas.

4. Jan 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
  5. Jan 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    Neight08

Neight08 [OP] Member

Member:
    OK so after driving it yesterday and today without changing anything, I am having the hesitation during the warm up instead of when the truck gets to full "warm" normal temps. So after letting the cold engine warm up for about 3 mins I drive off taking it easy and about 5-10 minutes into it it starts to stutter and hesitate. Again it happens after shifting into 2nd (auto trans). It will mostly do it after that 2nd gear.

When the engine gets what I am thinking is "fully warm" and up to normal operating temp, the hesitation goes away and the truck drives proper. The throttle feels a lot more responsive and overall great.

Now what could it be? Ect? Thermostat? Egr?

Any help will be grateful. Thank you.

6. Jan 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Bad thermostat causing the engine to think it is not warming up, therefore making it run rich and burn more gas? I have no idea really, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night :cool:

7. Jan 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    Have you checked the voltage between you cats for the o2 sensors to see if they are switching at the normal rates. I believe you have a cat on its way out. Another way to test this is use an infrared temp gun. If the post temp is say 375 and the exiting temp off the cat is 390 the cat is not working the way it should. If the cat is bad why did it go bad? Check for misfires and any large vacuum leaks

8. Jan 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Neight08

Neight08 [OP] Member

Member:
    I put in an new pre cat 02 sensor about a week ago. It made it better. I will check the post cat 02 and see if I can find someone with a infrared temp gun to check the temps.

9. Jan 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    Neight08

Neight08 [OP] Member

Member:
    OK so I checked the temp of the catalytic converter with a infrared thermometer. Inlet is 400f and outlet 460f.

Also lower Rad hose temp at Tstat reads 150f and upper hose right at the radiator is 140f. Is that about right? This is after driving in traffic for about 15 minutes.

10. Dec 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    So I've had this sporatic stutter starting back in Sept. First it happened while idling. Then on the highway crusing at 60-65mph. Couple of stutters then smoothed out. Took it to shop and they did not find and CEL codes. PCV valve good, no leaks or other issues found. They recommended a fuel system flush and to change spark plugs based on age and milage. I had them do the fuel system flush (which was probably a waste - seems like a scam) and I did the spark plugs because I was just about due anyway. Truck had about 98,000 miles. Still stuttering - so I ran a couple tanks of 93 octane and the stuttering stopped for about a month. Figured I was in the clear and that it was probably a bad tank of gas causing the problem. Now I am back to 87 octane which I've been running in the truck since new and I am getting the stutter back again after only it did not return right away after going back to 87.

What else could be the problem? Could it be electrical/computer related? Almost seems like it is searching for a gear - transmission? I've also done the ATF change hoping that would help. (I know there is a specific procedure to follow and has to be done at correct temp - I followed the procedure successfully).

Maintenance in order:
    MAF cleaned
    Engine air filter changed
    No CEL codes
    System pressure checked
    Fuel system flushed
    Spark plugs changed
    2 tanks 93 octane
    Fuel stabilizer added to 1 tank of 87
    ATF changed

Next: ??
    fuel filter
    fuel pump
    timing chain check
    reflash computer
    ??
    ??

11. Dec 3, 2014 at 5:52 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    help!

12. Dec 4, 2014 at 6:09 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Still need help. It was running rough at idle last night, not even in gear. Can't be transmission or anything drive train related. I'm due for emissions test so hopefully that will tell me if the cat is bad or o2 sensor.

13. Dec 7, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    this gremlin is being chased by many and there is no smoking gun to point to but you did what needed doing first so now it comes down to poor fuel pressure from a fuel pump issue of a clogged cat.

I don't see fuel pressure making much sense in these cases so look at your cat, it may be full of soot and not flowing freely causing too much back pressure.

by the way I have the same exact thing going on and cant find a solution either but my intake manifold and EGR was heavily sooted up so I bet I have a clogged cat as well but I don't have a temp gage to check it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  14. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:21 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    So the shop said they found the problem. It was a misfire on cylinder #5. It was only misfiring 10 times out of 9000 cycles so it wasn't enough to triggle a CEL. Anyway, they replaced the spark plug coils on that cylinder and it was still misfiring so they replaced the injector. Problem seems to be solved now but I've only driven about 50 miles since it was fixed.

Products Discussed in

To Top