Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Steering Shaft Fire wall Bushing/ Gusset/ Seal???? WTF Just a ??

Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Steering Shaft Fire wall Bushing/ Gusset/ Seal???? WTF Just a ??

So I was doing some work to my steering shaft and had to smack the link around a little bit to get it apart. Upon reinstallation I noticed a clinking sound when I pulled back and forth on the wheel.
I am not worried about it really but in my quest to learn my truck through and through Id like a little more information.
I have narrowed it down to where the steering shaft from the wheel goes through the fire wall. The shaft has a wabble which then clinks against the fire wall (almost positive this is it).
I am just curious as to what the seal for this is. Just a rubber gusset? or Seal? Is there a bearing or washers in there somewhere? Could I have loosened this up while ringing away at the link?

Here is a painful picture as a reference (actually I had fun making it so f^k you if you dont like it)
Steering Shaft Fire wall Bushing/ Gusset/ Seal???? WTF Just a ??-haha.png
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
its just a rubber grommet thing...mine fell out just slid down the shaft.....it wont stay in haha
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

heres pix of mine

Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yep thats the one. Any one elses clink?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

mine did but turned out to be loose spindle bolts....i think on hard hit the shaft hits the firewall....makes a super loud bang, almost like the shaft snapped.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
VA6DCO

It seems too free in there. Oh well, we'll see if it tries to fall apart on me. haha
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

have you done the zip tie mod? it tightened my steering some
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
VA6DCO

Lets hear it>
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #9

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...olumn-fix.html
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
VA6DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
Thats ridiculious. Gotta check it out.