1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Misfire cylinder #3 driving me crazy!!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Halojr, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jan 14, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    Halojr

Halojr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner SR5
    CYLINDER #3 MISFIRE

I have a 99 tacoma V6 prerunner with 252,000 miles. I am the original owner and have taken great care of it. Check engine light came on and engine had rough start and idle it also skipped and jerked when accelerating around 40-55mph. So far I started out small eliminating all the quick fix solutions. Plugs and wires were good. Cleaned mass airflow sensor and throttle body, swapped ignition coils around still same problem rough idle then after the engine warms up it skips almost on cue i'm assuming that's the cylinder #3 misfiring. Went ahead replaced fuel injector.......same problem. had a compression test done cylinder 3 was low as engine warmed up compression came back up. Took for test drive afterwards same problem especially when reaching speeds of 40-55mph truck skips and jerks really bad. Took to a 2nd mechanic and he said to replace my ignition control module (his scanner picked up multiple misfires) wasn't cheap about $400 still same problemhttp://i.cdn2.tacomaworld.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif. Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Let me get this right, you had low compression on a cylinder, and a mechanic told you to replace the ICM? Sounds like you need a new mechanic! If you have low compression, then that is your culprit for your misfire right there. Do a cylinder leakdown test, find the cause of the low compression. Stop changing out ignition parts!

3. Jan 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    Halojr

Halojr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner SR5
    Thanks for the reply. I plan on having a leak down test done next week. The reason he told me to buy a new ICM (igniter) was because it was popping codes of several cylinders misfiring. So after he replaced the ICM and that didn't do a damn thing I was beyond upset. He said I more than likely have a burnt exhaust valve or a cracked valve seat, and a valve job would cost roughly $1,300 with labor. Thank you I obviously plan on not going back there again. Thanks again for the help, let you know the results of the leak down test next week.

Products Discussed in

To Top