Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Truck wanders on freeway after lift and alignment

Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
315/75/16 and when it's aligned it tracks straight for us. But our spindles are bent so it gets aligned a lot.
And you guys have some of the worst roads on this planet.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
your what hurts!?!?!?
Boosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud of
Name: Zeb
Boosted TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
Holy shit. Do you have any pictures? Haha
I do, but they weren't on a Tacoma. They were on a RAM 2500 4x4 diesel. Don't wanna hijacktthe thread. I'll find another place to post em up. Back on topic LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol, fuck you
You do. The last time I drove down there....well....the 10 actually.....I wanted to kill people. I thought my tires were all flat...and square.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
And you guys have some of the worst roads on this planet.
Its all the mall parking lots....

This one time Jasmine was behind the wheel while we were on one of the race courses in Johnson Valley and hit a huge hole..steering wheel ended up in the 10 o'clock position women drivers
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
your what hurts!?!?!?
Boosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud of
Quote:
Lol, fuck you
he is right CA hwys suck balz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You do. The last time I drove down there....well....the 10 actually.....I wanted to kill people. I thought my tires were all flat...and square.
Try the 405 or 110, 91, 605...Fuck it they all suck ass!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #26
your what hurts!?!?!?
Quote:
I didn't notice any difference when we were in AZ or UT.. We definitely have a bigger shitty driver ratio though.
Right again! Hahaha & most of them are driving the prius...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't notice any difference when we were in AZ or UT.. We definitely have a bigger shitty driver ratio though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted TRD View Post
Right again! Hahaha & most of them are driving the prius...
Yup theres no arguing with that haha
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
I can't talk shit about the Pruis, we saw this dude accelerate so fast in that sucker we were caught off guard lmao. Faster than we thought they were capable of
True story
Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
your what hurts!?!?!?
Quote:
I can't talk shit about the Pruis, we saw this dude accelerate so fast in that sucker we were caught off guard lmao. Faster than we thought they were capable of
I can! Hahaha there fugly, slow, handle like shit & 99% of the ppl that I see driving them look like they learned to drive at Disneyland, in other words drive like ass holes who don't realize the mirrors are there to look for other cars & not for looking at there stuck up selves. They drive like they think they own the road & there shit don't stink...end rant lol
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not surprised. The Prius has better weight-to-power ratio than a 4 cyl Tacoma. Plus the electric motor torque is instant.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
the tech at les schwab seemed to think there was no more adjustment and that was the best he could do, but from what i've read, with the new UCAs, it shouldn't be a problem to get it to the 0 Toe, 0 Camber, 2.5+ Caster specs, correct?
Ask the mechanic to dial in more caster (> 2.5 deg like Chris said). More caster = better on-center tracking.

Toe angle of -0.01 deg works out to 0.003" runout over 16" (diameter of the rim), which is within the machining tolerance of your rims. Your toe is basically 0. If more precision is needed (say, race car), you would need to remove the wheel and bolt on a jig plate:

Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #32
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
cool guys, thanks for all the input! i'm going to be calling up the specialized alignment shop in the morning to set up an appointment.

i didn't have high hopes for the les schwab alignment... mainly i just wanted at least some sort of alignment on there before i headed up to the mountains for some snowboarding that weekend after installing the lift. i also drive 50 miles/day RT for work, so...

so final question: with a simple 3" OME lift and aftermarket Camburg UCAs should there be any problem with getting those 0 Toe, 0 Camber, 2.4+ Caster alignment specs or was the Les Schwab tech just half-assing it?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
undersc0re is on a distinguished road
undersc0re's Tacoma Gallery
My 2008 access cab 4x4 wanders quite often, I had a 79 f250 with 40" tires and it compares to that! This truck I bought 6 months ago, I had all the wheels balanced and an alignment checked, they said its good and nothing needs to be done. I have been to 2 shops now, they both did test drives and said nothing is wrong....quick tests though....This may sound funny but I can't take my eyes off the road at all or I am wandering off somewhere easily! This is a stock truck as far as I can tell! No accidents recorded etc. Is there something else I can do to fix the wandering issue? Its winter and I have no garage to play in, was thinking of checking for play everywhere, it has 60,000 KM on it now. I guess when spring comes I can check it all out but thought maybe these certain models have an issue with a part wearing out every 30,000km or so(like rear axle to spring mounting hardware for example). I had a car with this issue with its front hub bearings assembly lol. Thanks!

Truck wanders on freeway after lift and alignment-2013.jpg
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #34
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Manufacturer specs for alignment of your truck are:

Camber - 0.1* +/- 0.75*
Caster - 2.0* +/- 0.75*
SAI angle - 0.5* or less
Toe - 0.12* +/- 0.2*

This is changed dependent on several things such as tire size. Since your tire size is not listed in factory specs, I used the tallest tire listed. Also things such as SAI angle, which is not shown in your printout that I saw, can affect road wandering. Lift angle will change wander as well. Lift angle is the change from factory "rake". If you level a truck, this brings the front of the truck up. by doing this you increase the amount of air that goes under the truck, which at higher speeds can cause a slight "lift" allowing the vehicle to wander somewhat. I mention all of this just so that all of the information is out there. Not everyone has road wander, and as mentioned, road condition will GREATLY affect it as well. Personally if I had your truck on my alignment rack I would have dialed you in as:
Caster - 2.4*
Camber - .1* on left, .15* on right
SAI is not adjustable
Toe - .4* left .4* right, total toe .8*

Assuming you still had a slight stance that was nose-down. If your stance was nose high, and you had oversized tires and a large lift, I would be dialing in a bit of neg camber, and rack the caster up to max allowable of 2.75*
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
undersc0re is on a distinguished road
undersc0re's Tacoma Gallery
The tires are 265 70 r16. I imagine thats stock, everything else is. When my budget allows this spring I will have an alignment shop check it out and suggest the specs you showed me...hopefully he will agree. The roads don't matter as it does it everywhere pretty much worse at higher speeds.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #36
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
The wandering is all in the lack of caster. under 2 is crap for these trucks. If you like a tight steering have them set it around 2.8. Drives great, straight, and still corners pretty tight. That's why you bought the uca's to fix the lack of caster from the lift. Take it back and tell him what you want.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #37
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
You can't just blanket the wander as only with caster. As mentioned before there are a LOT of things that can cause wander. Though I think they should have put it at a bit more caster than they did. Remember also that when you increase caster you increase steering effort at higher speeds. you need to find the right balance.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #38
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
are you talking to me or undersc0re (or both of us!)?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #39
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
are you talking to me or undersc0re (or both of us!)?
Probably me and you. Yes, caster is not the only thing that can cause that. Loose steering components and the wider tires will also want to wander. The more the caster the tougher the steering. As said before you will need to have the tech find a sweet spot that you like.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #40

Firefighter:
gotcha... it's starting to click now. i've got an appointment with a pretty well-recommended alignment shop for friday afternoon. i'll see how this pans out.