Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Truck wanders on freeway after lift and alignment

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #41
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I was commenting on the specific quote of "The wandering is all in the lack of caster." I was thinking that you were saying it was all inclusive to the caster. Hence my comment.

David, if you can put up a copy of your next alignment specs and let us know how it drives after. I for one am curious how much the changes help. Good luck to you.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #42
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I understand how that could have been interpreted that way. No worries man. I didn't want the OP confused either. On a side note that chick always makes me watch your sig ha
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #43
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
will do!

i installed a set of energy suspension polyurethane steering rack bushings last night and it made a noticeable difference driving into work this morning. still wandered a bit, but not nearly as much. i have high hopes that a good alignment will get back to a controlled drive.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #44
Canes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EAOS 83'
Canes58's Tacoma Gallery
Can you 2 continue this discussion? I'm gettin dizzy.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #45
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Let me ask you this OP, Have you inspected all of the bushings on both the upper AND lower control arms, as well as the steering gear bushings for wear? ANY of these that are worn would DEFINITELY cause road wander.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #46
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Fair question! I just installed brand new Camburg UCAs, so that's all new. I installed Moog LBJs but did not do anything with the LCA mounts. The steering rack bushings I just replaced last night were definitely toast.

I've heard that the LCA bushings are a huge pain... so I'm hoping that a true alignment will solve 90%+ of my problem, which I suspect it will. If not, the LCA bushings will be tackled next.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #47
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
If the guy doing the alignment is smart he will check all that first and try to upsell you stuff before he can do the alignment. In which case, replace the parts yourself then take it back for the alignment.
Canes like watching our convo too. So here ya go bud.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #48
BIGPOPPA is on a distinguished road

Navy: Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman
Name: Jerry
BIGPOPPA's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for good info. My truck is doing the same thing since I installed my lift (Toytec + 5100s and AAL). It wanders just a bit definitely not that bad. I just figured it was normal and because the shop that did my alignment had forewarned me that lifts, or any change to factory suspension, will possibly hinder them from getting alignment to stock settings and that they will get it as close to stock as possible.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #49
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
sub'd for good info. My truck is doing the same thing since I installed my lift (Toytec + 5100s and AAL). It wanders just a bit definitely not that bad. I just figured it was normal and because the shop that did my alignment had forewarned me that lifts, or any change to factory suspension, will possibly hinder them from getting alignment to stock settings and that they will get it as close to stock as possible.
With a lift you will usually not WANT your alignment to stock specs. The handling specs of a lifted truck change, therefore the alignment specs should reflect that change.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #50
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
New UCA's?.......Did you keep stock?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #51

Firefighter:
sorry, i did not keep them. they were off of a first-gen as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #52
undersc0re is on a distinguished road
undersc0re's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has to do with wander after a mod, but I have the wander without mods, just thought I would ask in this thread about my wander, it also seems like wander/play in steering, in the 2008's do the steering rack bushings go bad? I came across a thread and wondered if it related to my year of truck and my issue, thread is here, http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2008715

Has anyone here tried it, does it work good? I was thinking of doing the rollpin or 2 instead of the welding. Maybe jb weld squished into there would work as well...lol? Is there some sort of steering damper in the actual steering wheel that relates to the play in the steering system?

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #53

Firefighter:
i've done that mod on this tacoma (second day of owning it) and on my previous 2000 tacoma. made a huge difference both times! highly recommended. though i'm not sure what the design is like on a second-gen tacoma compared to a first gen. if it's a similar design to a first-gen, definitely go for it!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #54

Firefighter:
quick update: last friday, the shop called and said their laser alignment system was having issues so we rescheduled for this coming friday (1/25). will update post-alignment with changes and results.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #55

Firefighter:
Just got back from Dynamic Diesel & Bear Alignment in Snohomish, WA. Very impressed.

Quick work (in-and-out in right about an hour), and done right. The alignment guy there is apparently the third generation of the original Bear Alignment owners/founders and has been doing alignments his whole life. He was able to get me to 3.6/3.7 Caster, 0.00/0.00 Toe and 0.00/0.01 Camber. Steering wheel is perfectly aligned.

Silly Les Schwab saying I was maxed out at 1.6 caster.

Driving home, truck felt very stable and the wander is all but gone. There's still a hint, but that's easily explained by crappy, gooved roads and wider tires. I'm more than pleased with the results, and the customer service was excellent. The true testament is that they are this good at 4pm on a Friday.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #56
Yea that thing should drive like a champ. The tires will give ya the wander now. That goes without saying though.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #57

Firefighter:
yep, and I completely understand that a lifted truck with larger, wider tires on it *will* handle/drive at least a little differently. this thing drives great now!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #58
undersc0re is on a distinguished road
undersc0re's Tacoma Gallery
I am desperate to fix my wandering issue as well, what does too much caster cause in terms of tire wear or handling issues etc? I was thinking of going back to the shop and telling them to set caster to at least 3 after doing a check for worn components of course. Right now caster is at 2.0 and I am bone stock on everything. Basically wondering what adding a lot more caster would do in terms of handling/wear on a stock vehicle?

thx
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #59

Firefighter:
Someone with a better understanding of alignment adjustments should chime in, but I don't think caster will affect tires wear one way or another, just steering and straight line stability.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #60
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
I am desperate to fix my wandering issue as well, what does too much caster cause in terms of tire wear or handling issues etc? I was thinking of going back to the shop and telling them to set caster to at least 3 after doing a check for worn components of course. Right now caster is at 2.0 and I am bone stock on everything. Basically wondering what adding a lot more caster would do in terms of handling/wear on a stock vehicle?

thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
Someone with a better understanding of alignment adjustments should chime in, but I don't think caster will affect tires wire one way or another, just steering and straight line stability.
Correct ^^^
Caster only affects the vehicles self centering characteristics, and when turning. Too much, and the steering effort increases, but vehicle is less likely to wander, too little, and steering is easy, but vehicle can wander. Im over simplifying it, but thats the basics.