Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Truck wanders on freeway after lift and alignment

Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #61
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from Dynamic Diesel & Bear Alignment in Snohomish, WA. Very impressed.

Quick work (in-and-out in right about an hour), and done right. The alignment guy there is apparently the third generation of the original Bear Alignment owners/founders and has been doing alignments his whole life. He was able to get me to 3.6/3.7 Caster, 0.00/0.00 Toe and 0.00/0.01 Camber. Steering wheel is perfectly aligned.

Silly Les Schwab saying I was maxed out at 1.6 caster.

Driving home, truck felt very stable and the wander is all but gone. There's still a hint, but that's easily explained by crappy, gooved roads and wider tires. I'm more than pleased with the results, and the customer service was excellent. The true testament is that they are this good at 4pm on a Friday.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #62
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Yea that thing should drive like a champ. The tires will give ya the wander now. That goes without saying though.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #63
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
yep, and I completely understand that a lifted truck with larger, wider tires on it *will* handle/drive at least a little differently. this thing drives great now!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #64
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
yep, and I completely understand that a lifted truck with larger, wider tires on it *will* handle/drive at least a little differently. this thing drives great now!
Awesome!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
undersc0re is on a distinguished road
undersc0re's Tacoma Gallery
I am desperate to fix my wandering issue as well, what does too much caster cause in terms of tire wear or handling issues etc? I was thinking of going back to the shop and telling them to set caster to at least 3 after doing a check for worn components of course. Right now caster is at 2.0 and I am bone stock on everything. Basically wondering what adding a lot more caster would do in terms of handling/wear on a stock vehicle?

thx
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #66

Firefighter:
Someone with a better understanding of alignment adjustments should chime in, but I don't think caster will affect tires wear one way or another, just steering and straight line stability.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #67
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
I am desperate to fix my wandering issue as well, what does too much caster cause in terms of tire wear or handling issues etc? I was thinking of going back to the shop and telling them to set caster to at least 3 after doing a check for worn components of course. Right now caster is at 2.0 and I am bone stock on everything. Basically wondering what adding a lot more caster would do in terms of handling/wear on a stock vehicle?

thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
Someone with a better understanding of alignment adjustments should chime in, but I don't think caster will affect tires wire one way or another, just steering and straight line stability.
Correct ^^^
Caster only affects the vehicles self centering characteristics, and when turning. Too much, and the steering effort increases, but vehicle is less likely to wander, too little, and steering is easy, but vehicle can wander. Im over simplifying it, but thats the basics.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #68
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post

thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Correct ^^^
Caster only affects the vehicles self centering characteristics, and when turning. Too much, and the steering effort increases, but vehicle is less likely to wander, too little, and steering is easy, but vehicle can wander. Im over simplifying it, but thats the basics.
Spot on! Caster has no affect on tire wear. It only affects handling and steering recenter.