Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

K&N Cold air intake - Has anyone actually experienced prolonged issues?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Toyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brady
Toyota Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question K&N Cold air intake - Has anyone actually experienced prolonged issues?

I have been researching the k&n cold air lately and keep coming upon these threads and statements assuring everyone they are no good and will cause harm.

I nor agree or disagree with these statements and accusations but.....

Has anyone had problems proven to be associated with the filter ? Increased oil consumption, low compression, scored cylinder walls etc?

Iv seen charts on silicon levels and such but is it enough to actually cause harm during average use?

I know the oil will gum up the MAF from time to time but its an easy fix with electronic cleaner spray.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Super Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Grayson
Super Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I had it for 3 years or so. Never had a problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Johnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Johnsredline's Tacoma Gallery
I've ran a K&N for a year now and havent had any issues. The tube is dust free, MAF is clean, and it runs like a champ.

I honestly think all the bad talk of the K&N intakes is from people who improperly oil their filters. K&N has been around a long time and doesnt seem like they have issues in other filters (quads, dirtbikes, go-karts, etc).
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I ran K&N for 4 yrs on my old truck never had a problem.. installed on my 2010.. and less than 10k and my MAF was messed up.. K&N at fault? I can't say for sure.. but I did remove it..and saw that my charcoal filter was soaked in oil.. ( I never recharged it prior to this date was brand new..)